Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 yard pest remover

Boolit Master

50 yard pest remover

I have a martin birdhouse that requires maintenance in the form of sparrow removal. The distance is 50 yards. Our crossman 760's don't get it done with consistancy. Will the older type of benjamin pump 22 air gun have suitable (1 1/2 inch) accuracy and enough oomph to nock down sparrows at that distance? I don't want to spend much money and I prefer a gun that is repairable. I assume a 22 is better than a 177 for the job. What say ye, the men of the wind pipes!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Flying Dragon Airguns Xisico 25 in 22 caliber.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Buddy

I've done it with a Sheridan from the 1980s. If the Benjamin is from the same time frame, I bet it will work well.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

The old Benjamin has served me well since 12or 13. Its .22 has more oumh than my newer .177. Dad has the bent in .5mm if I recall correctly it is fast and accurate but lacks the smack. Biggest thing the .22 has put down are coons wood chucks and oppsumes all close an head shot. Sparrows should make a nice feather shower.

Boolit Master
    Daystate Wolverine in .303 caliber.

Vendor Sponsor

Mike Melick tuned .22 caliber XS46U from Flying Dragon Air Rifles. $225 The basic gun untuned is $125.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Daystate Wolverine in .303 caliber.
    Sorry, I thought you wanted to remove the birdhouse as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Sorry, I thought you wanted to remove the birdhouse as well.
    I sure thought that would be alot of caliber for a bird!!
    Those flying dragon guns seem very interesting, getting a personal touch would be very nice!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Sheridan, hands down

A sparrow trap would be quietest.

For not a lot of shooting, you can get a Crossman 1322 (.22 caliber) for right around 55$. A bit more would set you up with a kit with shooting glasses, ammo pouch, and the carbine stock. (Love the shoulder stock on mine)

I've only been shooting indoors with it, but I can put 5 rounds into a penny at 20 feet and give you change.

Or, if you don't mind spending a bit more, find yourself a good sheridan blue or silver streak.
    Those are 5mm I've had mine since 77, put thousands of rounds through it, have killed thousands of starlings, sparrows and grackle's at 50 yards or more.

They will with 3 pumps drop a bird consistantly, without traveling for a mile if you miss.
    With a couple more pumps you can 1 shot kill a cottontail out to 60 yards easy enough.
    If your a good shot you can put it right between his eyeballs.

I recently bought a second one for 130$ plus shipping and considered myself the luckiest of men.

If you really must go spartan, look for a chinese b3 spring gun for about 40$

Boolit Buddy
    I used to do it with my Benjamin 397 all the time. They will learn quickly where you are, and it will get difficult to sneak up on them.

Boolit Man
    i will second the 46 from flying dragon, i tuned one for a buddy of mine in .22 caliber. he HEADSHOOTS starlings with his at 60yds

Boolit Master
    is the Flying Dragon tuning easy to do or would you get them to do it? I would love the sheridan but I want a 22 and I don't see those in that caliber.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I think you can still get a benjamin 392 which is essentially a sheridan in .22 caliber.

http://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-392-A.../dp/B002J1OZ8G

143$ plus shipping and a tin or 2 of pellets. Still pretty reasonable actually.

I have owned Sheridan rockers and thumb safteys.while I thought they were nice ,they aren't the cats meow these days.for their era they were amazing but now there are much better choices.nostalgia clouds our perception sometimes.their accuracy claims are exaggerated.

Besides 5 pumps gets you barely 600 fps and under 7 fpe at that distance.and from 50 to
    60 each yard the pellet drops an additional 1/2" so you had better have a rangefinder to hit that bunny between the eyes.

Boolit Man
    it is a simple procedure , but requires the knowledge to do it. mike will tune up any gun you buy from him for a fair price
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    is the Flying Dragon tuning easy to do or would you get them to do it? I would love the sheridan but I want a 22 and I don't see those in that caliber.

Vendor Sponsor

Unless you already know the tricks, get Mike to do it. The results are phenomenal over a stock untouched Chinese mass produced rifle. The rifle you get from him will be tweaked one end to the other, it will be smooth cocking and shooting, with a good predictable trigger, and with a couple hundred break in shots, you will have a tack driver.

Headshots on starlings @60yds isn't easy to do with ANY firearm, take your choice of caliber/brass/powder/boolit/primer/scope/barrel length and try it, see how many you score on out of 100. To do this with an airgun really says something about the gun itself. $100 for Mike's full tune is a bargain!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

My gamo big cat on .177 has worked well for me. I have dropped many rabbits at 40 yards plus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast