Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of toaster oven?

What kind of toaster oven?

Does it have to have a fan inside or not ?
    James 1:19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

Boolit Bub
    I'm just using a $25 cheapy from Walmart. It just do a lot at one time
    Dan

Boolit Master

While that would certainly be nice, no, it is not needed.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Listed in the many posts on here is the exact same question.......it is the luck of the draw.

Since all those ovens are cheeeeeep Chino-brand made, the controls are horrible. One brand can vary all over the map from one unit to the next.

I have thrown 2 perfectly good (for baking FOOD) standard ovens in the garbage because they melted boolits on one side and did not cure on the other side. And temp control was +- 100F!

I bought a $100+ convection (fan) oven and have had perfect bakes ever since. Did not look back!!!!!! At all. Temp control is now within 15 degrees of dial setting....... constantly.

The trick is the constantly moving air in the oven cavity!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some on here are lucky to have a standard oven that heats fairly even.....some do not. You pays your money and you takes your chances! It does not take long to easily rack up the money you would spend on a GOOD oven, buying and messing around with junk ovens on the cheeeeeep.

If you want to eliminate one of the several variables to getting perfect boolits, get a convection oven right up front. I did and am very happy.

But do what your wallet will allow. Just keep your cheep oven in mind when your boolits do not turn out as good as you wish.

banger

Go to the local thrift store and you might find a nice one cheap!

Boolit Master

Time is money, People have wasted WAY TOO MUCH TIME AND PRODUCTS

trying to DO ON THE CHEAP.

I went out and bought the BREVILLE BOV800XL "Smart Convection Oven"

from Bed/Bath/Beyond, I paid MSLP of $250 and was happy with my Coating/Baking results.

I have seen online coupons for BBB for $50 off since, I'm not a couponer so I don't look for em'.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a $15 welbilt convection oven from the thrift store and it works great, I did drill a hole in the side to slide a temp probe into so I can keep an eye on the temp

Well, if you have the cash to burn, go with the best convection you can find. Otherwise, any cheap one will work. My wife found me a toastmaster for half price at $15 bucks. Done about 500-600 or so and not melted a boolit. Can easily get a hundred on my aluminum plate I substituted for the original tray. Your mileage may vary

Boolit Master

I do the HI-TEK COATINGS not the HF type POWDER COATING.

Boolit Buddy
    after reading this thread it sounds like i got lucky! i got a used black and decker oven for $10 and so far it's worked fine. i haven't measured for how close it gets to the set temp, but they all look evenly coated/cured. i shot 50 rounds going 1800fps without leading in my 357mag (105gr lee bullet)

Any. I'd do some testing on it first. Use your lead thermometer in the oven and take some readings with it. Set the toaster's thermostat to 200F, and see what the thermometer says. Repeat for 250, 300, 350, 400.

Oh, a lot of folks like to make the process out to be more complicated than it is. I have mine set to 275F and set the timer to 10 minutes. As long as you see the powder turn glossy/wet, you're good to go. It will cool down and be hard as heck.

Boolit Master
    In my next house i will buy a full size convection oven range for the garage. No messing around with small ovens anymore. 3 full racks at a time. Yuk yuk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger762 View Post
    Any. I'd do some testing on it first. Use your lead thermometer in the oven and take some readings with it. Set the toaster's thermostat to 200F, and see what the thermometer says. Repeat for 250, 300, 350, 400.

Oh, a lot of folks like to make the process out to be more complicated than it is. I have mine set to 275F and set the timer to 10 minutes. As long as you see the powder turn glossy/wet, you're good to go. It will cool down and be hard as heck.
    Unless your oven is a mile off, 275 is far below the industry standard temp and the engineered properties of most commercial powders out there. All I have seen are 400F for 10 min. That 10 min time period should start when the powder turns shiny, telling you the boolits NOT the inside of the oven are heating up nicely. Turning shiny does not mean it is the optimal temp standard powders are supposed to be processed at.

Are you saying your oven, when set at 275, is actually at 400????????????????

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    yup, weird post.

No. 400 is way hotter than it needs to be. I've ESPC plenty of different colors and calibers to know what works and what is just regurgitated Internet bull$$$$. What I recommend all newcomers do is just experiment with it to find what works best. An inside oven temperature of 400F might leave some of the bullets partially melted at their bases where the temp is much hotter than the air temp. Just things I found out on my own before I discarded the Internet bull$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

Are you saying your oven, when set at 275, is actually at 400????????????????

bangerjim

Boolit Bub

Buy a thermometer. Then you won't need to swear at the dial calibrations!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    Time is money, People have wasted WAY TOO MUCH TIME AND PRODUCTS

trying to DO ON THE CHEAP.

I went out and bought the BREVILLE BOV800XL "Smart Convection Oven"

from Bed/Bath/Beyond, I paid MSLP of $250 and was happy with my Coating/Baking results.

I have seen online coupons for BBB for $50 off since, I'm not a couponer so I don't look for em'.
    I did the time is money from 1956 till 2002. Retired at age 58, time is no longer money, time is enjoyment.

Think I'll give an inexpensive one a try.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Get the Breville XL, $200 with a coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

$200 bucks?

For that I'll stick with plated bullets or make do with a $40 buck B&D.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Love Life
    Wally World special. $30 some odd bucks and a 4 year warranty. Has baked a ridiculous amount of boolits.