Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: "big fifty" mold

"big fifty" mold

anybody interested in a heavy bullet for their big fifty.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    What is your definition of Big 50? Mine is BMG. I have a NOE 512- 500 gr. fN NOe has a listing for there 850 gr also.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I have a "50", but it only uses 502. 502-440 is as big as I have seen in a mold for that size. A round nose "50" would be nice. You already are at a half inch hole so expansion is not really a concern.

i was thinking 513 diameter for my 50-90 sharps. something about 700 grain wfn

Boolit Grand Master
    Contact Al at NOE. It would cost more, but he might be able to make you a mould , using the 850gr BMG boolit, and not running the reamer in so deep, so as to get rid of the gas check area and part of the lower driving band. It comes out at around 725 gr. and shoots lights out in my 50 AK. He made mine when he did a run of the full length moulds, so making one mould might be cost prohibitive though.

Made in U.S.A.
    Will be running the 850Gr. BMG - could work in some of the lighter PB then

Bullet maker, maker
    Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

I've asked before and got little response but, I would like a 700 grain, .502 diameter, plain base like John Ross had for his gun, please?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Guys, I don't think you need an ingot mold this expensive. Just get some old muffin pans. They work good, I promise. They are easier to stack, too.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Buddy
    I could use a 50 cal mold.

Boolit Mold
    I got some 700s for my 500 from Matt (happy7) and enjoy shooting them. I hope to find a mold myself as I start casting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    Will be running the 850Gr. BMG - could work in some of the lighter PB then

Bullet maker, maker
    Swede Nelson

Hi Swede,

I sent you an email via website, but here works too. When are you doing your next run? I'd be happy with whatever you got, but if beggars CAN be choosers, a 2-cav with one "std" and one "725 grain PB style" (whatever the weight actually comes out to be, I'm really not picky here) would be just amazing to own. I'm in tomorrow if you say tomorrow. Actually, I'm in right now if you say now. Even if you say you wont be doing any short-depth cavities, only full 850's, I'm still in for a 1 cav immediately. Or 3-cav. Or 2 cav with one PB'd, one GC's. You know, whatever. I need this mold!

Turns out 1" nose-to-crimp is exactly the mag box length for a 500 A-square/500 wells express/50 peacekeeper in a CZ550, and a not unreasonable weight to drive to just under 2000 fps in a rifle with no muzzle brake.

(a sample someone sent me, now I need this mold for myself!)
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 07-11-2014 at 07:17 AM.

can you post a diagram of what the 725 grain bullet would look like? I might be interested.

never mind. I see it on their website.

Boolit Master

anyone with thread subscribed, know that NOE had a mold exactly what I needed already in stock. a 3 cav, 2 GC 1 PB. Can't ask for better than that. Have a bunch of both cast up and reayd to load, though I've only so far loaded the GC. Shoots great so far in the wells, I can shoot exactly 2 off the bench before my shoulder fatigues, and exactly 1 offhand before my nerves fatigue. I know the load is good to go because of how repeatable the performance is range-trip to range-trip (just need to get comfy enough to shoot 4 more on the same day after that first shot with the same performance!)

Way cool bullet. I couldn't ask for better for a CZ. If you own a magnum length action 50, buy this mold for sure. As-is at 850.

I bet it would size to 500 cal too easily. If I had a 500 S&W BFR I'd already be shooting it PB for sure with 4198. No doubt about it.

I want a large 50cal mould, but I want a very heavy (800+gr) tumble-lube, plain base or boat tail, hollow point for use in a .510 WSM for subsonic use in a 15 twist barrel. I paper patch the 500gr RNs for 1850+ fps.

If tumble lube is inappropriate for acccelerating such a heavy slug to 1100fps over 18" of bore then let me know. I'm a rookie cast bullet loader.

Boolit Master

well, you can get this mold and have the cavities PB'ed, then one or two (or all) HP'ed. I have tumble lubed traditional lube groove boolits without issue. the LEE 300 45 cal works particularly well for this. I have no reason to believe you couldn't do this with the NOE. Al can PB the cavities for you, I think.

For personal curiosity, can you detail the process for taking 300 WSM brass (I assume you start with 300) and convert to 50 wsm? Thanks

To keep the mass up I'd like either a boat tail or a rebated boat tail to keep from having to thin the case web with the projectile stuffed deep in the case. Also I would want the TL grooves to add to the girth of the bullet. With the speed of sound as the fps limit given ample case capacity I want as heavy as I can stabilize and still single-feed through a short action. More mass with the same profile gives greater BC.

With a plain base I'm afraid the shank of the NOE 850 BMG will be too long to fit the available case "neck" and throat of my pig gun.

WSMs are pretty easy to form from a variety of brass. Take 404 Jeffery, RUM, 26 Nosler or 7mmWSM brass chop it off where ever, shove it onto a 50cal mandrel to remove any remaining shoulder then trim to your desired length and resize to hold a projectile, deburr, done. One can cut it shorter or leave it real long for more or less capacity. Or I think you can buy ready made brass from B&M rifles, affiliated with SSK, but the 50B&MSS uses .500" projectiles instead of .51".
    Last edited by McFred; 12-29-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    To keep the mass up I'd like either a boat tail or a rebated boat tail to keep from having to thin the case web with the projectile stuffed deep in the case. Also I would want the TL grooves to add to the girth of the bullet. With the speed of sound as the fps limit given ample case capacity I want as heavy as I can stabilize and still single-feed through a short action. More mass with the same profile gives greater BC.
    I hear you, but why would you want a hollowpoint and boat tail if you want maximum stability? Wouldn't you want specifically a weight-forward projectile (without compromizing drag too much) combined with a design that is easier to mfg a uniform base?

I can't comment on the need to thin the case, I don't see a way around that wiht the design as-is, but the design (as-is,) PB'ed has a ridiculous amount of bearing surface. Really. No worries about "girth" with that for sure!

"Maximum stability" is not a requirement per se, it only needs to be stable enough e.g. 1.4+ stability factor. I want the option of a small hollow point to be able to initiate some expansion in meat, I don't need 3x diameter though. After all, it'll make .510" holes to begin with.

I should be able to stabilise an 850gr projectile up to 2.25" long at -20˚C in Death Valley down to 800fps or less. Increasing mass for a given length will only make it more stable as will going up in elevation.

I just want as heavy a projectile as I can get through a SA bolt gun, suppressed, so I can go bowling for feral pig.

OO! This might do me fine; 890gr!
    It isn't cheap though.
    It looks like their 975gr mould fitted with HP pins.

www.castbulletengineering.com

Reference:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...G-hollow-point