Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pawn Shop Rescue - 760 Remington

Boolit Master

Thought I would attach a pic of it's cousin I rescued from the same shop about six months ago. A Rem 742 in 280 Rem. It was funny when I was haggling with the clerk he told me the negative was it was a 280 Rem...I told him yeah I agree but I'll take a chance and see if I can't find some ammunition for it . This rifle was very far gone and took a bit of work. Extractor rivet was broke for one, forearm wood was in half and far far gone. Butt stock wasn't much better off so I decided to just put a synthetic stock on and use as a hunting rifle. Of course it doesn't hold the value with the stock replacement but nonetheless it will still serve as a fine hunting rifle and with reduced loads should last my lifetime. There was very little 'chatter' from bolt return on this one and I load it on the weak side as well to prolong life. This gun is surprisingly accurate and impresses me. I average slightly under one inch groups at 100 yards with this thing. I don't know why I guess I just got lucky but it is a shooter. I like to think it is the 280 Rem Caliber..haha. I know I digress, but it's a first cousin to the above rifle...

的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    I have one in 30'06, and it is a fine shooter, I use the Lee 200gr RNFPGC bullet and with open sights it shoots into less than an inch at 50. Mine was a gift from my Granddad, it will not leave my possession.

Boolit Master
    come on fellas admit it , these guns are very accurate for what they are. I highly respect the 760's but they are too noisy for where I hunt most of the time but if a follow up shot or two is needed they really are fast!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    if a follow up shot or two is needed they really are fast!
    I must say that i can work the 760 action and remain looking through the scope the entire time. That straight back pull makes this possible. I hunt with righty bolt actions (lefty here) but of course cant do that and it is even difficult to maintain on target while cycling with my lever guns.

As far as accurracy my 280 impresses me but the jury is out on the 760...will update when i shoot it more. Suppose to be nice out tomorrow here.
    的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    I've found an older model 760 270 at a local PS, it just came out and I'm hoping to pick it up if the price is right, it's in decent shape, so I hope they price it cheap!

Boolit Master

How did you make out Izzy?

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    I've found an older model 760 270 at a local PS, it just came out and I'm hoping to pick it up if the price is right, it's in decent shape, so I hope they price it cheap!
    As for mine i am getting good groups at 100 yds. with Hornady 3031's - my go to bullet for Whitetails in a variety of 30 cal rifles. Averaging around 1.25 inch three shot groups at 100 with 41 imr4064. Today's group was 0.864 ctc, but not consistent enough to satisfy at this time. As for cast im using Lee C-309-180-R sized to .310 and getting a bit less than 2" inch groups fairly consistently at 100 with 21 rx7. With gas checks and lubed they weigh in at 171 which seemed light to me for this mold. Tried increasing powder load but for every grain it seemed group opened up an inch with occasioanal fliers. Using coww, al gas checks, and lyman orange until it empties out of the lubrasizer (carnuba red on standby). No leading thus far. Changing seating depth didnt seem to help much, but still early in the development to make a call. Might order the c-312-155-2r which will allow for shallow seating soon though i dont think it will make a good hunting round.

Regardless, i am having a great time and everytime i shoot this gem i get more attached.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 05-30-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I went back and put it on lay a way, the forearm is different than you'rs this one has 5 diamonds on it not the ribs. It's a decent rifle, didn't figure I'd go wrong at $350. It even has a weaver k4, and tip over mounts to boot!

Boolit Master

I traded for an old worn 760 in 270 a few years ago. It shot 1 1/2" groups with almost anything. I kept working with it and finally found a super load with a case full (60grns?) of old surplus H4831 and a 130 Sierra BT. 3/4" all day long. The problem with the whole deal was it kicked all out of proportion to the caliber. I finally traded it for something else. It was a learning experience as to how good a pump will shoot if the owner is willing to work on loads. My brother's 760 in 30-06 is now a tack driver too. I even worked up a lead boolit load with 311359's and 12 grns of 2400. It shoots less than an inch at 50 yards. Squirrel medicine. It has taken a coyote or two over the years too.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master
    Watching this !, I also have an early 50s 760 in 300Savage. Mine is not tapped so I am using the facory irons. I want to get a cast load worked up so I can play with it more. Really are fine rifles, especially for us pumpgun addicts!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    I went back and put it on lay a way, the forearm is different than you'rs this one has 5 diamonds on it not the ribs. It's a decent rifle, didn't figure I'd go wrong at $350. It even has a weaver k4, and tip over mounts to boot!

Seems they started with the diamond checkering on the ADL grade in 1954. Look forward to you getting it out, seeing some pics, and comparing notes!

Good resource for the 760's -
    http://www.gun-data.com/remington_mod_model760.htm

I had no idea that they made these in .300 Sav. Nice old rifle, and you did a good job fixing her up.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link on the info, I've always wanted one, just never seen one for sale locally. I really wanted a 308, cause that opens up a whole new chapter with cast boolits. I wish they made one in 6.5x55, that would be a dandy! Nothing wrong with the 270, I just don't cast for it, so it is more expensive to shoot, and the recoil can be tamed by down loading it too. I've always felt the 742- 760 style rifle were sleek, and light, but I could never warm up to the 742, cause of the bad rap they have, I know some folk love them, I'm just afraid to get a lemon.

Boolit Buddy
    Super job on that 760 .300 Savage. I have four .300 Savages, a 99EG from 1956, a 722 Remington bolt gun from 1949, a Remington 700 classic from 2003, and a limited run (300 pcs) 7600 from 2006 with absolutely super wood on it. I'm shooting the WWPP 150 grain bullet using Hercules/Alliant Reloder 12 powder in excess of 2700 fps with accuracy that won't be believed. I killed deer with that bullet in the .300 Savage, .308 Win, and 30-06 and of them performed exactly alike, the deer went 3ft, straight down. Reloder 12 has been discontinued since 1997 but I still got 2lbs in Lot 003 and 15 pounds in Lot 012. I experimented with Reloader 15 also and it will do the same velocity/accuracy as Reloder 12, only it took 2 to 3 more grains of RL-15 to get there. There are no flies in the ointment ballistically when it comes to the classic .300 Savage. Enjoy yours!

358 Win

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    Super job on that 760 .300 Savage. I have four .300 Savages, a 99EG from 1956, a 722 Remington bolt gun from 1949, a Remington 700 classic from 2003, and a limited run (300 pcs) 7600 from 2006 with absolutely super wood on it. I'm shooting the WWPP 150 grain bullet using Hercules/Alliant Reloder 12 powder in excess of 2700 fps with accuracy that won't be believed. I killed deer with that bullet in the .300 Savage, .308 Win, and 30-06 and of them performed exactly alike, the deer went 3ft, straight down. Reloder 12 has been discontinued since 1997 but I still got 2lbs in Lot 003 and 15 pounds in Lot 012. I experimented with Reloader 15 also and it will do the same velocity/accuracy as Reloder 12, only it took 2 to 3 more grains of RL-15 to get there. There are no flies in the ointment ballistically when it comes to the classic .300 Savage. Enjoy yours!
    Thanks for the nice comments 358. I haven't shot the pump in a while and think it's time to get her back out and test some loads. I might try the 309-170-F in it and see how she performs as a deer round. I recently picked up a Savage 99 EG as well in 300 Savage and have yet to shoot it...have rounds loaded, just haven't tested. Has one of the Marbles tang sites on it and really looking forward to working up some loads. Had planned to do it this morning as it was nice and cool outside (a rarity this time of year in FL) but the rain has begun to fall. To many projects and to much testing it seems...of course there are much worse problems to have .

I definitely wouldn't feel under gunned hunting any critter in North America with the 300. In my limited amount of Jwords tests I was using 4064 and with cast Rx7.

Boolit Buddy
    Rescued an old "corn cob" foreend 760 this last weekend out of a pawn shop myself. It's a .270, all the wood is good, some bluing has faded but no rust anywhere and the bore is excellent. Someone had drilled and tapped it and added a Weaver rail, no scope on it though.

I'm going to send it off to JES and have them cut it to .35 Whelen. His "price list" says he can do a .270 760 in .35 so I guess we'll see. I only paid $200 for it so even with the Rebore I'm very much under what a factory built 760 Whelen is going for these days...last ones I have seen were in the mid $700 range these days. Never a big fan of the .270 Winchester, Jack O'Connor notwithstanding....

Banned
    To All,

The Model 760 (particularly the "old corncob" sort) is my FAVORITE rifle. = I have 5 of them right now, from .244REM to my JES rebored "treasure" which is in 9.3x62mm Mauser.
    (Now if I could just find a Model 7615 in .223/5.56 NATO w/supplied police magazines, I'd be a happy camper.)

YEP, I have a .300SAV too & $$$$$ won't buy it. = GREAT cartridge with 180 grain GCCB for WT-size game out 150M+.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 11-29-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12