WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Tumble container questions

Boolit Buddy

Dry Tumble container questions

I have been reading some of the threads where it's mentioned that coolwhip bowls work but other containers made from the same material don't provide enough static.
    Seems to me that it would work better than plastic as styrofoam seems more staticy, which is what makes the PC stick
    Has anybody tried a styrofoam bowl or cup as a tumbling container? Pros/Cons?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    CoolWhip works pretty good. I'd wonder about the possibility of a styro cup or bowl breaking on me and making a ginormous mess.
    I actually have to limit how much powder I put in the CoolWhip/ASBB bowl because it will get too thick on the boolits.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Vendor Sponsor

doubt Styrofoam bowl would hold up to the bullets being beaten into the sides and bottom from the 30 sec up & down shaking
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a Styrofoam minnow bucket or icechest. Thicker to take the beating, bigger for more at a time. Throw in the black airsoft bb's and you'd likely have more static than the E&S gun.
    May try that (outside !) Whenever I get pc and bb's.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    ANYTHING made of stryo will not hold the weight!!!!!!!!!!! Useful for beer and pop though.

Unless you want to coat 10 at a time.

Stick with ROUND (not square or rectangular) #5 containers.....preferably with screw-on lids because the shaking and swirling will pop off the snap lid. To get a real good coat you need to shake up and down pretty hard for 30 seconds. Styro would shatter in a hundred pieces.

And you will NOT have more energy than the ESPC gun. It has over 12,000 volts of constant potential, not just a quick static charge. It is a coronal discharge technology, not static like you are seeing in the #5 bowls.

bangerjim
    Last edited by bangerjim; 05-14-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    so do any "cool whip" containers work or does it have to be the "Cool Whip" Brand with #5 on it in the recycle symbol?

Boolit Grand Master
    "coolwhip" is used in the generic way, just like "kleenex" is used to reference boxes of tissues. Everybody knows what it is, generally eats it, and can buy it almost anywhere for pennies. If you use an "amazingwhip" container, and as long as it is polypropylene, it should work the same. Round it the key thing. Do not use square or rectangular containers as those could/may lead to disappointing results. I have had no luck with those shapes.Those on here that complain about this method not working are generally NOT following the simple guidelines.

Coolwhip is very inexpensive. Just buy some. Enjoy some deserts. And get the container for free!

Lately I have found the Ziplok round containers with screw-on lids work the best, as the BBDT method works best by swirling rapidly and then shaking up & down rapidly. The screw-ons will not come off!

banger

Bangerjim - what size are you buying?

and these are them right?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    i've just started powder coating (under 500 bullets total) and have been using yogourt containers that seem to give good enough results. i do 50 bullets at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    "coolwhip" is used in the generic way, just like "kleenex" is used to reference boxes of tissues. Everybody knows what it is, generally eats it, and can buy it almost anywhere for pennies. If you use an "amazingwhip" container, and as long as it is polypropylene, it should work the same. Round it the key thing. Do not use square or rectangular containers as those could/may lead to disappointing results. I have had no luck with those shapes.Those on here that complain about this method not working are generally NOT following the simple guidelines.

Coolwhip is very inexpensive. Just buy some. Enjoy some deserts. And get the container for free!

Lately I have found the Ziplok round containers with screw-on lids work the best, as the BBDT method works best by swirling rapidly and then shaking up & down rapidly. The screw-ons will not come off!

banger
    I know cool whip is a generic term just like any carbonated soft drink is a coke (around here anyways).
    But you have answered my question the bowl my wife brought home for pies, but it is #2 HDPE which I guess won't work

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Bangerjim - what size are you buying?

and these are them right?

Any size you want to use! That is the screw lid style in your picture. Have never tried anything over about 16 - 24 oz. Bigger around is better than deeper.

But..........I have not had any good luck with anything over the size of a coolwhip bowl. I know everybody seems to want to coat hundreds and hundreds (or thousands!) at a time, but you cannot pick up and lay out that many from a HUGE container without messing up a bunch of them.

You are going to have trouble reaching down in deep huge containers. And they will mess up each other.

I do not BBDT over about 60 boolits at a time. Usually do 2 tumbles per oven rack. That gives me almost 99% coverage. No I do not do hundreds or thousands at a time, but who the heck can shoot that many rounds!!!!!!!!!!!! Slow down, coat fewer at a time, and get good coatings.

That is why the coolwhip or the smaller ZipLok containers work perfectly for my needs.

Use at your own risk........your mileage may vary! HA.....ha.

banger

Boolit Master
    I use this.
    Attachment 105501

Got it at Walmart. It has a rough bottom that works really well.

I have best results with air dried bullets that are PC'ed right after they cool.

I've seen videos of people using tumblers.
    James 1:19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

Perma Banned - A.K.A 36Power
    Don't do tumble coating myself, but I personally think styrofoam is a great idea if static is the objective. A styrofoam bowl, placed inside of a similarly sized plastic bowl for support, seems like it would generate much more static than a plastic bowl alone.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've seen people using a crescent wrench for a hammer or a screwdriver for a wood chisel. That still does not make that use the best way or the right way or the logical way. KISS......that is my way.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45Reverse View Post
    Don't do tumble coating myself, but I personally think styrofoam is a great idea if static is the objective. A styrofoam bowl, placed inside of a similarly sized plastic bowl for support, seems like it would generate much more static than a plastic bowl alone.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

Well.....go for it then....and post your results! Everything I have posted I have actually tried before discussing/promoting/dismissing it.

Test it and let us know...........rather than just expressing conjecture. All styrofoam I have ever seen would be pounded to a disintegrated powder with all the swirling and banging that goes on to get a good coat.

Inquiring minds want to know the facts. Try it and post your results.

banger

Perma Banned - A.K.A 36Power
    Oh please...relax bro. I didn't know forums were places I wasn't allowed to post an opinion :eye roll:

FWIW- I don't tumble anything...I use ESPC and/or copper plate all my boolits. Plastic bowl != ESPC....but apparently that's different than using a crescent wrench for a hammer.

LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    I know cool whip is a generic term just like any carbonated soft drink is a coke (around here anyways).
    But you have answered my question the bowl my wife brought home for pies, but it is #2 HDPE which I guess won't work
    i have an orange serbert container that has the #2 instead of #5 and i like it better than the cool whip tubs i have. i tried a couple of the ziploc containers and the bottoms busted out of each one pretty fast. i think theyre too hard or too brittle and they dont give as much as the other tubs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45Reverse View Post
    Oh please...relax bro. I didn't know forums were places I wasn't allowed to post an opinion :eye roll:

FWIW- I don't tumble anything...I use ESPC and/or copper plate all my boolits. Plastic bowl != ESPC....but apparently that's different than using a crescent wrench for a hammer.

LOL

Posting opinions is great. We would really appreciate backing up your ideas with some real method results. When I come up with an idea, I test it and post results, thought, and ideas.

I was just extending to you the invitation and opportunity to do some field testing for us like so many of us powder coaters have done in the past to lead the group to where we are today.

This styro idea has been floating around for a while, yet nobody ever takes the time to test it. I have no interest in using coolers to coat in. Waaaaay to big...I do only 50-60 at a time in my tubs. It would be nice if one of the members that suggesting larger styro coolers would just try it. It would take more than just once try to find out how long those $5 or so pricey containers actually last. We know the smaller #5 screw-on lid containers with black BB's work very well and are pretty solid. Humidity may play a big part in the action. Unless you live in a swamp, the plastic containers seem to be working perfectly for everybody that takes the time to report back.

And that is the ONLY way we get feedback is the comments on results. Lurking does not work for education of the group! Come-on you lurkers out there..........get commenting and testing!

I hope you or someone else out there tries the styro idea and will let us all know of successes and failures. It is always nice to know you have another weapon in the sack if you need it.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    i have an orange serbert container that has the #2 instead of #5 and i like it better than the cool whip tubs i have. i tried a couple of the ziploc containers and the bottoms busted out of each one pretty fast. i think theyre too hard or too brittle and they dont give as much as the other tubs.
    Good to know #2works since that's what the bowl I have is, plus I have a nearly endless supply of 5gal buckets with lids