Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Fun with a Webley Mark IV 38/200 AKA 38 S&W AKA 380 Rimmed

Boolit Grand Master
    S, no expansion whatsoever with the hemispherical nosed NOE. My castings were predominately wheelweights with maybe a little dental foil and slight “potluck” ish metallurgy thrown in. Hardness did not quite approximate that typical of wheelweights but was definitely nowhere near pure lead either.

I am not brave enough to risk the chronograph concurrently with testing in water. I shoot enough to get a representative average and, with the gun and powder oriented the same way shoot for effect.

Given point of impact and recoil effects in exchange for what is obtained, versus my impression that a wadcutter is delivering from the get go, I’m inclined to stick with the wadcutter of 148 grains overall when speaking of non expanding bullets and controllability. To maximize such in an Airweight 700 odd fps seems appropriate or maybe I need to practice more intensively if I want to go much faster.

I will say however that witnessing the instability and behavior of the NOE has been informative and carrying it and the prospect of using it if that is what I had would not leave me feeling unarmed, certainly.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am giving the NOE bullet serious consideration as a speedloader reload due to the shape being more reload friendly. I realize the chance of me ever employing a revolver reload are just about zero, but such thoughts are a way to while away my spare time, I suppose.

The alternative is a 150 odd grain RNFP that tends to shoot to the sights more directly but lacks the tumbling effect. Actually the 358311 with the nose clipped a bit. A fella gets a mould to play with and at some point he has to conceptualize a purpose for it given the observed benefits....and drawbacks. So it is with the NOE design mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I am giving the NOE bullet serious consideration as a speedloader reload due to the shape being more reload friendly. I realize the chance of me ever employing a revolver reload are just about zero, but such thoughts are a way to while away my spare time, I suppose.

The alternative is a 150 odd grain RNFP that tends to shoot to the sights more directly but lacks the tumbling effect. Actually the 358311 with the nose clipped a bit. A fella gets a mould to play with and at some point he has to conceptualize a purpose for it given the observed benefits....and drawbacks. So it is with the NOE design mentioned.
    Most reload friendly of all these is the NOE .364-200-RN (elongated bullet, similar to Mk II profile).

Like you, I doubt I'll be speed-reloading a revolver under such emergency conditions. My thought is that I want to reload while waiting for the police to arrive, however, because the BG's friends & family might arrive before the flashing blue lights do....

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes that comment is most assuredly on point.

For those that don’t carry a reload, I wonder if the idea of holding an empty or mostly empty gun is reassuring when the fight is over....when you’re not really sure it actually is over.

Someone may decide to reengage. You may not be able to get out of Dodge as fast as is necessary either.

Boolit Grand Master
    LOTS of experience with the Lyman #358430 in 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I've seen evidence of tumbling in small game when run 550-600 FPS, but that seems to disappear somewhere between 600-750 FPS. From 800-1200 FPS (357 Magnum) it is not present at all.

If I'm carrying a firearm--and I always do so outside my home--I'm also carrying a speed loader, speed strip, or 2nd magazine. It's a very old habit I have not overcome in almost 16 years of retirement.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 02-21-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    LOTS of experience with the Lyman #358430 in 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I've seen evidence of tumbling in small game when run 550-600 FPS, but that seems to disappear somewhere between 600-750 FPS. From 800-1200 FPS (357 Magnum) it is not present at all.

If I'm carrying a firearm--and I always do so outside my home--I'm also carrying a speed loader, speed strip, or 2nd magazine. It's a very old habit I have not overcome in almost 16 years of retirement.

I now load that bullet in .357mag for my 4 legged friends that inhabit this country. You put me on to it. I should add I carry two speed loaders always.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    As FYI because people have asked, the Accurate 240-grain FN bullet is only marginally stable in an S&W Victory Model 5" barrel in .380-200. Obvious yaw is seen in the target strikes. Due to its heavier bullet weight it impacts way high relative to the sights. Magtech 158-grain LRN cup base shoot a bit low but accurate and acceptably close enough to point of aim. The Accurate 36-176P ogival wadcutter or 36-190T are satisfactory solutions to load for Brit .380-200 Victory S&Ws to give correct point of impact and to approximate service velocity, with 2.5 grains of Bullseye. The targets below tell the story:

Attachment 278227 Attachment 278226[Attachment 278229ATTACH=CONFIG]278228[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-21-2021 at 11:35 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    As FYI because people have asked, the Accurate 240-grain FN bullet is only marginally stable in an S&W Victory Model 5" barrel in .380-200. Obvious yaw is seen in the target strikes. Due to its heavier bullet weight it impacts way high relative to the sights. Magtech 158-grain LRN cup base shoot a bit low but accurate and acceptably close enough to point of aim. The Accurate 36-176P ogival wadcutter or 36-190T are satisfactory solutions to load for Brit .380-200 Victory S&Ws to give correct point of impact and to approximate service velocity, with 2.5 grains of Bullseye. The targets below tell the story:

Attachment 278227 Attachment 278226[Attachment 278229ATTACH=CONFIG]278228[/ATTACH]
    Some thoughts on that 240 grainer:

First, for rabbits I suppose the POA vs POI difference might be a problem. But for skunks -- not so much. I'm guessing the standard deviation of impact on that 240 grain target might be something between 1" and 2". So, with a center of mass hold and the gun shooting where it looks, you might after 1000 shots get something between the "targets" below. In either case, there's plenty of room to move the POI higher by 6-8" with no decrease in "vital hits" on the 2" wide white stripe. With the higher POI, a rabbit might get away, but the skunk is still hurting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sd_1_2.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	278272

Another thought has to do with "potential" wound mass of that bullet:

In Quantitative Ammunition Selection, The_Schwartz calculates "Permanent Wound Mass" for the entire predicted penetration path of the (non-tumbling) bullet. I think of this as a maximum "potential" wound mass. In Bullet Penetration, MacPherson does essentially the same calculation but ignores the last 3" of penetration as well any penetration over 15" to get what he calls "effective permanent wound cavity mass."

For self-defense handgun ammunition that falls within the FBI 12"-18" penetration limits, there's little practical difference between the two calculations. But for something "weird" like Outpost75's 240 grainer in a .38 S&W, the difference is worth thinking about. Even at just 600 ft/s, without "tumbling" that bullet should penetrate about 36" of gelatin. By The_Schwartz calculation, the wound mass would be about 40 grams. By the MacPherson calculation, only about 17 grams.

So which is right? Well, for a charging grizzly bear big enough to absorb the full 36" of penetration, the 40 grams makes more sense. For skinny skunks, the 17 grams is probably closer to the truth.

But, interestingly, The_Schwartz's calculation shows that full penetration permanent wound mass doesn't really have anything to do with bullet diameter: So long as the nose shapes are similar and the bullets don't tumble, a 240 grain bullet at 600 ft/s will have the same "potential" permanent wound mass whether it's fired from a .38 S&W or from a .45 Colt.

So, now, the obvious question is this: "What happens to the 40 grams of "potential" permanent wound mass in that 240 grain bullet at 600 ft/s if the bullet is yawing before it hits the target, flips 180 degrees shortly after entering the target, and comes to rest, base forward, after penetrating, let's say, 15"?

Maybe somebody can chime in on just how permanent wound mass can be measured in 10% ordnance gelatin (as opposed to calculated in thin air). But my guess (and it's only a guess) is that a 240 grain .35 caliber bullet at 600 ft/s that "tumbles" to a stop inside of 18" will produce about as much wound mass as a good 9mm JHP.
    Last edited by pettypace; 02-22-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Boolit Master

I suppose it's worth asking the question whether we'll get more wound mass via tumbling versus a good old LFN/WFN?

The whole deliberately tumbling bullet concept is, after all, a military "letter-of-the-law/screw-the-spirit" way of thumbing the nose at the Hague Convention, when the .455 MKIII and MKIV were what they initially had in mind.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

[QUOTE=Bigslug;5126047]I suppose it's worth asking the question whether we'll get more wound mass via tumbling versus a good old LFN/WFN?

The whole deliberately tumbling bullet concept is, after all, a military "letter-of-the-law/screw-the-spirit" way of thumbing the nose at the Hague Convention, when the .455 MKIII and MKIV were what they initially had in mind

You surely aren't suggesting we would ah er ah cheat the Hague Convention. I think it was a delberate attempt to do exactly that. The round on it's own is pretty anemic; unless you top it off with a bullet that prefers to fly sideways.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    New double-crimp-groove design from Accurate 36-185H optimized for the WW2 S&W Victory Models.

Use the rear crimp groove for .38 S&W and front crimp groove for .38 Special.

The ½ caliber meplat gives better terminal effect on small and medium game than a true round nose, but the nose shape is speed-loader friendly.

Bullet is heavy enough to shoot to the fixed sights on WW2 S&W Victory Models, and is tube-magazine safe for use in the Cowboy rifles.

Can be ordered with a plain base, for those who object to the bevel, which reduces weight to about 178 grains, similar to the Mk2 service bullet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36-185H-D.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	292444

Tom says alternately he can make the base band full diameter for its entire length, ignoring the bevel, which increases weight very slightly. For those wanting a lighter bullet or larger meplat, refer to the notations in upper right corner for examples of meplat diameters provided by shortening the bullet OAL from the nose by various amounts. You aren't limited to those specific lengths or meplat diameters, they are examples. You can order by weight and let meplat diameter go where it does. I like to refer to Accurate as the Burger King of Mold Makers.

You can order it "Your Way!"
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-02-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks, Outpost75, this is a good-looking, flexible bullet!

Boolit Master

Looks good to me.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a GREAT bullet design for any of the 38/357 calibers, sized to fit your revolver's throats.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415