RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: VS - Hi quality Powder for DT or Spraying bullets

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by NHPaul View Post
    Powder coat colors dont always mix up just as you would expect to make different shades. some mixes and some makes speckleing, Looks fantastic either way IMHO
    I have been doing this for about a year now and I would give you a bit of advise. DON'T use a disposable container, use a real heavy duty Tupperware or Rubbermaid, a cheapo will eventually spit open, ask me how I know that. get two containers for each color or blend. forget the beebees. shake them up in one container with plenty of powder and use a handled strainer to strain the bullets out while you pour the powder into the other container and dump them on a screen to bake. repeat as needed. Don't bother standing them up to bake. Don't chew your fingernails.
    I know it is not like mixing liquid paint pigments, but it gives a good variation of colors with only 3 primary colors!

Good enough for government work. This is not a beauty contest......they just end up going splat down range anyway.

banger

how many boolits will a 1/4 lb do approx. ????

If you get a copper/FMJ bullet color I'm in for a couple lbs and I haven't even PC'd before. That's what will make me jump in.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mizzouri1 View Post
    how many boolits will a 1/4 lb do approx. ????
    I do ES Spraying which has some waste to it and getting at least 4000 bullets to a LB ..
    would think you would get more than that doing the dry tumble method .. so at least a 1000 to a 1/4 lb
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ACrowe25 View Post
    If you get a copper/FMJ bullet color I'm in for a couple lbs and I haven't even PC'd before. That's what will make me jump in.
    I will pick up 3 Lbs of Copper color in the morning

Moderator Emeritus

I am going to work on an electrostatic screen to catch powder over spray for reuse, just have to line your spray area and use a fan system to pull excess powder across the collector sheet(aluminum foil on the back with air puled thru a series of small holes along the top, shut down powder falls to the bottom onto a clean sheet to be reused).

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I am going to work on an electrostatic screen to catch powder over spray for reuse, just have to line your spray area and use a fan system to pull excess powder across the collector sheet(aluminum foil on the back with air puled thru a series of small holes along the top, shut down powder falls to the bottom onto a clean sheet to be reused).

Good idea........but it already exists! ElectroStatic filter for your furnace. I have one in mine. The filter, in various sizes, is charged with a high-tension electric charge and collects dust as the air flows over it. You could mod one to fit in a powder spray booth and pull the air thru it. Shut off the juice, tap it, and "most" of the powder will fall off. All of it will not come off.....of anything....as it sticks to just about everything!

Let us know.

banger

Vendor Sponsor

Acrowe I tryed to get a copper color today but they were out .. Will try again next week.. he said they get shipments at least every 2 weeks ..
    Attachment 104816Attachment 104817Attachment 104818
    Note the black on the bases is from previous ESPC spraying .. used the old Non Stick foil and just placed the DT bullets on that so got some black transfer

Am I the only one that clicks on the attachment and gets the this message "vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify theadministrator"?

Edit: I was able to see the pink and green in your other thread. Thanks!
    Last edited by NewbieDave007; 05-14-2014 at 01:24 AM.

I'll take a pound of green, a pound of pink, and a variety pack of the other colors. PM on the way.

Thanks.
    Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Tag for follow-up

I have a powder coating shop. If you don't mind I would like to put my .02 in. If you don't have a proper powder coating gun then what you are doing will work for you. I have found that some powders come out looking too thin on the product. Powders like pink, some whites, and yellow especially and other light colors need a very heavy coat or they will appear to be translucent. When I spray a yellow I have to do a basecoat of white so it cannot be seen through. I know you are not interested in how it looks as much as one of my customers would be. I'm talking about thickness here. The darker colors will have a thicker finish. What I did was to make a tray with holes big enough to hold a 30 cal bullet standing in the holes on it's nose. It will do about 75 at once. If you are concerned about too much coverage on the projectile, as some will be, go for the lighter colors. Besides, your lady might like to have some pink bullets for her gun and spend more time with you at the range. Happy shooting
    shaper
    Southern Style Powder Coating

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieDave007 View Post
    Am I the only one that clicks on the attachment and gets the this message "vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify theadministrator"?

Edit: I was able to see the pink and green in your other thread. Thanks!
    Not sure why its doing that as I posted the pics same way as usual

Thought they looked pretty good for only the third time doing DT .. Like everything it takes time to get the method down.. This time I used much larger long thin needle nose pliers and got much less issues with pulling powder off when setting bullets on the foil..

In either case thanks for the order

Boolit Buddy
    I have some questions :
    I assume you charge the whole plate?
    Do you leave the excess powder on the plate when you bake?
    Does the powder buildup effect the next batch?

Please (if you would) explain a little more on your plate with holes setup.

Thanks
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    I have a powder coating shop. If you don't mind I would like to put my .02 in. If you don't have a proper powder coating gun then what you are doing will work for you. I have found that some powders come out looking too thin on the product. Powders like pink, some whites, and yellow especially and other light colors need a very heavy coat or they will appear to be translucent. When I spray a yellow I have to do a basecoat of white so it cannot be seen through. I know you are not interested in how it looks as much as one of my customers would be. I'm talking about thickness here. The darker colors will have a thicker finish. What I did was to make a tray with holes big enough to hold a 30 cal bullet standing in the holes on it's nose. It will do about 75 at once. If you are concerned about too much coverage on the projectile, as some will be, go for the lighter colors. Besides, your lady might like to have some pink bullets for her gun and spend more time with you at the range. Happy shooting
    shaper
    Southern Style Powder Coating
    Let's make AMERICA Great again!!!

Here's something else that will make things go faster with a better finish. Take the quantity of bullets you plan to coat and put them in your oven for a wile. Let them get up to 150 deg. pull them out and dump them in your powder before they cool down. Because of the temp. the powder will adhere to the lead without a electrical charge. Shake them around then put them on a platter then put them back in the oven. It would be a better job if you buy a temperature censor from Harbor Freight. You will need to bring the "temp of the bullets" up to 300 deg. Once you have them at that temp, let them sit for 10 minutes at 300 deg. That is the cure temp.
    I'm not trying to hijack the post here, just trying to help.
    shaper
    Southern Style Power Coating

[QUOTE=Roger Ronas;2778651]I have some questions :

I had a 12"x12" x1/8"thick sheet of aluminum. I made horizontal lines each 1", Then I did the same vertical. So I had a plate with a 1" grid. I made 2" high legs on two sides. Then I drilled 1/4 inch holes on every cross on the plate. I took the 30 cal bullets and set them in each hole nose first.. I did a slight turn of the bullet to help it lock into the plate. Then I set it in the oven, brought the temp up, pulled them out and sprayed the bullets, put them back in the oven, pulled them out after the cure time was reached. Yes there will be some build up on the plate but it will help to keep the bullets to stand up on their nose of the next batch. We did find that the barrels of our rifles did seem to be cleaner after shooting a few.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you shaper

Roger

[QUOTE=shaper;2778803]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ronas View Post
    I have some questions :

I had a 12"x12" x1/8"thick sheet of aluminum. I made horizontal lines each 1", Then I did the same vertical. So I had a plate with a 1" grid. I made 2" high legs on two sides. Then I drilled 1/4 inch holes on every cross on the plate. I took the 30 cal bullets and set them in each hole nose first.. I did a slight turn of the bullet to help it lock into the plate. Then I set it in the oven, brought the temp up, pulled them out and sprayed the bullets, put them back in the oven, pulled them out after the cure time was reached. Yes there will be some build up on the plate but it will help to keep the bullets to stand up on their nose of the next batch. We did find that the barrels of our rifles did seem to be cleaner after shooting a few.
    Let's make AMERICA Great again!!!

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks to all those who have purchased powder from me ..
    so many did so my inbox limit was reached .. That has now been fixed and PMs will arrive again

just a heads up This powder is much more fluffy than I figured on.. only 1 Lb will fit in a flat rate box.
    Postage on anything larger than 1 LB has been more than I expected and I have been absorbing it as that is what I posted (several packages I ate 3 to 4 dollars in postage) ..next week will have to go to a more ramped postage scale ..
    So if you want to get in on the ground floor and get samples to test .. Please place your orders now
    Any order payed for through Sunday will go at postage rated stated
    Again many thanks to all who have purchased and I look forward to you posting your results

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks to all those who have purchased powder from me ..
    so many did so my inbox limit was reached .. That has now been fixed and PMs will arrive again

just a heads up This powder is much more fluffy than I figured on.. only 1 Lb will fit in a flat rate box.
    Postage on anything larger than 1 LB has been more than I expected and I have been absorbing it as that is what I posted (several packages I ate 3 to 4 dollars in postage) ..next week will have to go to a more ramped postage scale ..
    So if you want to get in on the ground floor and get samples to test .. Please place your orders now
    Any order payed for through Sunday will go at postage rated stated
    Again many thanks to all who have purchased and I look forward to you posting your results

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast