Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I an ***???

Am I an ***???

So, here's the deal. I volunteered, through a post on this site, to donate some 22lr rounds to a group that could use them. I'm not going to delve into detail...just trust that it's a very good cause, and I feel really good about sharing some of the stash. Here's my rub, with myself ..... In the deep dark scary places of my mind, I'm dealing with 'strangers' I've met on the internet, albeit through this forum, so when I went to meet and deliver the donation, I chose to carry.... Well, I met a wonderful, beautiful young family with their 1yo son sleeping peacefully in the back seat, and of course immediately felt like a moron for even having the thought cross my mind that I should have expected anything other than that. So, now I'm questioning myself.....was it 'right' to go the protective route and carry.....or just paranoid?????
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

In today's world, better safe than sorry. Don't feel bad; I have been in similar situations.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Not at all.I carry all the time, not because I'm paranoid, but how foolish would it be to have need, and have left it home.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

I have run into a similar situation posters all over the truck saying out of gas need help. Well the handle of my concealed weapon was showing and the woman immediately started taking down the signs, after seeming extremely happy to see me. It was only a little while later that I realized this was one of those scams to beat up and rob a good Samaritan on the side of the road. I always carry can never be too careful.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

You're fine. It's not like you had an AR15 on a sling in a combat-ready position! That's what a concealed carry permit is for, carrying. Besides, you had to get to the meeting point, then back home, right?

Ya wanna talk about sheepish feeling - I went to meet a guy at his office to buy my .44 Winchester from him. I was wearing a 1911, but not really because of the transaction. Turned out the seller was an FBI agent, on duty! We conducted the transaction in the local FBI field office. Yes, there was a severe pucker factor. But all was cool, I even told him I was carrying and he seemed tickled, "we need all the good guys we can get!"

Boolit Grand Master

What problem did you carrying create? What could of happened if you weren’t carrying and you should have been? The point of carrying is to deal with the unexpected.

ABA with no regrets.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Buddy

I'd say never take chances. I lost count of how many people got whacked responding to Craig's list ads n such. We had a few my agency had some involvement in so it really hits home one can never be to safe.
    I always carry but, I have carried for so long I'm uncoformtable not carrying. Until recently we werent a carry state so bad guys felt safe in they weren't going to have an armed victim.. I was selling a truck on Craig's List. I kept it while it was for sale at a buddies auto shop parking lot for more visibility. I got a call from someone who wanted it asap and off I was to go meet em. I left in such a hurry I forgot my backup I carried off duty. Long story they were going to roll me and take truck. I went in to get my keys from buddy (I hadn't seen them yet and he said they gave him a bad feeling. Said you got your side arm right? Nope forgot it I was in such a hurry. Here take my cash register gun) so I go out and meet them. Their plan was to test drive pull over and try and roll me by having me outnmbered with a trail vehicle filled with their buddies. Of course I did the, intital just me being over hyper until he realized I had a bulge in my waist band and he got all bug eyed, for in his cell and in spansih was telling someone he's a cop.and armed just leave now. Car a block away peels out with shady characters. His buddy who he wanted all three of us to ride in front is now sweating up a Strom in mid 60's weathe not to mention the sudden onset of nervous tremble. They didn't know I understood Spanish. It went from he had $15,000.00 cash on him and needed a truck asap to he needed to sleep on it. He didn't have any kind of cash on him either. Pockets were empty and no wallet. But he was addiment t I have the title on me he was in such a hurry. Guy that ended up buying that roll of cash was easy to spot. That's the shorter version. One one of my many life flashing before my eye moments was the trying to assit the report of the little eldery grandma type who appeared lost as she attempted to drive a pair of taylor type scissors into side of my of neck. Quick reflexes was all that kept me alive.. But never in a million years would I say a grandma type was going to try and end my life. Most of the others yeah, it was a hell of a lot more obvious. It still drives my wife nuts I have to sit with my back to a wall and where I'm least exposed but have the best view of every one else. Large gatherings etc same way.

Boolit Master

Don't ever get the idea of being paranoid, it is preparedness.
    I have never known anyone to feel paranoid for having a spare tire in their car.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Try to be ready at all times. Watch everyone. I;m like this all the time, from pick pockets to

people that should not trust. I compare it to being in a pasture with a Bull better always have

one eye on him, never know when he may try something.

Boolit Buddy
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

In my great state the PEOPLE are not allowed to carry.. I would be nailed to the cross if caught carrying (GASP!!) a gun!

consider yourself Lucky to live in a FREE STATE

Boolit Master

Prepare for the worst, expect the best.
    No you are not an #@$$)L#3, now it you used it, that would be different.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I am never without the shooting iron.It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    In the laboratory we practice "universal precautions." That means you threat all samples as if they are contagious, knowing that some are and some aren't. One of the effects is that a patient doesn't have to feel like he or she is being singled out as "nasty" or "diseased".

I try to practice universal carrying procedures (except at the hospital of course). That way I can say, if anyone asks, that I always carry. No one can take it personally.

Boolit Master

Trails4u, nothing to feel quilty about. I am always armed. In my little Baptist Church, I and some of the congregation pack during services. Being armed can protect others as well as yourself if the situation arises.

The people you met with, being shooters, would understand fully.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I appreciate everyone's sentiments.....it does make me feel better. I guess I just hate living in a world where a simple act of charity forces us to think, "Do I need to arm myself for this?"
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vendor Sponsor

I always carry even in my own home .. It is second nature ..
    stopped what I fully believe would have been a home invasion once .. Woman came knocking at my door late one evening .. I opened the door to find the woman at the door and 2 males just to the side of my house ..my hand is on gun then lady looks down and asks in kind of a stumbling speech if this is the "jones" residence I say no and they all go back real quick like in the car

so no I say you did just fine.. Be prepared .. If nothing happens you have had a good day ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Think yourself lucky you live in a country that allows you the choice. Nobody can be sure of what to expect in the situation you describe. If you look at it in another perspective it shows you care enough about your family to see you come back to them.

I don't own a handgun, because I haven't been able to get my hands on one being under 21. I always carry a rifle in the truck though, or a shot gun. On this particular day about a week or so ago, I happened to have my handi rifle with a 7.62x39 barrel on it. I always keep the gun jammed between the side of the driver seat and the console.

I had just left Walmart and while I was there, I had pulled some money out of the ATM machine as I was collecting some cash to buy a car the following weekend. I then just had to stop and get gas and was gonna head home. I pulled up to the pump, hopped out, leaving the door open. (I wasn't walking far from the truck, wasn't putting in much gas and was too lazy to close it) I swiped my card, and as I was filling up the truck I noticed this guy (typical loser looking) kinda slowly walking over. I'm from Alaska. Used to people walking up and asking for beer money. All the sudden this guy leans over, peers into my truck, yells "SH*T!!! HE HAS A GUN!!!" And takes off running along with two other guys in the parking lot.

Now tell me. This was just a everyday trip to town for me. I was at the same nice gas station i always go to. And if I hasn't had the gun probably would have been robbed/worse. My guess is the guys followed me from Walmart.

Do you regret carrying a gun to a meeting?

Even if the people you deal with were perfectly nice they are not the only danger.

These are all great anecdotes, and great reminders of all the reasons we should carry, as well as fight endlessly to preserve our rights to do so. Thank you all for your posts. I don't carry everyday, so when I choose to, it's usually because I feel there's some reason. (I know I'm opening a can of worms with that statement, but understand, my job does not allow me to carry! Otherwise, I probably would.)

Just needed a gut check, and you guys have, as always, delivered!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast