MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Master
    Can somebody who has some please check and see if white and yellow work via this method? Apparently black does now, so it's worth testing.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Can somebody who has some please check and see if white and yellow work via this method? Apparently black does now, so it's worth testing.
    Read the thread!

I already tested all colors and hardnesses. If the powder will not stick to the bb's it does not work to help coat the boolits. I saw virtually no improvement using anything but black using the standard coolwhip bowl. And I tested ALL the colors.

Just go out and get some black ones! They do not cost THAT much more.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Great now you guys find a way to get nice coats without a gun after I bought one.
    You will find MANY uses for the gun!!!!!! I coat many things (as long as they fit in the oven!) around the home and shop with a permanent, hard, perfect coating! I am throwing away all the cans of spray paint I have.

banger

Boolit Master
    Just to be clear I was talking about the harbor freight powder colors not the BBs.

I have gotten the HF white to work but using two coatings. Same with yellow. Shopped at HF this afternoon and only 2 red and 3 yellow on the shelf. Some white but it wasn't the same. Looks like S.W.Fla has made a run on powder. Sorry can't remember what it was but it wasn't the same. I use Brummel and Brown containers and Kosy Shack pudding containers also. Going to try the n.n. pliers and the Black BB's too. Can't have too much of a good thing. Will post pictures of the red,white,and blue flag boolits in 45 and 38 that I coated. Want to do 9's also but have to cast more before that happens.

Boolit Buddy
    Harbor freight red electrostatic powder coat.

#5 type plastic bowl.

Stove.

Pliers/joint hold... Er.... Hemostats.

Small black balls. Yeah, I won't go there. Oh. PLASTIC black balls. Okay.

Insert balls, powder, bullets. Swirl and shake till coated. Pick bullets up, place on non stock aluminum foil. Stick in stove. NOT WIFE'S STOVE.

Success?

I really don't want it to be that easy. What do I do with my lubrisizer?
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Del-Ray View Post
    Harbor freight red electrostatic powder coat.

#5 type plastic bowl.

Stove.

Pliers/joint hold... Er.... Hemostats.

Small black balls. Yeah, I won't go there. Oh. PLASTIC black balls. Okay.

Insert balls, powder, bullets. Swirl and shake till coated. Pick bullets up, place on non stock aluminum foil. Stick in stove. NOT WIFE'S STOVE.

Success?

I really don't want it to be that easy. What do I do with my lubrisizer?
    It really is that easy. Maybe you can use your lubersizer to lube other things

Boolit Buddy
    It really is that easy. Maybe you can use your lubersizer to lube other things
    Maybe..... I'll have to ask the wife if I can have it back first...
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Master
    Tried it tonight. Works great! Walfart only had one container of those black balls on the shelf, so I had to take it home. Only problem were the hollow points. It almost works too good, and filled em up so tight I could not get the paint out of a couple. Easy way to do shallow cup H/P's. My H/F spray gun will be collecting dust this is so easy. No need for a gun unless you want absolutely perfect ones for show. Frankly, unless you look close you can't tell the difference. Good enough for all of my shooting. Im not selling them so...

Boolit Master

Nice job guys. Gotta get to walmart tonight!

Guess you most change out the soft bb's if a different color of powder is used to keep the first color form contaminating the new color powder?

Boolit Buddy
    It depends on if you want to buy the bbs, If you can not afford it you can wash the bbs before using with another color of powder, I tried to see if you could clean the bbs and I found if you take them and put in a bowl and rinse with hot water the powder washes right off and then just pour them out and let dry. this takes some time and I just as soon as buy enough bbs for any other colors I would use.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    All my WM had was the dang gallon can of BBs, but it has gotta be a lifetime supply and has plenty for at least 4 different colored tubs going at once. Around $14 bucks for the big jug of black AirSoft BBs.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Guess you most change out the soft bb's if a different color of powder is used to keep the first color form contaminating the new color powder?
    Just put them in a ziplok sandwich bag by color. You do not need THAT many of them to do the coating. I just cover the bottom of the bowl with the bb's. That small bottle of black ones will be enough to do probably 12+ colors!!!!!!!

As said you could wast them off, but what a waste of time to save a few pennies!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

'Speaking of the different tubs.... it sure is going to make doing different colors (during the same bake session) much easier. I can have 2, 3 or 4 different colored CoolWhip tubs going at once, and just pluck out a few boolits from each one, since nothing touches during baking. It'll be like an Easter Egg basket. Besides being interesting, it'll help keep the same weight/profile boolits (but with different powders/loads) separate during testing.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 05-06-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarity

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Just put them in a ziplok sandwich bag by color. You do not need THAT many of them to do the coating. I just cover the bottom of the bowl with the bb's. That small bottle of black ones will be enough to do probably 12+ colors!!!!!!!

As said you could wast them off, but what a waste of time to save a few pennies!

banger
    Whoops. I did about an inch deep. Still probably enough bb's for 5 or 8 tubs.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You will find MANY uses for the gun!!!!!! I coat many things (as long as they fit in the oven!) around the home and shop with a permanent, hard, perfect coating! I am throwing away all the cans of spray paint I have.

banger
    Yep, I coat stuff that's kept outdoors. My porch lights will only go 6-8 months rust free (it rains a but in Oregon), so I'm gonna coat them. Just about any small item that can be cooked can be powder coated (I believe I've seen a powder coat for wood...).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Thanks! My WW only had the gallon can of black BB's , so must wait til the smaller size comes in.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do I smell a "group buy" on .25gm BLACK AIRSOFT BB's.............?

HA...............ha!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Whoops. I did about an inch deep. Still probably enough bb's for 5 or 8 tubs.
    I filled that baby at least that full too!
    I don't know that it needed it, but I got a LOT of them and it didn't seem to hurt.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast