Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I've launched about 120 rounds so far with 5.5 gr. TG. Loobed with my home recipe. Grouping bout 3" at 50yds. No recoil, just a fun load. I plan on bumping up to 6 grs. next. The data is from lever guns and says that should be about 1250 fps which is all I'm looking for. Once this experiment is complete, I'll be going for the 1800-2000fps range with gas checks and 4064 to see if I can come up with something suitable for corn crunchers. I failed to mention above that all this is being shot from a Win. Trapper with a red dot halo sight.

Sounds good but isn't 6 grains of TiteGroup about the limit. Please let us know how the IMR 4064 as I have some of that too that needs to get used up.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Sounds good but isn't 6 grains of TiteGroup about the limit. Please let us know how the IMR 4064 as I have some of that too that needs to get used up.
    Yup. 6.5gr. is the top listed charge at 1383fps. At 6.0 it shows the group opening up to about 6"at 1293fps. I just want to try it and see what happens. Overall, I'm happy with the 5.5gr load. 1200fps range was always my goal. I figure thats about like a heavy .357 load and I was carrying it for yotes, which it would be great for at less than 100yds.
    Link;
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Master

Yup. 6.5gr. is the top listed charge at 1383fps. At 6.0 it shows the group opening up to about 6"at 1293fps. I just want to try it and see what happens. Overall, I'm happy with the 5.5gr load. 1200fps range was always my goal. I figure thats about like a heavy .357 load and I was carrying it for yotes, which it would be great for at less than 100yds.
    Link;
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Thanks for the link ! What are your plans for IMR 4064?
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Thanks for the link ! What are your plans for IMR 4064?
    I would like to see 1800-2000fps range. But thats really down the road a bit for me. I haven't even shot any of the powder coats yet. After I get happy with those, I then have to learn about gas checks. Never touched one.

Boolit Master

I would like to see 1800-2000fps range. But thats really down the road a bit for me. I haven't even shot any of the powder coats yet. After I get happy with those, I then have to learn about gas checks. Never touched one.
    I used gas checks with 45/45/10 and 10, 12 and 15 grains of Unique and they worked fine. Now that I'm PCing my bullets I've only tried 10 grains and no GC and that has worked fine so far. I have only used IMR 4064 with 150 grain Hornady Inter Lock, 45 grains kicks like a mule so ain't no fun like 10 grains of Unique.
    Lead bullets Matter

Boolit Mold
    I like Eastwood...Excellent selection of colors.

I'm back. As promised in post #742 above, I had my range day with the 30-30 powder coats and I'm happy to report it was a great success. Fired 20 rounds of the 5.5 gr. titegroup loads and just like every one before me said, my bore came out shiny clean. Just a couple Hoppes patches to clean out the powder residue and shazzaam! clean bore. I also fired 50 rounds of coated 45 auto through my Combat Commander also loaded with Titegroup and the same was true. Only light powder fouling from the Titegroup. So there you go guys. So easy even a caveman can do it. So now what am I gonna do with this pan of home loob I have made up? I'm thinking I'll try it out on patches in the muzzle loader. I don't want to plug up the powder coat thread with load data info, so I'm headed over to the favorite loads thread to ask advice about light loads using 4064. Shoot often, shoot straight, and be safe. C-ya!

Boolit Master

fastdadio glade you testing came out the way you wanted not that I doubted it would as TiteGroup has been working fine for me.
    Lead bullets Matter

Thumbs up First try at DT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160429_155620.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	167594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160429_161047.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	167597
    Use powder from prismatic powder, and recycle airsoft BBs (.17gr and are green) using a #5 butter tub. 1 coat with only spots from picking up with plies. Need to try so hemostats. Baked at 400 for 10 mins after they start to flow. Did the hammer test.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Good coats.

How in the wide world of sports do you "recycle" ASBB's???????

I can ever find them and I shoot a ton of them in my back yard and other places. I shoot only BLACK ones as they have the best accuracy. Never had any luck hitting my targets with the light weight ones ( green, yellow, white, brown,etc). I get 22LR accuracy with my high powered gas powered ASBB guns with black BB's.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Good coats.

How in the wide world of sports do you "recycle" ASBB's???????

I can ever find them and I shoot a ton of them in my back yard and other places. I shoot only BLACK ones as they have the best accuracy. Never had any luck hitting my targets with the light weight ones ( green, yellow, white, brown,etc). I get 22LR accuracy with my high powered gas powered ASBB guns with black BB's.

banger
    They are made from recycled plastic. I buy a box of 10,000 for $7 at my local Canadian Tire.
    Last edited by fralic76; 05-15-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Everyone knows the government watches out for us they keep us safe and tell us what is right and wrong they even tell us what to think and I believe in climate change which use to be globule warming
    The WHO and CDC have conclusively proven that saliva causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over long periods of time.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    That was my issue after a few batches. At first they dumped clean off the tray no problem, but after awhile the buildup started sticking and trashed my homemade tray.
    I haven't done a lot of PCing, but did try the hardware cloth. When the coating got too thick, I just burned it off with a propane torch and started over again. Might be easier to just throw it in the campfire or ...?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by fralic76 View Post
    They are made from recycled plastic. I buy a box of 10,000 for $7 at my local Canadian Tire.

OK.....the PLASTIC is recycled, not the actual BB's.

In Remembrance

OKAY! Allright already! Youse have talked me into it! It's gonna be all ASBBDT. Sample powders and BBs are on the way from Smoke, the convection toaster oven is on the way from amazon.ca, and I already have dozens of cleaned #5 Parkay marg bowls with lids. I've cleared away a spot for the new equipment in the loading room. I figure on recycling 8" dia. flat-bottom aluminum pie plates (Pam'd?) on top of the oven tray for baking. Mebbeso I'll have something to show by month end.
    Last edited by HABCAN; 06-01-2016 at 03:07 PM.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

In Remembrance

Smoke's sample pack + BBs has just arrived (in one week to Canada, in perfect condition) so from here on out, it's up to me. Thanks, Smoke!
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

Excelsior!!

Name:	First PC 2.JPG 
Views:	982 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	169822First one of many to come. Thank you, Gentlemen, for six years of trial and error that's made it SO easy for me!
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

AND...........

Name:	IM000213.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	170199 the beat goes on! Thank you again, gentlemen gurus!
    Life Member NRA.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    Smoke's sample pack + BBs has just arrived (in one week to Canada, in perfect condition) so from here on out, it's up to me. Thanks, Smoke!
    Just remember to get separate containers for all the colors, I didn't remember that now I'm stuck with one color till I buy more bb's. Smoke's powder was a night and day difference in my area compared to the HF red I was using.

In Remembrance

Thanks, Derek, but I had all that planned long in advance.
    Life Member NRA.

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast