RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Quote Originally Posted by guncheese View Post
    nothin wrong with those Daurteus
    i have found also the HF yellow doesnt cover well even after 2 coats
    so i just quit worrying about it, and just shoot them
    Try first coat with HF red, second coat with HF yellow. Looks spectacular!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Try first coat with HF red, second coat with HF yellow. Looks spectacular!
    As in speckled?

Boolit Mold

Pc tumlbed coated

I just tumble in a rubber maid bowl with a top, and mine come out pretty good, then i place them on an aluminum plate coated with crisco and they fall right off, just use a thin coat and no problem, i only tumble coat them one time, the red speckles on the bullets is done by a paint brush dipped in red and tapped on like tapping the ash off a cigerette, the ones on the left are 100 gr 9mm, in the middle 125 gr 9mmClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01191.jpg 
Views:	1435 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	107680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01167.jpg 
Views:	1434 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	107683 , the ones on the right are 45 rd nose 230 gr, and 240 gr 44 magClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01158.jpg 
Views:	1440 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	107681
    Last edited by hawkins455054; 06-13-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: more information

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It's interesting that the Crisco doesn't wick up into the powder and ruin the coat. In my early testing I had tried spraying a pan with PAM and wiping it almost completely off with paper towels, leaving only a micro-coating of PAM, and it still ruined a batch of boolits.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I was wondering about that A/C oil used for mould lube. The non-echo friendly stuff? It supposedly doesn't wick into the cavities. I just use NS foil cause that's what the wife got me a year ago. Must have 3/4 of the roll left.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    NSAF lasts forever!!!!!! Forget the grease. I, like Beagle, ruined over 200 boolits with grease on the rack wicking up on boolits and ruining the PC. Never ever again!!!!!!

NSAF is not expensive and I have use the same sheet for probably over 1700 boolits! I only get about 4-5 bakes with ESPC because it tents to start "flanging" on the bottoms.

Just break down and spend a few pennies on NSAF. You will never look back!

bangerjim

So, what happens to the PC when you mine the trap and melt down the lead? Is there any residue? Would it just come to the top with the dross, when it is melted?

What is your experience?

I haven't mined PC boolits, but I have thrown PC boolits into the pot because of goof ups during loading, just like I did with TL's boolits. By the time the rest of the lead in the pot is melted, the PC is "up in smoke". No adverse effects from the PC in the melt.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I haven't mined PC boolits, but I have thrown PC boolits into the pot because of goof ups during loading, just like I did with TL's boolits. By the time the rest of the lead in the pot is melted, the PC is "up in smoke". No adverse effects from the PC in the melt.
    That is what I was Hoping to hear, thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    So, what happens to the PC when you mine the trap and melt down the lead? Is there any residue? Would it just come to the top with the dross, when it is melted?

What is your experience?
    It does not melt....but floats on the top. Just skim is as other garbage that floats.

bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    As in speckled?
    Yes. Kind of like the terra cota boolits someone else posted.

Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post

What is your experience?
    I melted some that I cast with too soft of lead and the hollow PC shells float to the top and are easily scooped out.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking about this thread today and I realized something. This PC process is one of the greatest collaberative experiments on the internet that I have ever seen. Not to mention the result will be one of the most profound and useful additions to the home/ hand cast bullet / reloading / shooting, hobby to come along in in a long time. Maybe I see it being bigger than it really is, but it is a huge advance in the hobby.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    I was thinking about this thread today and I realized something. This PC process is one of the greatest collaberative experiments on the internet that I have ever seen. Not to mention the result will be one of the most profound and useful additions to the home/ hand cast bullet / reloading / shooting, hobby to come along in in a long time. Maybe I see it being bigger than it really is, but it is a huge advance in the hobby.
    I agree I haven't started PC'in yet but I'm just amazed at how this has evolved since I started following it. I just need to get an oven to try it out. The only thing I worry about is how much time it will take to stand them up and the baking time. 45/45/10 is just so quick and easy but the smoke is sometimes less than ideal when you compete in action shooting. I go through close to 1000 rounds per month in 9mm so I have to be concerned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwber View Post
    I agree I haven't started PC'in yet but I'm just amazed at how this has evolved since I started following it. I just need to get an oven to try it out. The only thing I worry about is how much time it will take to stand them up and the baking time. 45/45/10 is just so quick and easy but the smoke is sometimes less than ideal when you compete in action shooting. I go through close to 1000 rounds per month in 9mm so I have to be concerned.
    If I have the boolits cast and sized already I can coat, bake and re-resize several hundred in just a few hours.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy
    most of what I have coated have been 44 and up and they are easy to sit up to bake, now I have tried 180gr. 30cal boolits and those did strain my patience at bit, they are tall and have a small base and were very hard to stand up and keep them that way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post

Thank you........thank you very much!

All of us regulars on here have worked very hard "playing" with and refining this process. There are still many nay-sayers out there that will not try it. They love grease.

Now let's move on to the next big innovation! HA.....ha!

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    most of what I have coated have been 44 and up and they are easy to sit up to bake, now I have tried 180gr. 30cal boolits and those did strain my patience at bit, they are tall and have a small base and were very hard to stand up and keep them that way.

Use fender washers and NSAF! Don't try to stand them up and balance to the oven!!! The GC area fits right in the washer and hold them in place. Pick up by the nose and push in, as we do not care if the nose looses a little PC.

Same with 223's.

There are MANY threads on here discussing the MANY ways of coating tall boolits. One way is NOT to stand them up on their own.

Bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I tried dry-tumble with the Crosman black airsoft BBs from Wallyworld,
    wasn't any better than without the BBs, and they get in the way when
    picking the boolits out...
    HOWEVER I had a lot of BBs in there. Will try just covering the bottom of the container.

Still have a casting problem, some boolits come out slightly undersize.
    After PC I run 'em all through the sizer, any that feel "easy" (too small)
    I slap a gas check on and shoot 'em anyway.
    Guess I could re-coat 'em.

Seems a shame to buy 15 bucks worth of BBs for a one-BB layer in the bowl!
    I asked in the airgun forum about sizing 6mm plastic BBs for a 5mm Sheridan,
    also might could use 'em for swaging hollowpoints as a nose filler.
    Slingshot ammo? They have to be good for something else...

Boolit Master
    The next evolution in bullet technology may well come out using this product with a mixture of powder coating. The mad scientist will come out and we may be able to increase velocities and put a .45 cal bullet through a .177" hole.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natura...assion+lube+55

Ebner