Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Harbor Freight black works, but only if using the Piglet wet coating method (mix paint and lacquer thinner, then tumble)

The real way to apply the matte finishes is with the ESPC gun, the way the coatings were engineered to be applied. All other methods are inferior to non-working at all!

If you want black for BBDT, buy shiny black powder on-line or buy an ESPC gun. I love my ESPC gun. Nothing says sexy like Matte Black Ninja Boolits!

I have found ONLY acetone will dissolve the HF black powder and it is a total mess when applied! Laq thinners all vary depending on brand as to how much acetone is in there. Stick with ESPC and/or BBDT.

banger

Please don't make blanket statements like that. I'm trying to inform someone about how his HF black CAN be used and you poo-poo it saying it doesn't work. Well I, and quite a few others have gotten it to work. It works just fine with the lacquer thinner sold by Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart. The only reason I'm not using it now is because DT is much easier.

Boolit Master
    I hate to do this BUT...
    I have been thinking on this and I pulled the trigger so to speak.
    I have thought about using a vibratory tumbler to apply the powder. Harbor freight was having a sidewalk sale and I saw that the small tumbler they sell was on sale. I happened to have a 25% coupon so I picked one up. I spent $45. out the door.
    I tried my new Umbra gray with just boolits. first batch was not any better than the bowl method.
    I still had plenty of the airsoft BB's so I dumped some in.
    The second batch looked like they had been electro sprayed! Almost perfect
    After baking they look even better.
    So here is one more step to try
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Please don't make blanket statements like that. I'm trying to inform someone about how his HF black CAN be used and you poo-poo it saying it doesn't work. Well I, and quite a few others have gotten it to work. It works just fine with the lacquer thinner sold by Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart. The only reason I'm not using it now is because DT is much easier.

Well excuuuuuuuuse me.

banger

Boolit Master
    Go to my youtube channel under "ebnerglocken" and you'll see examples of different colors and mixtures of them on bullets. So far the only method that I have put on my channel have been BBDT with steel bbs and a vibrator, which is discussed in one of the videos. BTW I published another today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hJuDaTXQk

Ebner

Boolit Master
    I noticed wile running my last batch of 9mm that the tumbling with plastic bb's that the powder looks like its boiling. I know there is an industrial process where a large container is used and they add a bit of positive pressure to the bottom. The result looks like the powder is boiling and parts are then dipped.
    Once again I need to follow my own advice..... "Less IS More"
    I tried adding more of the plastic BB's, thinking that would work better. WRONG
    More BB's cause the Boolits to stay on top and thus not get coated. It also makes it harder to get 95 Gr. 9mm separated out.
    For the small HF Vib Tumbler I would say 1 level cup(or less) should be more than adequate, and seemed to work well with about 100/ 175 gr .40 cal
    It appears that about 2~3 minutes works well enough to coat that same # of Boolits. I loaded all of that first batch and will be doing live fire testing soon.
    Last edited by Blanco; 06-09-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    You are referencing "fluidized bed" coating. Many things are done that way industrially. Even plans for little tiny pots do to fishin' stuff are posted on line.

I have found if I use just enough black BB's to completely cover the bottom of the #5 container, I get the best coatings. I have run into the problem of "digging around" in a very deep layer of BB's and the powder being knocked off by the digging around process!

Whatever works for you! I know what works for me.....everytime.

banger

Boolit Master
    I knew you would know what I was getting at Jim
    I had real good luck with the bowl tumble method too but I was limited to about 15~20 at a time. With the tumbler I am doing 100+ at a time and the dry coat is much more uniform
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    Whatever it takes. I usually do 45-55 45s in a coolwhip bowl with excellent coverage.

Banger

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Blanco: I did try a 32ca. pistol bullet. Cant get the Lee seater die down far enough to get a good neck grip. but I will get them in there some how, still thinking. Bought the Lee TL314-90-SWC with mouse load in mind. Low noise camp meat, spruce grouse getter. Ill let ya in on what I find later. GP

Blanco: Didn't answer your question, sorry. 3 1/2 to 4 MOA nothing to crow about but just a first try. Will try this some more to see what I can get it to do. Id be happy with 2 1/2 to 3 in this worn old gun. GP

Boolit Master

Don't give up on it. I had a .38 special load that was terrible and yet the same bullet in a .357 magnum seems to be more accurate than I can shoot it. It just takes a little more trial and error than you are used to having to do.

Boolit Buddy
    got some new colors in today
    got right to the shake and bake !

Boolit Buddy

Those look really nice, guncheese.

Boolit Mold
    Can for the life in me have it as nice as you guys are doing haha

Only on coat of HF red and some yellow.

Boolit Mold

Boolit Buddy
    nothin wrong with those Daurteus
    i have found also the HF yellow doesnt cover well even after 2 coats
    so i just quit worrying about it, and just shoot them

Boolit Master
    If anyone is looking for some wild colors including metallics have a look at http://www.prismaticpowders.com/
    They have a 10% off their RAL colors right now.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy
    hey those guys are fairly cheap
    but no 1/2lb and their shipping is sorta high if you bought 4 pounds or something
    but will keep them on the list

Just go to your friendly local powder coating shop and ask them to sell you powder. I can get powder of high quality here for six bucks a big red kegger cup. Works great and no shipping. GP