Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: in the hospital

Perma-Banned

Mikey, good luck bud. Keep a positive attitude!!!

Boolit Master

Well, i was released from the Martinsburg VAMC on Sunday, and today, I was at the Salem, Va VAMC to see my oncologist. It has been an interesting and informative 5 days. As I stated, the folks at Martinsburg treated me with great care, and I was released, and came home in much better spirits than when I arrived. At Salem, when I told my Oncologist of the events, he was confused, and immediately ordered xrays of my ribs. No broken rib. BUT, I do have a pocket of fluid in the bottom of my left lung, which is causing pressure, and pain. This fluid is due to the melanoma I have. And, he has offered me a bit of hope for dealing with the cancer. No, not a cure, but perhaps a remission. It is a new drug that turns on the body's immune system, and locking it on. He told me that this stuff is toxic. So far, about 10% of the people that take it suffer extreme side effects or die from it. To which I replied, '...cancer is 100% fatal...'
    There can be some very nasty side effects, but, I'm going to risk it. The worst that can happen is that I die, and I will be doing that anyway, otherwise. So, now it's up to the powers that be to approve the treatment, ordering, etc. According the Dr. DiStaffano, this stuff is frighfully expensive, and has only been approved for treatment for the past two years. As the Chinese might say, I am living in interesting times. Thanks to every one of you for your thoughts and prayers. mikey
    Last edited by mikeym1a; 05-05-2014 at 07:41 PM.

in Remebrance
    Mike, continue in strength and grace. I am praying for you. I have been down the melanoma road, apparently got rid of it, but continue with the side effects of the chemo. Had to make up my mind to do what I can and let the rest go. Trust in God. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

My gracious but you got a full plate, my friend!

May God be with you thru this period of application for the new therapy... and that you can survive it. Your attitude is one of faith and to be commended! Go with God!

I recently watched an old Tom Selleck Movie, Cross Fire Trailin that, he commented to a dying friend about a saying he'd heard..."Tis a poor thing to fear death, being it's inevitableThen adds, it was said by someone not facing death

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Do keep us updated on your progress...approval for treatment and outcomes, please.

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Boolit Master

Still praying for you. Thank you for all the updates and the positive attitude. I can tell that your work is not yet done.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    May our God intervene and give you rest and peace today. Keep looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of that great God and Savior the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Adding you to my prayers Mike. You have been a great internet brother with good information shared on our mutual addiction. Keep up the good work!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Bless you sir, in jesus name....

Are you gunna run out to the range and be able to shoot them guns you wanted to shoot???

AG

Boolit Master

Since my initial post on this so very much has happened. Today was another step toward treatment. I was in the 'Day Hospital' to have what they called a 'porta-cath' installed in my upper left chest. It has a long needle that was inserted into the large vein going into the heart. Now, I'm equipped to have the 'Yervoy' treatments. As stated earlier, this chemo-therapy is designed to turn on the body's immune, and keep it on, as long as the chemicals remain in the body. But since it is a series of 4 or 6 infusions, they need a dependable site, so then put this in. I've been home for several hours, and the operation itself was about 10 hours ago, and it feels like I got hit real hard with a baseball. The release form said I had not physical restrictions, but, I'm gonna be real careful not to bump this thing until it quietens down a bit. And yes, I hope to get out to the range to do a bit of shooting at the earliest opportunity. I am actually feeling a bit stronger than I was, but, I still need to take one of my sons with me when I do. But it won't be this week, maybe next, weather permitting. Been thinking of building a gun box for my truck. A hinged affair that bolts to the bed of the truck. the top would slide off, and sit on a pair of trestle legs, and be used as a shooting bench. When closed, the box would conceal/protect my guns. Shouldn't be too hard to make. But, I guess I need to just start walking around a bit, to build up my endurance. Right now, a walk to the 100yd target would leave me exhausted. I am looking forward to my chemo, to see just what it will do. I am not looking for a cure. Realistically, probably the best I can hope for would be a remission, a few more years. Daughter just found herself a really nice young man. Works at a Museum in Delaware. Shoots with the North South Skirmish Association (he shoots cannons), does re-enactments, and seems to be an all around nice guy. Would be nice to see how this works out. Would like to see my grand-daughters grow up a bit more. But, whatever God wills. I thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. mikey

Perma-Banned

It is good to hear that you do have an opportunity to slow this somewhat.

I will continue to pray for you.

GOD bless you and your family.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm continuing to pray for you and your doctors. God takes us when He wills in spite of all that we do. Rest easy in that thought, His will is perfect.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Mikey,
    We continue to pray for you and wish you all the best.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Will pray,trust in the lord

Boolit Master
    Sending prayers Mikey

Hope this new round of treatment works for you!

Three 44s

I'm new here, Mike, but to read of your faith journey is an inspiration! Thank you for your sharing and allowing us to carry you in prayer.

I echo other's wishes for His Will to be this to work, give you more time here to share your love and insights and faith with others and family.

God's will and timing is perfect, but doesn't always match ours!

Keep the Son in your eyes, Mike! Prayers continue!

Boolit Master

Mikey, you keep hanging in there. Sounds as though things are getting better but I would keep any shooting to .22s. You have my best wishes for many years to spend on the range.

James

Boolit Master

Keep up the positive attitude. The mind can do wonders. Keep the faith and miracles can happen

gmsharps

Mike,

I was looking for my favorite bible quote, But my prayers are with you. I did find this one though.

1 Timothy 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Live Long and Prosper!

Boolit Master

That all sounds like good news Mikey! Keep the positive attitude and posting here. I enjoy hearing from you.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Keep it up Mike! They gave my Dad less than a year ay one point. He tried to behave but it was not in him! He bought a chain saw and decided to die in the woods. It took him 17 more years! Tough old vet! Hang in there brother!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast