Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help, Ohio just opening rifle for deer...

Boolit Mold

Need help, Ohio just opening rifle for deer...

As this is my first post I don't want to be too controversial or start a riot or anything, but Ohio has for the very first time opened rifles for deer hunting.

Upon hearing the news I was understandably overjoyed, and may have even wept openly a little, (don't judge me!) as I have been long waiting this moment, but to my horror they only opened it to certain calibers, most of which I have no experience with in a rifle format, as they are all straight walled cartridges, and most of them pistol cartridges at that, at least the ones I have experience with. (except for the 45-70) Anyway, here are the allowed calibers:

"The Ohio Wildlife Council approved these specific straight-walled cartridge rifles for deer hunting: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson."

Now I know that's a big list, and as there are all kinds of opinions out there, here comes the part where I don't want to inadvertently destroy the entire internet.....but.....

--> I want a rifle suitable to knock whitetail sized critters down stone dead (if possible as I don't want to chase them, it's tough to do in a wheelchair) at ranges as close to 200 yards and under as I can get. (most shots will likely be 100 yards or (way) less but I want the accuracy to extend out to 200 yards if the shot/deer is right and know I am going to make a clean, accurate shot) <--

I have experience with 90% of these applicable rounds in pistol format, but zero in rifle format, as when I did use rifles hunting it was out of state and I was allowed to use necked cartridges, so I'm use to extremely long range, extremely flat shooting rounds, and none of the above are that. SO....Knowing all this, (and sorry about the exhaustive post I just wanted to be thorough with what I was asking) what would be a general consensus as to the "go to" rifle in the above stated calibers only for this application?

Thank you all in advance! (oh and one more thing, we are setting up to handload but are not quite there in knowledge yet, so for the sake of the post can we limit the answers to calibers with readily available (HAHAHA) commercial loads? (oh and obviously lever action only)

444 marlin and 45-70 are enough gun to take on elk, brown bear and bison. My local gun shops carry both factory ammo. I would not consider either a handgun cartridge.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    444 marlin and 45-70 are enough gun to take on elk, brown bear and bison. My local gun shops carry both factory ammo. I would not consider either a handgun cartridge.
    as they are all straight walled cartridges, and most of them pistol cartridges at that, at least the ones I have experience with. (except for the 45-70)
    Thanks man. I don't consider the 444 or the 45-70 to be handgun cartridges, I simply meant that on that list the only ones I have any experience with are the handgun cartridges.

Boolit Mold
    I heard a quote once (although I do not know who said it) that
    "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
    That is what I am looking for. If I can "make" the shot, as described in my first post, I want the rifle to be more than adequate for the job. (There are a lot more variables from my hunting platform than most)

Boolit Buddy
    This may be of interest.

I have one of these in a 10" contender, and am thinking of getting another in carbine length barrel for Ohio hunting.

Back in the days of my IHMSA shooting I had one in a Dan Wesson Revolver very accurate Took several deer with that one.

The only problem right now is brass and loaded ammo , but it can be had.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=121&

Boolit Master

http://eabco.com/cntndr01.html
    Here is another place to look for Contender rifle barrels.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    If you do not already have a levergun (or two or three) in 45-70, taking all your criteria into consideration, that would be my first choice. Suitable for dropping any critter in North America. Good out to 200 yards and beyond (allowing for trajectory). Ammo available in most LGS and other sporting goods stores (when any ammo is available). When set up to reload, great to cast for and reload and super for black powder.

And welcome to the forum sir.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

A 405g 45 70 cast from a Ruger #1 or 1885 Winchester will take anything you might want to shoot.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

PM sent.

Considering the repeating rifles you will likely find close at hand, I would suggest the following calibers: .45-70, .444 (brass is scarce), .44 Magnum. They meet your criteria.

Boolit Master

.375 winchester would make a lot of sense, IMO.

You can tell from some of their choices that Ohio legislators aren't worried about wounding game animals.

Boolit Master

Having been raised in NW Ohio, I suggest you limit your range to 150 yards as a general rule. While 444, 45-70, 38-55 and 375 Win. will all work out to 200 yards, I think you owe it to yourself and the game to learn to be proficient with a rifle at a self limited range nearer to 150 yards rather than 200 yards. I am sure part of the reason for the list of cartridges Ohio has is to limit the range one is likely to take a shot and therefore limit the stray bullet syndrome. The thinking of the politicians is flawed, but I feel it is in your best interest to decide about the cartridge choice based on the spirit of the law rather than the the letter of it. I would suggest that the 444 and the big 45s may be a problem from a chair which I feel would be something to consider. Personally, I'd try to find some friends that would let me try their guns before I purchased one for some perspective on the available cartridges. My opinion for what it is worth............

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

I'm bucking the trend and would say the .357 magnum will do anything you are asking with a lot less recoil. If you really need to stretch out then the XTP or FTX (yeah, I know they are jacketed) are leading the trend in accuracy at longer ranges and there is just a few really good bullet molds to pick and choose through if you want to cast. The balistics from a rifle are a good jump from any revolver of the same caliber and a Rossi 16" carbine is very easy to handle with all kinds of sight upgrades if you need them. You could even buy the version for mounting a scout scope or red dot if you needed the help. Yes, the big bores will take anything you want but right here and right now you seem to only be hunting deer and if you are confined to a wheel chair then the .357 isn't going to send you rolling backwards...

Boolit Master
    It begs the question- Why allow such romping stomping calibers like .45-70 and .50-110 and disallow ones like .30-30? Another reason to disbelieve the wisdom of elected officials (or un-elected ones for that matter). Still in all, at least they are moving in the right direction.

Boolit Master
    IF it were me I go 38-55 or 375 win. you can find both of those in lever action rifles, and can load the 38-55 to 375 velocities pretty easily. Both take cast boolits readily and have low recoil. Also if you use an gun without a tubular magazine, you could take advantage of the many spitzer bullets in that diameter. I wouldnt blink at taking a 250-300 yard shot with either of those calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    It begs the question- Why allow such romping stomping calibers like .45-70 and .50-110 and disallow ones like .30-30? Another reason to disbelieve the wisdom of elected officials (or un-elected ones for that matter). Still in all, at least they are moving in the right direction.
    My sentiments exactly. I snickered when I read the list of approved chamberings and saw that 30-30 was not on the list, but 50-110 was. So, it would be OK to shoot lengthwise through a cow, but a 30-30 is just too much. But, it is indeed a step in the correct direction.

Vendor Sponsor

The most logical choice from the point of view of effectiveness at the range you specify, would be the 45-70. It is tried, tested, proven beyond a doubt, easy to find reloading data and components as well as loaded ammo. The .44 magnum and .45 Colt leverguns are great with the Lee RF boolits but they are 100yd cartridges. I would not consider a .357 for deer past about 30yds. Not when there are quite a few much better choices.

The one thing the 45-70 does have over many of the others, factory ammo is already an excellent boolit for deer, where in .45 Colt for example you have to handload, you have to hunt pretty hard for boolits at times, and you really can't buy very much decent off the shelf hunting ammo for it.

The other cartridge on that list that gets my attention would be the .375 Winchester. It's a skinnier 45-70 that would be plenty enough gun for anything on the North American continent, but the boolit weight is half that of the 45-70 so there would be a better trajectory, and less recoil.

And then there's the .444 so you have some great calibers to choose from. Once you consider only a 200yd shot, and how practical it is to find ammo for the caliber, the list gets real short real quick as to what would still work good.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I would look at 38-55 and possibly 375 win also along with 45-70, and possibly 444 marlin alot is going to be what is available in the wanted lever actions to purchase here also. Maybe a henery in 44 magnum or 45-70. Derr take a good solid hit but not really super creatures that absorb bullets like a sponge either. I am thinking a 38-55 with around a 260 to 300 grn bullet over enough powder to get to around 1300-1400 fps would do nicely with decent recoil and accuracy. A 45-70 with a 350-450 grn bullet again at around 1300-1400 would work nicely with light recoil. Cast the bullets on the softer side, maybe 16-1 or 20-1 very little or no atimony they should expand nicely that way.

Boolit Buddy
    Which caliber you pick depends on a couple of things:
    A. What distance will most of your shots come? 50 yards - Any of those listed will be fine. 200 yards - hardly any of those listed.
    B. How dead do you want to deer to be? .357 = mostly dead, 45 Colt = really dead, 45-70 = overly dead, 50-110 = Oh Hell, there's nothing left.
    C. What else to you plan to do with the rifle? Ohio's moose population is rather small, so the big cartridges (above .45 Colt) aren't going to get much alternative use.
    My suggestion - .454 Casull. You can use full power .454 Casull rounds for self abuse and deer hunting, you can use the same rifle with .45 Colt ammo for deer, and you can handload lower energy rounds for smaller targets. (Also makes a great Home Defense rifle.)
    I'm 67 and don't enjoy shooting the big stuff any longer. I like to shoot a rifle that will do the job without wacking me in the shoulder...too bad 32-20 isn't on the list.
    Bottom line: .357 rifle - hard to find, but would be a reasonable choice. .454 Casull - easier to find, can also fire .45 Colt...could be used for deer and the occasional Ohio brown bear/moose/elk

Of course this is just my .02 cents worth.