WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! want a new gun. What one?

S&W K22

I know it's not on your list, but the only way to learn a skill such as double action shooting is with a good double action. They can be both deadly accurate and fast and fun.

My first pistols were a single six and a Mark I, truth be told I would have been better served with a K-22, 17, 18 or 617. I do have a 6" 617, and there are 10's of thousands of rounds that have gone down her barrel, but she is a bit heavier than need be.

The pick of the litter in my mind would be the 4" model 18 (I'm still looking for one of those).
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Can't afford it, and I don't really like Smith and Wesson pistols. Mom has a J-frame that I use some times. It's all right but I think that I would like the Ruger better.
    Daniel/BS Jr.

Don't let a J frame sour your opinion of S&W revolvers. I have a 63 Kit Gun and any K frame is 3x the gun. My 63 is not accurate enough at 25 yards to reliably fill the small game pot. But I keep it around because I have a 7 and 4 year old and it is light enough for them to be learning on.

You can't go wrong with those Rugers either, I consider my Mark I a good choice for a kit gun. And the single six has provided hours of enjoyment (plus a rabbit or two).
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Heck, I wouldn't get a 45/70, your pappy has a nice shiny Marlin, just use that

375s are nice, but seeing you are a bit light on equipment, I'd go for a 30-06 or something like that and sponge offa pappy for the big stuff until you get set up proper.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by 4fingermick View Post
    Heck, I wouldn't get a 45/70, your pappy has a nice shiny Marlin, just use that

375s are nice, but seeing you are a bit light on equipment, I'd go for a 30-06 or something like that and sponge offa pappy for the big stuff until you get set up proper.
    I had a 30/06. Not big enough. I am planing on shooting dads 375 JRS today. Tell you guys how I like it. Am going to start with lighter loads and work up to see what I can take. I have shot dads "marlin only" loads in 45/70, not bad. I want the 375 because it will have more range for caribou.
    Daniel/BS Jr.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Always wanted a 375, the new Ruger 375 looks gooddddddddddddddddddd!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Never thought I'd hear "had a 30-06, not big enough". It somehow hurts me deep inside.

I wish you the best of luck with your search.

Everett

Boolit Buddy
    Nice choices. Had a Ruger #1 in 375 but sold it and have been depressed about it ever since. I have a #1 in 458 now, but don't like it near as well as I did the 375. Also, tried to find a good reliable 22 that was easy to shoot and easy to take down and clean. Ruled out the MkI and MkIIs, as I had 3 of them and all were a pain to take down and put back together. Oh, did I mention that they all jammed often enough for me to get good at spitting. Then tried High Standard Target autos. Jammed on occasion, but it was the need of a hammer to disassemble the pieces for takedown that really forced me to give them up. So I got a Smith K22 masterpiece. 2 of em. Light primer hits on both guns often enough to make them unreliable. So got a Colt Diamondback in 22. Same problem. So sold all of those. Then got 2 Ruger Super Single Sixes with the extra 22 mag cylinders. (one for each hand). They both put the bullets exactly where they are aimed, I have NEVER had a light primer hit with either gun and takedown is a breeze. They don't jam. They function the same whether it is 110 degrees or 20 below (have hunted with them in both those conditions). What more can I say. I've had them for at least 15 years now and they won't go anywhere I don't go!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDM141972 View Post
    Never thought I'd hear "had a 30-06, not big enough". It somehow hurts me deep inside.

Everett
    Remember "BS Junior" is 15 or 16 and lives next to a bison preserve in rural Alaska. He'll get over it but has to ride a few bronc's first. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Gianni
    He is 14, wont be 15 until August. He is now 6' 3" tall and squeeses into a size 13 shoe. Its gettin kinda scarry lookin up at him.
    Hope dont nobody take offence from him. He is big but just a kid and changes his mind on this stuff faster than a humming bird can change direction.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Bullshop - Please don't mis-understand my post. I was only joshing. I'm shore you have a fine lad on your hands and that, in your neck of the woods, the 30-06 could be considered a smallish round. Its great to see a young man that has something he wants and has sense enough to ask questions first. Does a heart good.

Kind Regards and Better Intentions,

Everett

P.S. BullshopJr - I hope you get as big a gun as you can hold onto and afford.

Build you a 411 KDF, like it ,you will! All do, it will!

Boolit Master
    Everett
    No worries mate! I cant seem to keep up with him and at times he may say some goofy things. A chip off the old block he is ah!
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDM141972 View Post

Everett
    I liked my 30/06 a lot..........until I got to see some 8*1/2*" bear tracks, and saw a nice grizzly, and then it just felt kind of small. I have been shooting dads 375 JRS and like it a lot.

Now I need to break every ones heart and tell them that my search is over, for now. Yesterday I got a CZ 52. I like it a lot. Shoots good enough to hit a pop can at 20 yard half the time, and I am not that good with a hand gun either. I am now looking at getting a new press. Looking at a lee classic turret.

Now I still need three things.
    #1-all the loads and info I can get on the CZ 52
    #2-some good brass
    #3-MORE AMMO PLEASE!!!!!!
    Daniel/BS Jr.
    Last edited by Bullshop Junior; 01-16-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a beautiful S&W17-3 6" that is lovely in every way, but my Ruger
    Std 6" will outshoot it any old day.

Buy the Ruger auto and spend the time to be a crack shot with a pistol.
    This gun will teach you everything that there is to know about pistol
    shooting except recoil and muzzle blast, and you will learn better without
    them. Cheap, accurate gun with cheap and accurate ammo.

Consider the short bull barreled 45/22 as it has the proper grip angle, never too
    early to start learning about the inherent superiority of the 1911 design.

Do yourself a favor. My Dad bought me one when I was 16 and over the
    next 10 years I learned a lot from that gun. Still have it 40 yrs later and it will shoot
    into 5/8" at 25yds with match ammo.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone know, or know where I can find information on the Ruger 96/44 lever action max chamber pressure? I have some loads that shoot fine in pistol but are showing maybe signs of over pressure in the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Does anyone know, or know where I can find information on the Ruger 96/44 lever action max chamber pressure? I have some loads that shoot fine in pistol but are showing maybe signs of over pressure in the rifle.
    No thread Hi-jacking please!
    Daniel/BS Jr.

Boolit Master

Bought a CZ52 a few years back - lots of fun, with one major failing. They will throw the spent cases way to Hell and gone. I found one 27 yards away, and that's just too far to be chasing brass. I have some good S & B ammo but all I shoot from the CZ52 is cheap mil-surp stuff. One of the beauties to that Ruger 22 Auto is that all you care about is the shot - you'll never be distracted looking for brass.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Grand Master

I echo Jim, my 52 throws brass way off. On the other hand, a case of surplus ain't all that expensive. Berdan primed, so you only pick up those you can find an recycle.

Try shooting your Dad's 405. I'm not sure which one he has, but if it's the Ruger #1 you can load that close to the old British 450. It'll kill anything you have out there, but won't reach out and touch 300yds away accurately if you need that. I'm pushing your dad's 350gr bullet @2000fps out of a Winnie '95 and don't want to go much hotter than that in that rifle. In a Ruger I'd try pushing them faster, listen to your dad about how fast. Actually, with the pointed bullet Hornaday now has you might be able to reach out to 300yds.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

dad has all the guns that where on my list he has 2 375's, a ruger and a Remington, he has the marlin, and with in the time that I posted my first post and now, has got both the ruger 22's.

Now on finding spent brass, that is easy for me. I just set a 55 gallon drum on its side and shoot prone with the side of the gun up to the drum. Catches all my brass, and with hot loads dents the drum.
    Daniel/BS Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast