Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter Bee Load

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    Yes, but probably not as good or as far as a 357 or a 44 mag bee load. Those mentioning rifle loads, Those would be long range killers for sure. Never tried a rifle load, only 357 and 44 Mag.

Uher you are right black widows don't fly they are pretty much confined to the web!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

I use one of these. Y'all might not wanna get this close to a critter that has the ability to chase ya down and sting you, but it does work.
    https://youtu.be/JmqTHLn1JWg
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Update to recent post:

Got the empty brass back, but not the TC.

Boolit Buddy
    Quick question for the guys using grits in their bug buster ammo. When you touch off a load do you yell "Kiss my grits!"? Gotta be at least 40 to get the reference.

Boolit Master

I didn't read the whole thread, but will simple blanks work for close-range bees?

Maybe a grain or three of fast-burning powder, then 5-6 grains of something slow like 296, in a .45 colt case.....would that make a fireball long enough to reach a carpenter bee from 8'?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, but will simple blanks work for close-range bees?

Maybe a grain or three of fast-burning powder, then 5-6 grains of something slow like 296, in a .45 colt case.....would that make a fireball long enough to reach a carpenter bee from 8'?
    Wait till dark and touch one off.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh man... you don't want flaming carpenter bees flying around your barn do you?

Boolit Master

I'm thinking that if you burn their wings off you can stomp them for the coup de grace.

Cheaper and, in some ways, safer than using shotshells.

Boolit Master

Well, I tried just that - with 4 grains of 700-x and a 0.7cc Lee dipper full of 296 - and at 8' it didn't even make a mark on the paper. At 2' it left a nasty mark and the wadding penetrated the paper.

I only loaded two of them. Honest to goodness, I'm walking back across the deck to come back inside and a carpenter bee buzzed me and my unloaded .45.

:/

Boolit Master

Tried again. Useless at six feet. 296 doesn't even ignite, best I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    I live in a log house and like you have been at war with them for years, to old to swing a badmitten racket. Instead of lead shot I load .5cc scoop of powder, over powder card board wad and fill the case with tumbling walnut media and then use another over shot card board wad, and use finger nail polish to seal the wad to the case. I've loaded 45 acp for my 1917's and 38 spl and 45 colt. I just buy my wads from circle fly wad. I load and shoot a couple of thousand a year, and they keep coming back every spring. About the longest shot I take will be 6 ft. Even made a set of dies to compress the wads and walnut media with. About the only shooting I do anymore. That walnut media really polishes the bore of my revolvers.
    May I ask .5cc scoop of what Powder?
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Muskrat Mike usually use what ever powder I have on hand. Some one gave me some old 12 ga shotshells that were split and I opened them up and saved the shot for my snake loads in the 45 acp and used the powder to make bee loads with. This year using IMR 4198 because I have a surplus of it. Any powder will work , but I use long barrel revolvers, tried some in my Ruger sp 101 stubby but powder didn't burn good. The walnut media is so light there is little resistance to make the powder burn, so no problem with high pressure. There is a thread in the muzzle loading section about using black powder, which I may try . Love the smell of black powder smoke, I compress the over powder wad in my press before putting walnut media in. Loaded 700 357 mag to shoot in my Ruger security six and only have about 40 left this year. Note this is a great way to practice point and shoot, and is kinda like wing shooting flying birds, you have to learn to lead them. Buggers are fast flyers.
    Last edited by owejia; 05-12-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Well, I tried just that - with 4 grains of 700-x and a 0.7cc Lee dipper full of 296 - and at 8' it didn't even make a mark on the paper. At 2' it left a nasty mark and the wadding penetrated the paper.

I only loaded two of them. Honest to goodness, I'm walking back across the deck to come back inside and a carpenter bee buzzed me and my unloaded .45.

:/

Never shoot your gun dry!!!!
    Just as you do you will get attacked!

Boolit Bub
    What fun it is shooting them out of the air. I have got about a dozen of them in the last three days.

My load is 3.7gr. of unique,wad,about 14gr. of rice,wad with a wax seal.

Vendor Sponsor

I have been resisting the Bug A Salt for a year or so but after my wife saw the video she went and ordered one from the Mfg. (always order direct from the Mfg if possible)

She will no doubt take this one over as she is the designated "Varminator" in the house. Our Cats are useless, when it comes to dealing with Rodents, and a big triumphant kill for them is a lizard.

Anyway Flies getting in the house while doors are open (usually pushed open by said Cats) is a constant issue and being able to deal with them in a decisive manner will be a welcome addition to our on going quest to rid the planet of pests.

Here's three of her recent victims. She takes her Flower Beds very seriously!

She is well known Locally,,, and now "Internationally,,, as "Gopher Slayer!"

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-28-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Got a bunch of them around here eating holes in my treated wood porch. There is a wasp around here that goes into the hole and eats them. Salt works good in a slingshot. Deadly quiet or you can say 'bang' if you miss the effect. The white faced males don't sting. Back in grade school we used to catch them and keep them in your mouth. It really used to freak out the girls when you open your mouth and one flys out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    Got a bunch of them around here eating holes in my treated wood porch. There is a wasp around here that goes into the hole and eats them. Salt works good in a slingshot. Deadly quiet or you can say 'bang' if you miss the effect. The white faced males don't sting. Back in grade school we used to catch them and keep them in your mouth. It really used to freak out the girls when you open your mouth and one flys out.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I was given a few packs of 9mm planks a few years ago and if i got within a foot of the flying carpenter bee mounting my kill was out of the question. They were fun while they lasted. You may want to let others around know they are blanks, seeing someone waving a pistol around shooting at things they cannot see may cause some concern for your mental health lol.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I was given a few packs of 9mm planks a few years ago and if i got within a foot of the flying carpenter bee mounting my kill was out of the question. They were fun while they lasted. You may want to let others around know they are blanks, seeing someone waving a pistol around shooting at things they cannot see may cause some concern for your mental health lol.

These days someone is sure to call the Police & you REALLY don't want to be waving a gun around when they arrive.
    A "man with a gun" call is taken VERY seriously!

Vendor Sponsor

OK guys the solution has arrived! last Saturday I ordered a Bug A Salt gun. It arrived today.

This thing is so cool I almost soiled myself. I read the instructions, filled the magazine with table salt as set forth around my insect infested home.

There were many casualties! and will continue to be for some time to come.

It is a pump action gun with an auto safety and is well made and bright yellow so you won't be cornfused with an armed felon.

My first shots to check sighting were at Roses from 3 feet. The pattern is about 2" dia. and the salt perforated the flower petals in a nice even pattern. Max Range is about 3 to 3.5 feet. at 2 feet it blows small Garden Spiders to bits. One Black Widow which had a body about the size of a pea took about 5 shots to completely annihilate. heh, heh,,,

Flies have no chance ! it blows them away ,,, literally,,, but it doesn't necessarily blow them apart because they are too light and just get blown away with the blast. I can see being able to wing shoot them as long as you are quick.

Haven't shot a bee yet but I have no doubt it will work just fine. If the thing has landed and you can get within 2 feet it will blow them away for sure.

Spiders are easy as they sit still so you can blast them.

This thing is something that people who live in bug infested place should be issued at birth. I immediately considered this gun to be a mandatory part of any serious shooters arsenal after 15 minutes of firing about 50 shots. Best $50 I've spent in along time and I will get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

Off to the store to pick up some nice coarse Kosher Salt for big game!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com