Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Carpenter Bee Load

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Up the powder charge to 3.0gr. This will set the case back reseating the primers and avoid the backed out primers. No need to drill a perfectly good case.
    I used Speers data for their shotshell loads as starting data. 3gr of Bullseye did same thing in the .45colt. I use 5.0.
    I have several nickel plated 38 cases with scratches from a steel sizing die. I have had them for years and don't load nickel plated cases so these will be easy to keep separate.

Boolit Bub
    I am 12 for 14 shots the last couple of days. The weather finally warmed up and the big bees have come out.

I have been using 3.7gr of Red Dot with rice and a bit of walnut medium. Great fun and gets rid of the bees.

Boolit Master
    .300 Win mag case sized to fit .375 H & H chamber, primed and loaded w/ 10 grains Bullseye and remainder of case filled w/ corn meal and case neck plugged w/ tissue paper wad will be effective and makes an interesting short necked wildcat case...
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

Check out the BUG ASSULT gun, fires table salt to kill bugs about $50.00 or less

Boolit Master

Video of my first attempt a few years ago

I took a (crappy) video of my first attempt using ground walnut shells and a tiny amount of bullseye. The little wasp nest on my boat had a few wasps on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eSuNXSSHAY
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomadman View Post
    I am 12 for 14 shots the last couple of days. The weather finally warmed up and the big bees have come out.

I have been using 3.7gr of Red Dot with rice and a bit of walnut medium. Great fun and gets rid of the bees.
    Very nice. I love it when they hover close.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    Check out the BUG ASSULT gun, fires table salt to kill bugs about $50.00 or less
    I have one of those. They are a blast for the common house fly out to about 3-4 ft. I keep one out on my patio to get rid of the flies and have some fun doing it.
    All a Bug-A-Salt will do to a carpenter bee is make him mad.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

I've used a Bug-A-Salt indoors for years and find it a complete hoot on flies and other small critters. I agree with Down South that it would be too weak for serious use outdoors on wasps and bees. However, the Bug-A-Salt site is touting a new outdoor version that is designed to discharge a heavier salt blast. If I were getting my first one, that could be the ticket.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I have one of those. They are a blast for the common house fly out to about 3-4 ft. I keep one out on my patio to get rid of the flies and have some fun doing it.
    All a Bug-A-Salt will do to a carpenter bee is make him mad.

They are dangerous when they are wounded.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    I saw the salt shooter not long ago and I wonder how salt would do as a projectile in a "pseudoshotshell" load? Course salt for the range or fine salt for the coverage?

What would it do to the barrel in a revolver?

On a side note, we have a shed that is plagued with carpenter bees. They have nearly destroyed a couple of the joists. We got a product to eradicate them. It looks like white baby powder that you squirt into the holes they have bored. In some joists, you squeeze the powder into the holes and watch the powder "puff" out at the other end of the tunnel. It is a little tedious but is nasty medicine for them. It keeps them from coming back and kills them quick.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

When I was a kid, a Blackcat Firecracker stuffed in the hole worked well.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Bub
    The white powder is probably Boric Acid. It seems to be very effective on most insects.

There is a water soluble formulation of boric acid that is used to treat wood. Boric acid does not degrade over time, so if it can penetrate the wood it will keep working.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't think I've ever seen a carpenter bee but , what looks like a bumble bee is boring into the boards of my sheds . only seems to do it on the underside of horizontal wood though. Aren't carpenter bees rather small ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

No, Jack. Look like bumble bees, but burrow into wood. Sounds like you got them.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

No, Jack, carpenter bees look like great BIG bumblebees! I've found the Bug-A-Salt to work pretty well on them. They like to hover, be slow and carefully line up the shot. They fall to the ground and get crushed by my boot.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Took out 4 last weekend with a tennis racket.
    Two singles and a double. Not a bad day hunting. I haven't got around to making more loads yet though. I'm thinking now that I have a 44 mag that might be the new case of choice over the 357

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Yes that guys sure do burrow into wood . I don't have the bug-assault ...... but I do have a S&W .44 that doesn't get used much .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Well I got in on this bee killing, 44mag, 5 grs of green dot, 3 paper cards, case full of billed corn( when a chicken eats ground corn it will kick a bit out on the ground with it beak, it is called billed corn) card on top and crimped so to hold the card in. Shot a red wasp nest with 10 to 15 wasps. Vaporized most of the wasps, found 3 or 4 still kicking on the ground. Nest was pulp and on the ground. Made the shot from about 3 feet. Went "hunting" and found 3 more nests that did not make it to sunset. Thanks to all that posted and giving me the idea.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011