MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC coated bullets and FPS

Boolit Man
    Back from the range where I shot the above mentioned loads - Accuracy was in the 2.5 - 3.25 inch range at 100yd - not bad for moving almost 2700fps

Next trip will be same load/bullet only without a GC - eventually I may try to find an accuracy node but it has certainly proved at least as accurate as surplus ball ammo.

I'm gonna need to do a lot more casting now :P

Bore looks as clean as a whistle. Really liking this PC business on boolits.

Sniper - I got better accuracy with H335 than 4895 + higher fps (2450/2350 fps) for the 165gr. GC'd. You might get better performance with 18-19 gr. 2400 sans GC (1800-1900). I think the short stick powder still beats up the base a lot. I've tried LeverE & H4895 , like 20 gr., fps was low & accuracy was poor with the H4895. I was down in the 1200-1300 fps range.
    Loaded some Rx7 compressed loads to try to get the BO to cycle, wish me luck. I am working on a new boolit for it if the 165 doesn't get it to cycle, go down to 140-150ish & a different base. Not sure I like compressed loads.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    I have used RL7 for subs in the 300BLK with the Lee 230gr as well as IMR-4227 in both subs and supers. I don't really care for the RL7 loads as they left a lot of powder in barrel/chamber. Had to switch to the WSR from CCI and FC SR with 4227 to get into the subsonic range. I did experiment for a sub load with 2400 and was suprised a bit when they (230gr) ran 1330fps @ 10.0gr

Best option so far for the sub 300blk loads is AA1680. Nice and clean. Running 16" CMMG with pistol gas. I actually have 3 super loads that track within 10 - 15yds of each other all the way to 500yd using Lyman 311359GC, 311410PB and RCBS 130SP (withGC (141gr) and w/o GC(137gr))

My Lee 160TL doesnt like to chamber in mine very well and I am happy with the lighter weight options.

I realize accuracy may be better with lighter loads - my experiment just to see how viable a full speed PC boolit would be. The bullet shortage we had is the reason
    behind the experiment. I may be picking up the RCBS mold for my 260Rem since the 142SMKs are out of stock most everywhere. Putting a crimp on the competition shooting this year.
    I have a bunch of the IMR-4895 to use up so thats where I started. I can try some WC846 as well as IMR-3031 and IMR-4320.