WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlisting in the Navy and continuing education.

Boolit Bub

Enlisting in the Navy and continuing education.

I've always wanted to join the military, as a career, and the past couple years have been rough financially. I planned on going into the delayed entry program straight out of high school but decided against it because my girlfriend (now fiancee) wasn't comfortable with the idea of me going into EOD, and I don't blame her.

Now the idea has risen again and she is ecstatic about the possibility of travel and financial independence, but I've gotten into the medical field so naturally I want to continue with that and the only enlisted medical rate I can find is Hospital Corpsman, so that's what I plan to do for now. I'm speaking with a recruiter later today.

My questions are:
    1. Almost two years ago I broke my back, it didn't require surgery, and I've been rated at 10% disability, but the Dr. released me without restrictions. will this cause any issues?

2. I'm an NREMT-b, will the Navy have a program to help me gain the needed CE hours and keep this from expiring?

3. Is there a program where I can enlist, to get back on my feet, obtain a bachelors degree while enlisted and get into OCS?
    a. Or after I've gotten established is there a way I could take off, go to medical school, and come back in as a physician?

4. It's my understanding that after boot and A-school, the Navy will move my wife to wherever I'm stationed. is this true for bases overseas such as Japan, Italy, or Guam?

5. I have 50 college credits, I understand this could put me in as an E-3, but are there any advanced placement programs for high ASVAB scores (I scored a 94 FWIW). and how far will this score realistically get me?

and last but not least, to all you Navy guys, if you could go back would you enlist again?

Thanks in advance.

I was in the navy and right out of high school under delay entry. Corpsmen school last i know of is in Great lakes and as for your back i think you have a had time with that.But it is worth to try if you really want to go in.As for me I would not go back in.I did the delay entry and then 4 years active duty and then in active Res that was total of 6 years and then try the active Res for 2 years and got out it is not for me after total of 8 years in all.My oldest sister was a corpsman.got out because of her husband at the time.I also had 2 sister that was in the airforce and 1 brother in the navy.As for money it will not be easy being in.That is just for what i know unless someone else have something else to say.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

In Remembrance

A very good friend of ours Son is on a delayed enlistment till late May for entering the USMC at Pendalton. He is enlisting in honor of my Marine son that passed away 3 years ago today.Robert

Talk with the recruiter and make sure of his answers. Check the number of corpsmen, new ratings for the year, etc. Would I go back - no, but then I'm too old anyway. I was combat rated, not support, reserves didn't even want me. Don't count on too much relocation pay, it's usually just travel expenses. You'd probably have to get shore duty to continue any education. I knew several that went on to med school, I think you need to get into OCS or whatever and get rated as a real doc.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Those are questions that you need to ask the recruiter because the answers frequently change depending on the manpower needs and budget constraints of the service. Any specific answers you get from members of this site should be taken with a grain of salt unless the respondent asked a recruiter those same questions within the last week or they are currently serving in the Navy as a hospital corpsman. Even information from currently serving service members may be different from what you get from the recruiter because of time in service/time in grade differences. A medical doctor, not the recruiter, will make the determination if your back injury disqualifies you from serving. Also, you need to talk to the state board that maintains your certification records to determine if service school programs will satisfy their continuing education requirements.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master

Get an education now and if you desire, go into the military as an officer. There are lots of educational opportunities in the military, but your job comes first. This means that you are not guaranteed the ability to go to school. Officers make more...much more money. They also can continue their education on the taxpayers tab.

There are commissioning programs for enlisted people, but they are highly competitive.

At least in the Air Force, they allowed enlisted people a year off to finish their degree, but that was not a commissioning program. You had to pay back your time--and then some.

The military always pays to move your family and household goods.

I was enlisted in the AF for 20+ years and I regret none of it. If my kids wanted to go into the military...I'd try to get them to go in as officers.

Boolit Bub
    I want to go in as an officer, and I planned on it. Thats why I didnt do the DEP for EOD. But I fear I can no longer afford school on my own, thats why I am considering enlisted first. Plus I would be able to see how the enlisted side lives.

Love Life
    Education is a carrot dangled in front of the rabbit. Duty first and always. If you come in as a Corpsman you could end up blue or greenside. Blue side you'll probably have time to finish a degree. Go greenside and you belong to the Marines and you probably won't have time to complete a degree in the traditional sense. Between deployments and field time you may be able to buckle down during your libbo time to knock out a correspondence degree. That's all I can really offer on the subject.

Galena Guru

I was in the Navy for 21 years , retired in 1994 .. Yes they have programs to get a commission while enlisted , lots did college courses after hours , I dunno what its called now but it was NESEP IIRC when I was in ..

Some bases are unaccompanied tours , she stays here , but those you listed , she would most likely be able to go .. Spain and Italy are nice .. If you go to a ship , she will go with you to homeport ..

You MAY be able with your scores to go straight to college .. When I did my exams , I scored high enough to go straight to college , and was offered that option three times ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

In Remembrance
    If you are going in strictly for financial concerns, here is a possible option. The reason I say possible, is that it may have changed, but the state of Alaska would under certain conditions pay off school loans to some in the medical field, when they signed a contract to work so long in certain areas. I don't know if they still do this, or the particulars, but you would get some traveling in and some lessons on native village culture. lol I also don't know if it has changed or not, but a nurse used to get their retirement in, in 5 years too.

Boolit Bub
    Its not strictly for financial concerns, I've always planned to go. But the finances are the reason to go before I finish my bachelors.

Alaska is where we plan to move when I get out.

Banned

I don't know about the Navy, but the Army will have education centers with colleges offering courses and degrees you can do in your off time and will usually make a lot of allowances for field times, etc., to get it done. Most Soldiers could get a lot of college knocked out during an enlistment if they buckled down and did it, the problem is, they are young men, free from mom and dad for the first time and most will spend any free time goofing around rather than doing anything productive. That doesn't sound like you, so go for it and start looking to get college courses in while you're in.

In the Army, OCS is the hard way to get a commission. Getting it through ROTC at an accredited college is better. You might get your initial enlistment done to get the GI bill. ETS and stay in the reserves while you go to college and do ROTC then go back in as an O-1 (Ensign in the Navy).

Whereabouts in Kansas are you?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    If you are going in strictly for financial concerns, here is a possible option. The reason I say possible, is that it may have changed, but the state of Alaska would under certain conditions pay off school loans to some in the medical field, when they signed a contract to work so long in certain areas. I don't know if they still do this, or the particulars, but you would get some traveling in and some lessons on native village culture. lol I also don't know if it has changed or not, but a nurse used to get their retirement in, in 5 years too.
    That's for real huh ?
    It sure made for a great storyline in a TV show (Northern Exposure)

also, a nurse can retire in 5 years ?
    My Cousin was a Nurse for many many years...so long that they named a clinic after her "Clara Morgan Subregional Clinic" http://www.ykhc.org/about-ykhc/medic...gional-clinic/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I finished my Navy "career" after 4 years 1965-1969, as a Hospital Corpsman. Would I do it again; in a heartbeat. I noticed an above comment concerning OCS, I'm not sure but I don't think that would be available to you. Education is key and the more of it you have the better it'll be for your advancement. I my 4 years I made HM2 (E-5) and was eligible to test for advancement at the end of my tour. I later (after my Service) became a Registered Nurse and then a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, and I owe it all to my level of education I received from the Navy.
    I wish you the very best and congrats on your decision.
    P.S. Don't put much stock in what a recruiter "promises" they all use the time honored techniques of "bait and switch". It's like when you apply for your preferred duty station, you choose your top three places and don't be surprised if NONE of your choices are even remotely close to where you are billeted.

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t have any Navy experience, all mine was Coast Guard. It used to be that Coastie Corpsmen went to Navy schools because the Coast Guard was too small to have its own schools. Don’t know if it is still that way or not.

The CG has Corpsmen in Alaska at Kodiak and Sitka for sure, and on some of the cutters as well, so that might be of interest to you.

The downside to the Coast Guard is that the stations and bases are small compared to the Navy and there is not as much opportunity for overseas travel. The plus side is shipboard deployments would be shorter than the larger Navy ships. Pay would be the same for both services.

Anything the recruiter promises (Navy or CG), I would get in writing.

Not trying to sway you in a different direction, just throwing out some options you may not know about.

As to Alaska, here’s a site to check out: http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/workplace/

I suspect the earlier comment about nurses retiring in 5 years might refer to the fact that State of Alaska employees are vested into the retirement system after 5 years of employment.

Good luck in your decision!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone, I talked to a few recruiters (the whole office was pushing me to sign today).

They didn't clarify a lot of the questions I had, and they promised me a bunch of stuff I know was BS. So I'm going to talk to someone else next week probably, no matter what I do I've got a few strings to tie up before I go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

Whereabouts in Kansas are you?
    Elk County, in the middle of nowhere.

Military can and does at times put alot of strain on a marrage. Many things to think about beside finances. Ask lots of questions and beleive only the answers you have investigated and varified. Recrutors will say about anything to get you to sign.
    People don't flame me for my oppinion.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

In the navy I believe there's more options to continue school than the in army. My cousin is an e7 and he's said his entire career he's had so many opportunities to get more education. So far my three years i've been pretty restricted due to deployment and other missions that put a hold on that. I still plan to get more education, but it's been at least a year and a half delay.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Get it in writing. In 1969 My USMC recruter promised me I could go in as a Marine medic.
    I guess y'all know how that worked out.
    Both of my sons went to the Army, with contracts.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Love Life
    Your recruiter got you good!!