Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: L&K Scope Repair.

L&K Scope Repair.

I have wanted to get my Weaver K2.5 redone now for several years. It was in really nice condition except the lenses were delaminated, which is a common problem with older optics. I intend to mount the scope on my Marlin 336 .30-30 because it was made in 1958 and this scope is period correct being of the same vintage.

I considered sending it to a company called Iron Sight in Tulsa OK, who recently got a write up in American Rifleman Magazine, however after talking to the guy on the phone and finding out that he was quoting 13-16 months turn around time! After a lengthy conversation I found out that he is unwilling to hire more workers unless they are willing to work for $5/ hour and he only pays by the piece which in this case doesn't encourage people to stay long.

He had 1200 scopes backlogged! As a businessman I find this ridiculous. With the Mag article there will no doubt be a large wave of business flooding to this guy which will only put him further behind. He said he expected to go out to 24 months. That is REALLY ridiculous!

I then called another guy named Larry Weisz who runs L&K Scope Repair in Eldridge MO. (417-426-5041) He has 35+ years of experience working on optics of this type and specializes on Steel American made optics, as well as some of the more exotic optics from Europe.

He originally quoted me 6-8 weeks turnaround which is more in keeping with a well ran business. I told him what was needed and he quoted a price and I sent the scope to him by Priority Mail that day.

This was 3/31/14. I called him last week wondering if he received the scope, and he told me that the scope was done and to send him a USPS MO. I did and the rebuilt scope came in the mail today. (4/16/14)

It is perfect, and I just adjusted the focus a few minutes ago. And even though he charged more for the service than the other guy, he more than made up for the difference with the fast turnaround. I don't mind paying a little more when the service is that good and the product is great.

Any of you who have older name brand scopes that need attention might give him a call. A pre 64 Model 70 just doesn't look right with a new Nikon or Bushnell scope on it. It needs a vintage Weaver Redfield or Leupold to be right.

His Email is lkscoperepair@hughes.net Website is http://lkscoperepair.webs.com/

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-16-2014 at 10:41 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear of another repair place. I have a couple that need some work. I agree that vintage guns look better with vintage scopes, and sometimes you have little choice in replacement scopes like my fascination with Stith mounts. A few years back I felt a bit uncomfortable after a call to Iron Sight about sending in some repairs and let them sit in the safe instead.
    Last edited by texassako; 04-16-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for posting this, scope repairmen are hard to find!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Moderator Emeritus

Larry is a great guy.
    I met him through the old ammobrasstrader website. While I've never had him recondition a scope for me, he got glowing reviews there.

He sells some nice vintage Glass on fleabay...if it's coming from him, it's either reconditioned or been thoroughly inspected. I know I can trust him !

I recently bought a older "Bausch and Lomb" Bushnell from him...as well as a nice RWS airrifle scope (through fleabay). Both are nice and clear, plus great condition. Both were well under $100.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

What is his handle on fleabay?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    What is his handle on fleabay?
    You can search for "lkscoperepair40"
    OR
    just look for photo's with green naugahyde background lol
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Larry has done me good and he is a fine gentleman to boot, not a marketeer hoping to make a quick buck.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Good to hear that others have had good experiences with Larry. We hit it off quickly and I wouldn't hesitate sending him more work.

People who do this kind of work are few and far between. Good ones are even scarcer.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Hi Randy,
    Thanks for sharing! I think there are more bino repairmen than riflescope repairmen! I sent out a pair of WWII Brit 6x30's and cost me close to $100 to get them cleaned inside purged, sealed and collminated! They were worth it but my little sister claimed them after using them one day on a Florida nature trail looking at mostly gators!
    Last edited by seagiant; 04-18-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub
    I agree, had a good experience with Larry. Spoke with him on the phone and he answers email. Cleaned a weaver 3x9 for me and I bought a Denver redfield from him. +1

Boolit Master

Does he do lens recoating? I'd love to have some older scopes with modern lense coating.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for L&K

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Seagiant

Did Larry repair your binoculars? (Who did?). I have an old pair of German military that needs repair.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
    Seagiant

Did Larry repair your binoculars? (Who did?). I have an old pair of German military that needs repair.
    Hi,
    I hang out on a bird watchers site,(good place for bino info) and found these people who did a good job for me and is highly reccommended by other members! http://suddarthoptical.com/
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.