RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ed Brown .45 AP barrels

Moderator Emeritus

Ed Brown .45 AP barrels

I noticed that Ed Brown's barrels for the 1911 are advertised as having deeper rifling than most std. barrels. This should be a tad better for lead, I'd think. But, has anyone who's used them got any info on whether they hold the rifling with cast any better than std. stock-type barrels? The reason I ask is that I'd really like to use some softer alloys if I get a HP mould, which I'm thinking hard on doing for it (Lyman Devastator).

Any experience/insight you have is appreciated. I've never had any trouble getting cast to shoot in my 1911's, but who among us isn't always looking for something better, or some slight edge?

Boolit Master
    I don't know exactly what "standard barrel rifling" is but; I have two 1911's, both Ed Browns and they have both been phenominal with cast. Bbls are shiny & beautiful assuming you're using compatable alloys for the intended speeds & pressures.

Both Browns love the NOE 230gr RN's & Mihec's 200gr SWC's; both of which have been very accurate. Never had a feed issue either.

Hope this helps....
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Kart barrels also work very well with cast. The Bar-Sto barrel I have seems to do better with j-words.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any experience/insight you have is appreciated. I've never had any trouble getting cast to shoot in my 1911's, but who among us isn't always looking for something better, or some slight edge?
    If it makes you feel more confident, go for it. I have never personally had any problems with cast in the .45 ACP, except for a bit of leading when I was still using the commercial "hardcast" with crayon lube.

One of my friends did manage to split a commander length comped barrel. I do not remember where it was from for sure, but it wasn't an Ed Brown.

Robert

Boolit Master

Over the years i have installed several of my 1911s with aftermarket match barrels ! 2- Kart , 2- Clark, 2- Nowlin, and a Heine , all shoot cast with no problems of any kind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Kart barrels also work very well with cast. The Bar-Sto barrel I have seems to do better with j-words.
    Shot Bullseye years ago. State champ said Kart for lead Barsto for copper

Boolit Master

I am sure they are very good barrels and you will not be dissapointed with them.

BUT.

I have owned at least two dozen 1911 .45s over the past 50 years. They all had "regular" barrels and they all shot BNH 8 to 9 bullets just fine.

If there is an edge to be had it is not from deeper rifling griping the soft bullet better.

Try what you have before you spend $185 just to try it out.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford