Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Mauser rear sight

Boolit Mold

Mauser rear sight

I was ordering from Gun Parts and they had some Williams rear aperature sights listed as specials for $6.95. They fit some obscure Ithaca 22. Well for that price I ordered a couple of them just to check them out. They are designed to mount on the left side of a flat reciever with 2 screws.
    I wanted a reciever sight on my Mausers without drilling and tapping and have been looking a long time at the ejector/bolt release and figured I ought to be able to do something with it. I ground the raised finger projection off the top so it was flat from the pivot piont forward. Then I silver soldered a mounting plate vertically to the back edge and just screwed the sight to the thin plate. I had to grind the screw head to match the contour of the reciever. The sight pivots with the bolt release body and seems to return to the same place when released. I am sure it is not the perfect setup due to some play in the system, but is probably as accurate as I need it to be for hunting and plinking. The advantages are that I can move it to any of my Mausers, and the bolt release body is a cheap easily replaced itim. I probably should have ordered some more of those sights.
    I will try to get a picture taken and posted if anybody is interested.
    Ken

I wonder on how many different models of Mauser this would work? I"d really like to see a photo!
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Mold
    Sorry, the pictures didn't turn out, I'll try again and see if I can get them a little more clear. I tried the bolt release/ site assembly from the 48A on my Mexican small ring and on the 98/44 and it works on both of them. I did have to take the rear scope base off in order to get it to clear. I am working on mounting the same kind of sight to an old Weaver style scope ring to have a quick change rear sight to fit on a Weaver style scope base. The problem so far is that it mounts on the same bore axis as the scope and I would have to have a front sight that is VERY tall. I have tried mounting the aperature on the underside of the elevation arm and it works and is well protected, but looks a little too strange to me. I might be able to get used to it.
    Ken

I've got a '95 Chilean Carbine that needs better sights if I'm going to shoot it well.

By better I mean something these Senior Citizen eyeballs can focus with, and that probably means a receiver sight.
    Regards,

WE

Banner Sponsor

Yes, some pics would be interesting to look at.

Boolit Mold

OK I am trying this picture thing. I hope it works, if not I'll try again.
    Ken

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Ken,,,the actual url of the pic is below the pic,,example:http://www.hunt101.com/img/267161.JPG
    The address you copied had your account # embedded within,thats why it wouldn't work...
    Now with just the pic url as above we have,,,

Ken
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Ken,
    I'll try to get some better pictures now that I can make this whole picture thing work. I wish I had a better camera now that I can get some better close ups without them being out of focus.
    Ken

350 Mag
    That is a great idea.Like to see more pics. Just might be the ticket for 1/2 century eyes.Like the idea of getting extra bolt release to keep orgional orgional Thanks
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Mold

Ok Here is another not so good picture.
    I was planning on getting a spare bolt stop too. You do need to pay attention to how far back you mount the sight on the bolt release since the aperature will interfere with the bolt lift if it is to far back. i think they might make aperatures with different length shanks so you might be able to make corrections if needed.
    Ken

I like the looks of that system!

Now need to see if I can find an extra bolt release, and aperture sight to fit.
    Regards,

WE

Super Moderator

...........Pretty neat makee-do. I LIKE that kinda stuff. Now some Swede-o-phile with an all matching M96, or M38 who wants apurture sights need only get a spare ejectorbox-bolt stop and do the deed

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance