Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry 45-70 review

Boolit Master

Henry 45-70 review

Finally had a chance to mess with our new Henry and thought I would offer a little review. Out of the box the rifle looks really good. Metal is finished in a matt black and looks good for a woods gun. The wood to metal fit would rate 9 out of 10. Rifle comes with a hefty black recoil pad and studs for sling swivels are installed. The only thing I would change is the stock ghost sight. IMO it is a little to big but it should work out well for what this rifle is intended for and that is short range hunting.

Love the tube feed. Loaded up 4 dummy rounds that are 2.5 inches long and all would feed and eject perfectly. When I get some free time plan on trying longer rounds to see how they function. Trigger is almost creep free and best guess is it breaks at 5.5 pounds. Action is noticeably smoother than any Marlin 45-70's I've handled. Henry even includes a DVD on how to take apart and reassemble the rifle although I have not watched it yet. Am sure it will shoot to my expectations as soon as I can get it to the range.

Closing comments: This is my first Henry but I can promise you it will not be the last. Cost was $725 delivered. This rifle was a huge step up in quality over the newly manufactured Marlins I handled over the last 10 days.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 04-09-2014 at 12:46 PM.
    East Tennessee

First, congrats on the new rifle. If it's anything like my Big Boy 44 it is a shooter for sure. Second, I wonder when they started shipping them with a DVD? I bought my BB in September of last year and mine didn't come with one. In fact, I had not heard of a DVD until now. I'm curious what's on it?
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne

Boolit Master
    If I ever watch the DVD I'll post what it contains. Just found out XS makes two smaller apertures for the sight for $12 each so bought them both to try.
    East Tennessee

Anxiously awaiting range report
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Buddy
    Myself as well. Am looking for a woods pig gun.

I enjoy paper patching the 45-70. Just don't have one right now.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master
    I have had one of these rifles for awhile.

I like the Ghost Ring quick and accurate with a good cheek wield but sights are personal thing right?

I agree with all the comments you made now some hard truths about my rifle. I shot some heavy cast loads Marlin load data the magazine tube kept pulling out. so I started to look at the attachment method used and here what found out; the mag tube is held by pressure from the front barrel band and a screw with tab on the action. the tube would jump that tab and the barrel band was not holding tight enough. further investigation I also found the front sight flopping from side to side it was loose it is part of the front barrel band. should have suspected this as the groups I shot were terrible. well the front sight was easy the screw holding it was too long for the threaded hole. Filed a little off little blue locktite and wella sight fixed. I made new screw for the tube retention and that fixed that issue.

the annoying issues fixed back to the range. I loaded some 350 GC FP over a dose of Unique for a 1400 FPS load over the chronograph. The rifle punched a nice 1.75" hole at 50 yards with the factory sights. This load is allot of fun and very accurate and easy on the shooter and gun.

the gun is a little finicky on the feeding the Gould HP 322 grain PB cast but I may have had them loaded a little long. They really hammered the milk jugs at 75 yards off hand shooting.

Well I was a little disappointed with the issues I had but of the four rifles from Henry I own this was the first one that gave me fits and it is all resolved now. Handi, accurate , reliable pleasing to the eye and good features make this another real,practical rifle for target shooting and hunting anything in North America.

Boolit Master
    I also read the bore on these rifles are undersized and measure .456 which helps create a lot of copper fouling with jacketed bullets.

What are you sizing your cast bullets at?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    mine slugged right at .458 that is what I am sizing at no real lead build up but gas check and pretty low velocities.

Boolit Bub

My Henry 45-70 order should arrive tomorrow. I've already prepped with some Hornady 325 FTX and Reloader 7 for starting ammo and have ordered a lyman 405gr mold.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saphelps View Post
    My Henry 45-70 order should arrive tomorrow. I've already prepped with some Hornady 325 FTX and Reloader 7 for starting ammo and have ordered a lyman 405gr mold.
    Noticed you live in Fountain, same for me. I visit the Frontier range as often as possible.
    I ended up mounting a Leupold 1.5x5 scope on my Henry. Since all the hunting on our property in Tennessee is limited to 75 yards that is the farthest I have shot the rifle but it will keep everything inside an inch at this distance. Haven't tried cast yet as I have a huge supply of jacketed bullets from a previous rifle to use up first.

You are going to love the rifle.
    East Tennessee

Perma-Banned

I have looked at these myself for a while now. They really look like nice guns.

DVD is a great idea. Probably cheaper than a manual anymore. I have a Henry 22 mag and wanted to install a receiver sight on it. Already had one for a Winchester Marlin so did not want to buy the one for a grooved receiver. I had to go on the internet to see how to disassemble the thing to drill the receiver. The 22 mag is not a bad rifle either.

DP

That is a great mini-review, thank you snowwolfe. I am considering buying the Henry as all of the new Remlin Guide Guns I have handled are **** compared to the pre-Remington JM's.

Now that the H010 has been around for a couple of years, does anyone know how they are standing up to lots of use and digestion of heavy cast boolit loads.

As I am seriously considering buying one of these, thanks in advance to any and all who care to share their feedback and opinions.
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Boolit Master
    If I were to buy a new lever big game rifle anytime soon._ No doubt it would be a Henry 45-70. Don't own a 45-70 anything so it would be new entertainment.

I have had one that suffered the same mag failures. Henry customer service and Antony Imperato had been great giving me assistance and spares for fixing it but the mag was still failing in the slot pin cut. Cause I leave on the wrong side of the pond and having is serviced was too expensive and time consuming I finelly gived it back. As I know in the new production the one piece barrell band-front aim-mag holder has been changed to differenciate two sets: upper barrell aiming doweled set and under barrel mag hanger doweled set. This should probably have solved all issues I experimented. I bought a new Marlin SBL SS in place and since now ad no troubles at all: else if probably general finishing was better looking on Henry. But I don't buy guns for the shape but for functionality
    Ps: yes they are somehow undebored, mine was neraly 457,8 slugged if I remember well and this is fine if You are shooting boolits dropped from a costive mould, isn't it?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    I have looked at these myself for a while now. They really look like nice guns.
    Indeed they are! I have shot a couple and my only issue was with the weight of these fine rifles! The one I fired was the brass-receiver model (H010B) with an accessory large loop. Not only does it shoot superbly with butter-smooth action, but it looks super-cool as well! However, it tips the scales at over eight pounds. I understand Henry has identical rifle with a steel-receiver model which weighs more than a pound less. Just a consideration for you, John Allen, albeit I'm sure that extra pound may not be that significant to many.

I've been kicking around finding a Marlin '95 Cowboy for a few months now but my heart just hasn't been in it. It was my understanding that Henry was bringing out a Brass receiver 45-70 but I forgot about it until I read this thread, now the hunt will begin in earnest I suppose. I've got a brass Henry 30-30 and love the gun, I wouldn't expect anything less from their 45-70.

I looked at a brass frame .45-70 Henry the other day and looks to me like they are using Marlin parts except for the lack of the loading gate.
    Lever, bolt are Marlin from the looks to me.

Just got mine back from Henry. I had the tube failure. They fixed the tube changed the sites back to the buck horn. I love my Henry, and it handles the recoil better than my Rossi did.
    Plus made in America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast