Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the 310gr Lee 44 mold?

Boolit Master

Anyone use the 310gr Lee 44 mold?

Haven't played with heavy bullets in my Super Blackhawk in nearly 10 years, but with all the 454 shooting I have been doing, I have the itch. Money not growing on trees and all, I have been looking at the Lee, so I am inviting opinions. It reminds me of the 315s I used to get from the Bullshop in AK, if it is half as good a bullet, it would be excellent.

Boolit Master
    It's a good design, and lots of shooter use it, I am not a fan of the tiny, shallow crimp groove, but thats about my only complaint.

I use it, almost exclusively in my 44.... It just works... I have no problems with the lube groves, and no gripes or complaints whatsoever... It is a great boolit, and one of the members here had a hand in its design... If you get it, you wont be sorry.... My absolute favorite boolit for the 44, and there are lots of folks around this board that will back me up on this one.... Very accurate.

Get the mold... You wont be sorry.

AG

Vendor Sponsor

That is a VERY popular .44 boolit around these parts. I use it exclusively in my SBH, and also use it's big brother in .45 Colt.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, going to need to lay in some gas checks too.

Boolit Master
    My issue with the crimp groove was boolit pull in my .44 mag S&W Mountain gun when velocity got up around 1,200 fps. from the 4" barrel. In a heavier gun, it might not be an issue. It was great in my Contender, close to 1/2" groups at 50 yds.

Boolit Master
    I will be shooting them in a 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    I will be shooting them in a 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk.
    Should be a great boolit for that gun. Mine barely squeaks out .431", but that is a good size for many .44 mags. My older 6" 629 has fatter throats at .433", but it still shot well with this boolit. Mine also cast at 315 grains out of straight WW with a bit of tin added. Have fun.

Boolit Master
    The throats in my Super Blackhawk are right at .430, and that is what I size to.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    I use it, almost exclusively in my 44.... It just works... I have no problems with the lube groves, and no gripes or complaints whatsoever... It is a great boolit, and one of the members here had a hand in its design... If you get it, you wont be sorry.... My absolute favorite boolit for the 44, and there are lots of folks around this board that will back me up on this one.... Very accurate.

Get the mold... You wont be sorry.

AG
    That member was Dale53. I too would like a deeper crimp groove, but with good case tension, I've never had any boolit movement in recoil.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I have it as well, the only 44 mold I have too. I like it but haven't found a load I like yet. Mine drop right around 430-431 so they don't need much sizing. The first batch weighed out around 306-307 with WDWW's and a little range scrap. The AL molds will warm up fast which is nice. I've also had no issues with using the mold as some report with Lee molds. IMO, one of the best values in molds of any size out there.

Boolit Master
    I've cast & sized a bunch but haven't loaded them yet, I made three batches, water-dropped. Straight COWW, 75/25 COWW/Lyman 2, and 50/50 COWW/Lyman 2. Yet to be seen how they do but I will report on them. They will be tested in my Handi, a 7.5" SBH, and my 4" M29.

Boolit Master

Lee C429-310 is the most accurate boolit or bullet I ever shot out of a SRH at 50 yards.

Mine was 1 or2 cavity mold but I sure do like the production rate of the six-banger molds, just do not have one for that boolit.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I have been looking at this one and Miha's GC 44 mold.

Banned

The Lee boolit is a super one. Just use case tension with a moderate crimp in the little groove. I water drop WW metal. Had 5 left, shot 3 deer and had 2 left in the gun. The strange thing was that I did not know they were Lee boolits, I thought they were my 330 gr, never looked. They hit the same POI and dropped deer FAST. Only when I emptied the gun did I see I had the Lee. Yeah, ammo box was almost empty, took what was there.
    Watch the 29, might be too much recoil for the gun.

Boolit Master

Me and a lot of other guys use the 310 gr Lee in our 444 Marlin leverguns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    Thanks, going to need to lay in some gas checks too.
    I have that design with the gas check shank milled off and it makes a wonderful 270g PB boolit for the .44 mag. No need for the gas checks either!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I have that design with the gas check shank milled off and it makes a wonderful 270g PB boolit for the .44 mag. No need for the gas checks either!

Shuz, I milled mine too, but mine ended up at 290 gr. I haven't shot any yet, it's good to hear you had good results with yours.

Boolit Buddy
    its a fantastic bullet that use alot in one contary gun that likes hard alloy and gaschecks to really shoot. i dont shove it very hard in that gun maybe 1150fps but it goes where its pointed

Boolit Mold
    Mr. 44man, could you tell me your powder and amount of same, from your 330 load. I'm looking to stack N.E.O. (three)110 gr. wadcutters. Home defense loads. Using Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag.