RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need .40 S&W RIFLE data

Boolit Buddy

Need .40 S&W RIFLE data

I have a Ruger carbine in .40S&W (.40 Auto) and the only rifle data I have is from the Lyman manual. Lyman's data however could be best described as anemic, with maximum loads equaling the starting loads of other publishers like Speer and Hornady. Does anyone else besides Lyman publish RIFLE data?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

I would suggest that the only difference in "Rifle" data and "Pistol" data is in the velocity (higher in the rifle). Use the pistol data available to you from most any up-to-date manual. If you have access to a chronograph, then you can "fill in the blanks" with your own data.

Dale53

Super Moderator

..................If that rifle is a blow back action you won't be able to hot rod the cartridge too far. Most your velocity gain will be barrel length. If it's a locked breech, I'll bet it was designed with factory ammo in mind. So again any intrepid reloading will be limited.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

The PC4 is a direct blow-back action carbine designed for pistol cartridges. If you firewall your loads, you will hammer the gun to oblivion. Stick to the "accuracy" loadings for the .40 for the most joy.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master
    Hmmm, where have I been? Wasn't even aware there were .40 S&W's rifle's.

Has anyone made Revolvers for it yet? That's what I keep hoping Ruger will come up with one day soon.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Dang. You are out of it.

A buddy of mine has a brace of Vaquero Convertibles in 38-40/.40 S&W. Has had 'em for a few years now.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master
    Man, guess I have been. Thanks.

My favorite handguns too!
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Grand Master

For those who are interested, here is a good read on the 10mm Auto in a revolver. I know that it is not a .40 S&W but I guess we could call it the .40 Big and Strong.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-610.htm

Dale53

Boolit Master

Supermag is right about "hammer time" your gun to heck.. If thats what your using is a PC4....Cool little carbine.. Check out a nice powder i used a lot of for the .40 cal WSF, nice velocity with lower pressures.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMag View Post
    Dang. You are out of it.

A buddy of mine has a brace of Vaquero Convertibles in 38-40/.40 S&W. Has had 'em for a few years now.
    Those were a special deal that one of the big distributors had made up a number of years ago. Ruger never cataloged it, as far as I know. When they were gone there were no more.

Was it Lew Horton??
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Those were a special deal that one of the big distributors had made up a number of years ago... Was it Lew Horton??
    My Buddy's a (hobby) dealer, so if that's indeed the case, it was probably Davidson's.