WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR1911 No Cast Bullets

Boolit Mold

Ruger SR1911 No Cast Bullets

Been shooting more years than I care to admit and reloading for the past fifteen but I've run into a problem that I've never had before. Just got a new Ruger SR1911 and besides the front sight breaking off twice my 230gn lead round nose will not go into battery. Been casting these for years and all ways worked fine in the other six 45s I have. Now not all of the rounds will not work about 50/50. When clearing a round that has not gone to battery there's aring around the bullet where it stuck before it could chamber had some pull the bullet out of the case trying to eject it. Now a little back ground on the reloading before I get all the blame but it could be me. All the bullets are cast from WW all are sized to .045 all are checked with a Wilson case gage and loaded on a Dillon 550. I sure would like some help from all you reloaders that are smarter than me. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Your length is too long. What's the OAL? Sounds like you need to do a plunk test, as your rounds are hitting the rifling, causing the ring, and failure to go into battery.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Master

sized to 45 WHAT? 450, 451,452,453,454,459???
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

OAL, it is ALWAYS gun & bullet specific. My XDTAC has a short min spec chamber. If I load to the longest OAL that fits my 1911s, it is too long for my XDTAC. Bullets & OAL, rarely plug & play. FWIW, a case gage is almost a useless test. There is no rifling in a generic case gage, so it only tells you if the case is sized & crimped properly or if the bullet/case config is too large to fit. OAL, you have to check that in EACH CHAMBER OF EACH GUN, there is no short cut here.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

If it shoots factory ball ammo ok, buy a .45 auto throating reamer from Brownell's and fix it like your other six so you can shoot the same ammo in all of them. Better yet, throat ALL of them to exactly the same depth/profile and build the ideal ammo for all of them.

Gear

Boolit Master

Shorten the OAL on a dummy round until it fits into the chamber with the base of the case just below the hood on the barrel. Of course the barrel needs to be out of the pistol. Ka-Plunk
    Dummy round shold fall out of chamber when barrel is turned up side down.

Boolit Mold
    Yes they shoot factory rounds ok sorry about the sizing sanfu I do size them to .452 I have all so change the OAL I usally run the OAL at 1.250 I have gone down to 1.230 which leads to another thing Hodgdon says 1.200 all the other specs. calls for around 1.250

Boolit Grand Master

I had to run mine down to OAL of 1.215 to plunk in my Sig. Shorten your OAL or ream as gear suggested.

Banned

Most 45's are coming with a throat made for jacketed. Do as Gear says. It works.

Love Life
    If that OAL spooks you, never load the Lee RN bullet... As has been said, seat deeper or do as Geargnasher says.

Boolit Master

What good is the book OAL if they don't run in your pistol ? Your beat case gauge is your own barrel.
    Take the barrel out and seat a dummy out long, remove a tad of the case mouth flare so it will go into the barrel, continue to adjust the seating dept till the round seats with the back of the case .003 shy of the barrel hood, DONE.
    If your sticking rounds so bad causing the head to separate itself from the case when extracting your just loading them to long, Ain't nothing wrong with the pistol, you just have a short and maybe to sharp of a lead.
    Welcome to the forum and hope you stick around.

GW
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

Check the crimp. My guess is you need more taper crimp.

Crimp may also be playing a role in the issue, but if the bullets are getting a ring around the nose it is from too long an OAL.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Check the crimp. My guess is you need more taper crimp.
    Same here. This was my issue. No matter how deep I seated the bullet it still wouldn't chamber properly. Crimped to .472 and all the problems went away.

Love Life
    I crimp at .470.

Boolit Master

Solve one problem at a time, establish the correct OAL first, ring around the bullet is just wrong.
    Then get the correct crimp, .470 should be in the ball park.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

Read this. This is how they need to be set up. Most barrels are being short throated now.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...1911-Throating

Banned

Just a refresher because it looks like some of you didn't read the OP: He has SIX OTHER .45s that all shoot the same load no problem, his ammo checks with a case gauge, so the way I read it the RUGER is the problem. If it shoots J-word factory ammo ok, there's no problem with the gun as far as Ruger is concerned, so he is left with the following options to either 1). Adjust seating depth and/or sizing diameter to the Ruger (which may cause problems with his longest-throated/sloppiest chamber in the other guns) 2.) Load and segregate special ammo for the new stepchild or 3.) Fix the damn Ruger and be done with it without risking screwing up a formula that is working for him six out of six guns (a feat in itself most of the time to do that).

As a bonus, if properly and carefully done, the throating reamer can be used in all the guns and the seating depth optimized for all of them perfectly. Just don't forget to consider the magazine length for ALL guns when so doing.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

OAL is defined by your gun's chamber/throat. If you are sticking boolits,
    the OAL is too long. So, as the ammunition manufacturer -- FIX IT.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

I've read reviews of the SR1911 and there seems to be spotty issues with tight chambers and the angle of the chamfer.

Gear has the correct answer...If you aren't comfortable with that...a call to Ruger about returning the gun, if you want to risk what they may do to it. If that's the route you go, be sure to include samples of dummy rounds with your boolits...and even then, Ruger may or may not do what you need to have done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001