Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: 209 question

In Remembrance

209 question

Does anybody use 209 primers on traditional muzzle loaders.
    The reason I ask, is 209's have been on the shelf here nearly all through the shortage, and are less than 1/2 the price of #11 caps.

Perm-Banned
    yes. i have several taditional and non traditional sidelocks and my son has a custom inline. they all have 209 primer ignition. most have magspark nipples and 2 have pedersoli 209 primer conversion nipples. i prefer the magspark nipple. less maintainence. this nipple type was first invented when the first shot shell was invented. accushot was sold for a while a while back that used rifle magnum primers and when they stopped selling them magspark begin. the only thing that seems sane in the gun world is the availability and still good prices of shot gun 209 primers. i bought 300 to day and want to keep buying them incase they go nuts like the rest of it. i used real black for a long time with them very well but have recently switched to blackhorn 209 powder. up where your from you want your gun to go off every time as your life may depend upon it and it will go off with 209 primers. when you clean your gun when your done with it as you would with trditional primers. snap a couple to clean the breech of oil or moisture. then with a dry patch or two wipe the barrel clean of primer soot. pedersoli oly makes their 209 nipple in 1/4 28 american. magspark makes theirs in american and all the foriegn thread sizes. good luck

In Remembrance
    I was curious, both of mine fires fine with #11's, and I have a few thousand, but I have seen it go over 6 months at a time there were none available here too. The last # 11's I have bought were 7.99 a hundred, and shotgun primers are 29 bucks a thousand. I have a scout, that I'm sure there is no conversion though, so between it and my pietta 44 the caps wouldn't go to waste.

Boolit Grand Master

The Mag-Spark http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html are working well for me. I didn't have an issues with my sidelocks using caps other than cost.

I am a firm believer in the 209 ignition in my sidelocks. thing I like a bunch is that the 209's are completely contained in the cup with the cover and pin screwed onto the base. there is never any fouling blown back into the action or down beside the stock or burning the wood. the complete containment also ensures that ALL the fire goes into the barrel and not out in the air. I never worry about the oil as I run my rod with a swab on it fairly fast in and out after oiling with the base portion still out ... it blows the residue out and then when I load the first shot they never fail to ignite. they just work. also they are available ... AND ... on the cheap side for regular shotgun 209's. I have a bunch of the CCI 209's and they work every time.

Boolit Grand Master
    starmac,
    They all work when you can get 'em. Some better than others. It would be prudent to have the capacity to use whatever you can get. I'd work up a solution to be in a position to use 'em all.

Indeed !!!

Boolit Master
    Curious. Is it advisable to purchase additional Screw Caps at the same time when purchasing new 209 nipples?
    I heard long ago that's their most problematic thing. The dropping of or the loss of its Cap while in the field. BTW Is that Screw Caps little firing pin held in place? thanks,

In Remembrance
    Thanks for the info and the link. I have a question about the screw caps. The name implies they screw on to the nipple, is that correct?

Boolit Grand Master

No they replace the nipple and a cap will a firing pin goes on top of the 209 holder.

I have several of the accra shot adapters from the 1980's. They work great, but I definitely advise buying an extra top and keeping it in your possibles bag. They are small and easy to lose.

Boolit Master
    I was at the target shop 2 hours north of here , great place but i have to have other business in the area , got shot gun primers as low as 24.99 a K these were noble sport of Italy , so I bought some any 209 gun wull be set off with basically any 209 primer , some are made weaker for muzzle loading to to make some happy but I can't tell the difference in my 209 gun

I got the last tin of #11 they had also those were 4 something I would have taken a k at that price locally they are 6.95

not muzzle loading but I also scored a 8# jug of H4895 , they said their shipment came in in the night and had i stopped in Friday when I was going up I would have had no powder but I was running late going north but i caught them Saturday morning on the south run