Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got my first coyote yesterday morning.

Boolit Bub

got my first coyote yesterday morning.

seen this one pushin four deer thru the woods, just after daybreak. He tried to get out of range, but wasnt quick enough and took him a lil over 100yds trottin, with a Savage BVSS 22-250.

Congrats! I love shootin them ********.

Boolit Buddy

Very nice. Love that savage. We are stupid as our season goes out the 15th or march. Can still shoot em if they are after livestock or with written permission.Makes 0 sense to me. Nice shot. I love shooting them as well.

Boolit Bub
    thanks CB... we have em open all yr here.. just the regs change when other seasons are open or closed... this time of yr you can only shoot them in open fields.. I love my Sightron scope.. 10-50X60....they are sweet.

We can shoot them all year long, just can't run the dogs during deer and bear seasons. It's nice to be able to hunt them 24/7/365

Boolit Master

Shoot all the mangy varmits! I hate those dang things. They kill everything they can take down.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting! I shot my first coyote during our last firearm deer season. Came in to munch on a gut pile, and I got it with a 12 ga slug at 50 yds.

Boolit Bub
    wow nice shot and good looking gun

Boolit Grand Master

No closed season, no limits and paid bounties here. You're allowed to hunt them at night as well unlike everything else. I hear them all the time but haven't seen one in a few years.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    He's got a Miserable Smile! Good shooting!
    Here in NEPA they come right into the suburbs! between Fox & Coyote we have lost a lot of little 4 legged friends in the past 2 years.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy

I agree with all the foregoing sentiments for sure. That one's a good coyote now.

WA State, no closures on coyote huntin (amazingly, given the politics of everything else here).

Boolit Master

Coyotes are kinda like elected democrats,
    they destroy everything they come in contact with.

Good job.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    That coyote looks to be well fed. I am glad you were able to keep him from eating any more deer. Where did your shot hit? And did it exit?

Boolit Master
    Shot my first when I was seven years old, 59 years ago and have shot untold numbers of them since. Besides 14 years shooting them for the USFWS (U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service) I've shot them on my own pretty steady for the last 40 years. Here in eastern Montana there are lots of them but it's getting harder to hunt them. Too many ranchers catering to outfitters and guides and too many people who don't know what they're doing out there educating the yodel dogs. It's still fun to go out and call them but it's more frustrating than it used to be. Almost any sensible caliber and gun will work. I use both rifles and pistols. It's hard to beat any .22 centerfire with a 52 gr. HP Speer in a rifle and the T/C Contender adds some challenge and fun to it also. The .223 and .22 Hornet work well in Contenders, Speer 50 gr. TNT's in the .223 Contender and Hornady 40 gr. V-Max in .22 Hornet Contender. A cast .44 magnum is sort of short range and doesn't usually put them down quickly but saves damage to fur. In Montana coyotes can be hunted any time...no season on them.

Boolit Master

nasty looking critter,ain't he?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Perm-Banned
    your coyote doesnt look bushy and with a lot of fur. must be a lot warmer their. can you still get the 80 dollars their for the fur? hide in a good spot and use a destressed im dying rabbit call. it will bring them in, the young ones are the dumbest. will also bring in wild dogs, bobcats, fox, hawks and eagles. some time courious deer and antelope will come in on the dying rabbit call. you will never wipe them out, even shot some mixed with a blue healer. those were a slinky sneaky bunch. a month ago a 12 year old girl got killed and partially eaten by a pack of feral wild dogs 25 miles north of me. the next day the tribal police killed a large horse trailer full of them. used that call once on a heard of antelope, about 60 of them. the bucks put the does in the center of a circle and the bucks circled the does ready to fight what ever killed that rabbit. after a while they all took off at 60 miles an hour. also you might bring in a mountain lion. then you will have to decide what to do. cant say if bears come to that call. the ones with the deep crease down the middle of it head are the males. also note if a black bear is set on comming in on you you cant scare them in turnings you can a grizzly. if he is comming in on you shoot. mountain lion are never ever scared of you no matter how much you yell. they only leave because they want to. that 22/250 is the creme de le creme of the varmint guns. that savage out of the box will give a one hole groups at 100 yards and hit anything you want at any range right now. keep us posted as to how you keep doing.

In Remembrance
    Bears will come to a predator call too, both black and Grizz.

MY! WHAT BIG WHITE DEER-EATING TEETH YOU HAVE! Yeah, those little brush wolves are just that, brush wolves. I've seen them take out the neighbor's newborn sheep and calves back when I was farming in Southern California.

Back about 50 years ago when I was in high school in Camarillo, California, one of the farmers had an Irish setter that did his own coyote "control". That Irish setter bred with all the coyote females in Long Valley between Hitch Boulevard and Somis Road and all the pink hybrid coyote pups were dumber than rocks, making them easy to shoot. Most of the farmers carried rifles in the rear windows of their pickup trucks and shot coyotes on sight. I lived there until 2008 and the pink coloration was just about all faded from the local coyote gene pool when I left. So between the pink coyotes being stupid and one farmer in particular, Bud "C", who was death on coyotes because he didn't want the 4-H kids to lose their project lambs, my neck of the woods was almost coyote free.

One time in about 1982 I bought a pre-Ranch Rifle Ruger Mini-14 in stainless steel that I had the Ruger factory accurize, they did it for free when they saw the target I sent in. I shot one of the Irish setter's great-grand coyote offspring through the lungs and shoulder from maybe fifty feet, and after it got done rolling around on the ground snapping and biting at the air, it didn't die but ran off full speed. A week later my neighbor told me she found it 1/4 mile away down at her mailbox. I always figured you need a .30-06 with 125 grain hollow points to get an anchoring Texas heart shot on a coyote, or you just won't ever see the animal again! They are tough critters. Around here in Alamogordo, New Mexico, the local coyote population was wiped out by parvo virus about 8 years ago and they are just recovering from it. In the meantime we had a rabbit and squirrel population explosion.

rl 1,226
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master

Georgia has an open season on these critters. I shot one a few years ago and man did that thing stink! Don't know what he had been into. Oh, his fur had a reddish tint to it. He almost matched our Georgia red clay soil.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Yeah someone suggested a closed season here also, once.