RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first batch--Tin foil is for hats not for PC boolits

Boolit Bub

My first batch--Tin foil is for hats not for PC boolits

My first batch came out OK. I have some application improvements to make but overall it was fine.

I built a tray with holes to hold the bullets nose down. I covered the tray with foil as I didn't want a huge build up of PC material on my tray. The theory was good but execution bad, as when I went to take the bullets OFF the tray, the foil stuck to the PC'd area of the boolits (I coated them on the foil as well) and bits of the foil stuck to the bullet coating.

How to fix this? I don't want to end up with all the bullets stuck to a puddle of PC on my toaster oven tray, I don't want foil stuck to my bullets and I don't want to move the bullets once they've been coated . I suppose I could spray some PAM or something on the foil before I put the powder coat on it... but is there a better way?

John

Is it the nonstick foil? Was it the right side of the foil? Those are the first two questions.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

Nope...was not nonstick. I didn't know there was such a thing (you can tell I don't spend a lot of time in the supermarket).

Is that the best solution? I've seen the nails in the boards idea...good, but seems to require a very VERY steady hand.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Get the nonstick foil problem solved and the nails are glued down and for HPs for me the only way to go. My last nail rack I made I used alum plate and sheet rock nails placed them in the pattern I wanted then sprayed them. After coating the plate I baked the PC holds the nails in place and nothing between nail heads and alum to mess with the current flow. Oh and the more you use it the more PC build up holds them in place.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Bub
    I cut 4 aluminum plates the size of my oven racks then out marked out a grid pattern of 1"squares. Drilled them and used 3/4" sheet metal screws. They work great for HP spraying and I use the other side for solids. Just cover with SN foil, flatten with your hand and set the boolits on the screw heads and spray away.

Boolit Grand Master

At first I poo-pooed the idea of "non-stick aluminum foil" being the way to go for easy removal of cooked/coated bullets. Why would the $4.00+ alum. foil work better than the bargain $1.98 stuff? Well, it does!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman View Post
    Nope...was not nonstick. I didn't know there was such a thing (you can tell I don't spend a lot of time in the supermarket).

Is that the best solution? I've seen the nails in the boards idea...good, but seems to require a very VERY steady hand.
    Nowhere near as bad as you would guess unless you are going smaller than 9mm. The nailhead guides your fingers and your hand is somewhat steadied by contact with the table or fixture. Much easier and more effective placement (for me at least) than the tinfoil method, which is what I started with. The key to success using the nailheads is to use heads that are a smaller diameter than the projectile. Placing is easier for me on the fixtures than foil. The raised surface has better wrist ergonomics and the nail heads act as guides for the fingers. The spray is *very* easy to concentrate where you want it too since flow carries freely near the base.

Non-stick is *night and day* compared to regular aluminum foil though.

Boolit Bub

Good advice. I'm somewhat surprised the wood doesn't burst into flame at some point. I understand that it's there to provide strength and hold the aluminum in contact with the nails.

I guess I never heard of non-stick Al foil. Time for a trip to the grocery store, then to make a nail/screw stand. Thank you for the suggestions. This seems the one tricky part of this process so far. The powder coating process is simple and fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes, Virginia, there is Non-Stick Foil!

Get some. you will be amazed. Worth the $$ difference. Once the wife found about it, that is all we have in the kitchen now. Cheap is not always good!

And do NOT use anything like PAM or grease on what you are setting your boolits on! Heat will cause the stuff to wick up into the powder and keep it from curing and sticking. I already tried this as have others with ZERO success.

Just read the foil.......one side says it is the non-stick side!

Good luck.

banger

Bangerjim you would think reading the foil would be easy, some people, like myself, assume the stuff is nonstick on both sides! Now every time I go to use foil, I read the box. I don't even have nonstick foil in the house and I read the box every time hoping it changed! So, I always ask the sometimes overlooked. Hopefully better results have come with new foil!
    Using Tapatalk

May Liberty Increase!
    I did the same thing last night. I knew about the non-stick foil, but didn't have any. What a mess! I was convinced while pulling the foil off the bases of the bullets one at a time.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Bub

They almost make nifty self installing gas checks!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I was convinced while pulling the foil off the bases of the bullets one at a time.
    i feel your pain. i also tried the pam spray and those will all be melted back down. non stick foil is the only way to go.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing I tried on regular foil was a spray of dry graphite lube, rattle can by CAT. Spray on, let dry, place and cook bullets, no stick. I don't really want to use up my limited supply of Caterpillar dry lube, so non-stick is my go to...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    ive got a can of that graphite spray. i use it a lot more than i thought i would on different stuff. ill try it for this tonight. i need some non stick foil just aint made it to the store yet.

Boolit Master
    Kinda glad I held off buying the powder sprayer. They make a good coating
    but seem to add complexity to the process.

I use the tray that came with the $10 thrift store oven (it's not even flat but
    works fine). Dry tumble boolits, pick 'em up with hemostats (or pliers),
    place base-down on nonstick foil. After baking I run my hand across the
    boolit noses & they pop loose easily from the foil.
    Bases don't NEED to be coated but this method coats the entire surface
    including base, even inside the HPs.
    Cheap & effective is what I like.

OK, mostly Cheap!

Boolit Grand Master
    But you will find Soooooooooooo many other things around the shop and home and garden that need a tough non-chip, non-peel coating...... that you just MUST have an ESPC gun!!!!!!!

I spray everything in site that fits in my oven! Including boolits with matte black!

I got tired of the annual ritual of repaint stuff around here. PC lasts a loooooooong time, sticks to almost any surface and it tough.

That's why they use it on car body frames, m-cycles, and off-road stuff.

banger

Boolit Master
    Bangerjim is dead on about not using PAM, the powder coat absorbs the PAM and screws everything up. Learned that the hard way.

Boolit Buddy
    In my short time of DT coating I've had better results using parchment paper rather than foil. I'll use foil when I try ES. I get around 4 bakes with the paper before it starts to char.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kfarm View Post
    In my short time of DT coating I've had better results using parchment paper rather than foil. I'll use foil when I try ES. I get around 4 bakes with the paper before it starts to char.
    I have had the same pieces of NS foil on my oven racks and have done over 800 DT boolits. And it is still going strong! Nothing sticks.

Now ESPC......that is different.....because you coat the foil also. I get about 4 coats and the flash starts to build up and I change the foil.

banger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast