Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New technique, boolit holder

Boolit Bub

New technique, boolit holder

One of the problems I encountered while coating, was spraying to a flat surface. It's not conducive to
    even spraying. If you visit a powder coating facility almost everything is hung from a rack of sort.
    I think I have the answer. Aluminum tape used for duct work is VERY sticky, like fly paper. I took
    strips the length of my baking tray and cut them, peel off paper and stick the tip of the "flat" nose boolit
    to it. I made two rows on the outside of the tape which is about 3 inches wide. Pick them up and the boolits
    are stuck to it. You can now hang them...and a bunch of them...as many as your rack will hold. Once coated
    remove and lay flat on pan for baking. When finished the entire boolit is coated except for the very tip.
    Words of caution:

After laying on tray and with a sharp object, make sure the boolits are standing straight up as they may fall
    over as the glue melts, which btw consequently smokes. Once cooled and as you remove the boolits, have a rag or
    a roll pad with some acetone on it and run the tip of the boolit through the acetone to remove any transferred glue.

I have not used the roll pad yet but I think it will work well as long as the acetone does not melt the roll pad material.
    I will try and take some pics next time but I have to tell you I think this will be my technique. The advantage of
    hanging many rows of tape and running the sprayer once is awesome. Once coated the boolits are good for days
    before coating. You could adhere the bottom of the boolit also but it means more glue to clean off.

One other tip for powder coaters, if you take a paper clip and straighten it out, you can use it as a ground rod.
    If you find a boolit not taking powder, touch the clip to the boolit and it will ground it...make sure to keep tip
    away from zapping yourself.

Lastly, I'm not sure how I contracted this disease but it is all consuming.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you clip your ground wire to the aluminum tape, and does it conduct through the tape glue? Interesting concept, I've been looking for a way to get the bullets' base coated...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    I clip the ground wire to the rack and yes it conducts. A metal folding clothes rack would work well and cheap.