Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Understanding temp setting?

Boolit Buddy

Understanding temp setting?

I'm sick if reading through numerous threads trying to find what I've read before and can't ever seem to get the search to come up with anything I'm wanting. I've spent the last 3 hours digging. So I'm going to ask some questions.

I've been watching this powder coating stuff for awhile and decided to dive in. I wanted to start with HF red, but it seems to be popular and HF canceled my order since they didn't have it. Since we don't have a HF store here I decided to try something else through prismatic powders. I went with some dark blue and another color that was on the orange side.

My first attempt... Not as good as I'd like, but I know I can get there. They look alright for a first attempt, but they didn't pass the smash test. The coating flaked off.

There are several methods of applying, but as of this point I'm looking for answers on what to look for when baking. I tried to set the oven to 400 and placed my casting thermometer in to make sure I was finding the right setting. after about 6 minutes it appeared that the powder was to hot and running off. So I turned it down and kept it above 300 for the remainder of the 20 minutes that I set on the timer. Is it normal to get some run off or do I need to set it to something like 350 and bake for 20? I was trying to look up some data on the site that I bought the powder from to see if they had recommendations, but I wasn't having luck there either. So my main question is what is the result of baking with to low of a temp and how about to high?

Boolit Master

I got an oven thermometer from Wal Mart for $6 and change. In the grand scheme of things not a big cost.
    I set mine for 400 and once it gets to there I hold it for the entire baking time. Sometimes have to tweak the knob but most times have it dialed in on the control panel.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure if my temperature isn't reading quite right but at 400 on my thermometer it seemed like the powder ran off. This morning I'm trying to get it to 350 and bake for 20 min to see what happens. It doesn't look like it's running off this time. I'll post some pictures when I'm done with a smash test. I'm trying the blue again and some orange. Crossing my fingers. Tumble method in a plastic bowl seemed to coat nice for both powders, I just need to find something to pick them out of the bowl better then using my needle nose pliers.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I have success after running at a lower temp based on my thermometer. I can't say that 350 is true temp but it works for me. Next I'll have to run more and test shoot them. first pic shows what I did this morning with shake and bake method and how it coated. I can see each spot where I picked the bullet up with the pliers. 2nd pic is after baking for 20 min at 350. 3rd pick shows yesterday's and today's results. left 2 are from yesterday @ 400 and bad smash test. Next 2 are this morning with a much better smash test. One thing I did notice is that all bullets where extremely hard to run through the sizer. I don't know what this means.

Color may not sure up exact. I had to play with brightness settings so I could give a good picture of how they coated and see the smash tests better. My camera isn't very good with lighting. I think something off with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1963.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	100791

Name:	DSCN1964.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	100792

Name:	DSCN1966.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	100793

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    I bought a new/cheap toaster oven from China-Mart and a thermometer. The oven's knob is graduated for temps, not even close.

I haven't cooked all that many coatings so far (cold and wind and being old) but I go with preheating to 400 degrees, put the tray of bullets in and start my time when the oven gets back up to temperature (cold and wind takes their toll). I have been going 15 minuets after the powder starts to flow.

Name:	100_3515.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	100802

I don't adjust my temps up and down.

I did quickly find that one of my molds drops bullets so much over-size, that I am required to size before coating or I shear off coating when I size.

It is all a learning experience and is ongoing.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    First.......what does that powder say for baking time/temp? Never heard of it. Most commercial powders are 400F for 10 min.

My convection oven holds 400F within 7degrees. I have never had any "run-off" of powder as it melts on the boolit. Something is weird with that unknown powder. Again check with the manufacture specs.

I use a pre-heated 400F oven. Once I put slugs in, I watch to see when the powder starts to turns shiny (melts) and then set timer dial at 10 min. I have cooked thousands of boolits this exact way with 100% success. That is both ESPC and DT.

Looks like your slugs pass the hammer test. You want to pound them from nose to base, just like the action they will see hitting a target, not from the side.

Use ground down (and bent in) needle nose pliers or medical hemostats (THE best!!!) to pick up boolits and dip the tips in powder to minimize powder loss on the boolits. Unmodified pliers will not give you the results you want. I have tried every method mentioned on here and the only one that works for my quality needs is the hemostat. Buy the curved ones.

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have never had any run-off from any boolits I've cooked, using shake and bake, sprayed, or the early wet tumble methods. If there is any flashing or paint on the foil after baking, it is because it was there as powder on the foil before baking.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.