Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would You Like To See A "Growin' Things" Gardening Sub Forum? Here's How..

Vendor Sponsor

Would You Like To See A "Growin' Things" Gardening Sub Forum? Here's How..

Everyone who would like to see a "Growin' Things" sub forum, please take a moment and PM Trey45 in support of this request.

Here is a link to send a PM: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/priv...o=newpm&u=9193

There are enough of us on here that grow things in containers, raised beds, enclosed gardens, it is a great hobby that most are eager to share their knowledge, photos, tips and tricks with those of us who are just getting started, wanting to learn, been doing it a while, so we need a place for this and I don't mean in the Cookin' Recipe's forum.

We could have a seed exchange, a place to trade live clippings, fertilizer/compost/emulsion formulas, etc..

It may not take off like gangbusters, but if we get over the hill and turn in enough requests for it, we can at least get a Growin' Things board started. After that, people will see it and it will get more posts and users but we got to get it started first.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 - Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:50:16 +0000
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy - Wed, 26 Mar 2014 02:48:33 +0000
    Hi Trey,

In lieu of having gardening threads mixed in with the Cookin' Recipe's threads about cooking and recipes, do you think we may benefit from a new sub forum in Our Town called Growin' Things - a place to discuss gardening, planting and growing things?

There are a few on our forum that would certainly join in, myself included, with pics of their gardens, beds, pots, and crops. I would contribute a thread on raised bed gardening with lots of pics and I am sure others would appreciate seeing photo tutorials and essays on how to do things in the garden.

Your consideration is mucho appreciated, thanks!

Doug
    Doug,

I have lobbied in the past for this exact same sub forum and was told there wasn't enough interest on the board. I have brought this PM to the attenton of the powers that be for reconsideration. If you know others who would benefit from this new sub forum please have them send me a PM and I will bring their message to the attention of those same powers. With a loud enough voice they might hear us this time!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

go ahead and post your thoughts/votes in this thread too.

Moderator Emeritus

If we do get a new gardening section, there are two possible places for it. One would be above in the sub forums (where The Chapel, Helping Hands, Cooking, etc are) the second place would be the seldom used "Outdoorsman" section. The only way this is going to happen is if enough forum interest is shown. You can either express your interest here in this thread or send me a PM which I will forward to the attention of the other mods in the STAFF section. The ball is in your court now dear forum.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Love to garden and that section would be refreshing and delightful, not to mention extremely helpful.

Boolit Bub
    I'd love to have it, I already got my PM in.

Perma-Banned

I know I would like a gardening section.

Boolit Master

You can put me down as yes on a gardening section.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I think that's a GREAT idea!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Mold
    Heck yes! I love to grow stuff.

Scott

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't see it getting a lot of use, being seasonal. I'd put it in the outdoors section.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I vote NO.

Yeah I love to garden, and I sure would participate in a gardening section, But I think it's just too far from the Theme of boolit casting. Plus, I can't imagine that there will be much participation except for 2 weeks in the spring and 2 weeks in the fall, and I think a couple posts in the recipe section during planting or harvest is a nice timely thing...but we don't need a section that will get used as much as a snow plow in Texas.

Maybe I'm just being grumpy because I am usually firing up my troybuilt tiller in the middle of March to til the garden...The Dang tiller is still snowed in It's 38º right now and feels like a heatwave compared to the last few weeks of weather.

I just took this photo of my garden while I prepared this post. There's enough icy snow in my garden to last 2 or 3 more weeks. It's gonna be a late spring in McLeod County !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

No....not in the outdoors section, no one will ever even see it there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    No....not in the outdoors section, no one will ever even see it there.
    Agreed.. Put it in Our Town and see if it grows..

Also, it wouldn't have to be limited to stuff you grow to eat, there are shrubs, flowers, herbs, anything you plant in the ground, flowerbed, old John Deere tire, or in a container.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

We have. Outdoors section?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm fine with a subforum under our town. We do need to make sure we think this through though. I hate to see the board get cluttered with tons of subforums.

Moderator Emeritus

That's the whole issue is us getting cluttered with sub forums, especially sub forums that are not related to cast boolits or handloading. I lobbied for YEARS for a rimfire area, we finally got it and it's not exactly thriving, but it's not stagnating either. I also lobbied for The Chapel and got little resistance to it, that one was easy.
    I agree with the waksupi, the gardening forum would see little use during the year, maybe a few weeks in spring and a few weeks in fall would see the lions share of usage, with smatterings here and there of how does your garden grow shots during the growing season. As bullshop junior illustrated, not everyone even knows about the outdoorsman section, which in my opinion would be the place for the gardening sub forum. I still like the idea of a gardening sub forum, but for as little use as it would get, is it really worth it? Especially when gardening topics have in the past been posted in both the cooking section, and our town.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Bub

I would like it very much. here we can grow all year long. Winter garden is the best no bugs, weeds, and not much grass. We put most of it in jars.

Boolit Bub
    Great idea! There is always something to learn. Can't wait to show you all my tomatoes.

Marc

Generous Donator

I vote no also. Hard enough to keep up with all the sections now.

Boolit Grand Master

This place already has to many subforums as it is. Leave it be as its seasonal and the amount of posts is minimal.