MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 450 vs. 4500 and why?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 450 vs. 4500 and why?

Which one do you prefer and why? Are the sizer dies interchangeable?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

of the two i like the 4500 , the add on heater is just too easy !!!, yes dies are interchangeable between rcbs and lyman as well as are top punches , while lyman orange is one of me fav colors ( real close to chevy and allis chalmers orange as well as ye olde hemi orange !! ) i do like the newer grey/black hammerstone finish ( chrome linkage etc would be awesum but ....:P )
    my personal fav is the #45 ,it's not as stout but in my humble opinion it's a whole lot sweeter
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    I definitely like the look of the #45. I have a 450 I picked up from a member here but haven't got to use it yet, but was considering selling it and replacing with a 4500, so was looking for opinions. Thanks for the info Fryboy.
    - Thomas Jefferson

you're welcome amigo
    for practical purposes the main difference besides paint color ( and the afore mentioned heater capability ) is in handle linkage , to be fair the newer handle is "mo'betta" and can be retrofitted to the older lyman 450 ,some 450's iirc came with the newer style handle ( difference is kind of like a bicycle grip and two stamped steel sides on the older one vs. a steel shaft and cushion handle on the newer one ,with sensible use and a bit of lubrication most of them should last longer than we do
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thekidd76 View Post
    Which one do you prefer and why? Are the sizer dies interchangeable?
    Good question if you can have a Star. I do have a 450 but only use it for low volume like gas checked 44 mag and a few rifle boolits.

The nice lady at Lyman helped me get late model parts for the 450 at very good prices and I am happy to have it in better than new condition thanks to the upgrade parts.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Was there a transition period between the 450 and the 4500?
    I have an original 450 that has the Lyman orange paint and the late model handle assy and no heater capability.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Was there a transition period between the 450 and the 4500?
    I have an original 450 that has the Lyman orange paint and the late model handle assy and no heater capability.
    not really , something to consider is that the newer handle style was first put out on the 450 and made the change to the 4500 , many retrofitted their older 450's to that style
    about the only other differences that i'm aware of in the 450's in general is the paint scheme ( from grey to orange - which oddly enough happen to be two of me fav colors lolz )
    Je suis Charlie

Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I have 2 45s and a 4500.

With a slight modification to the 45 you can use the 450 heater plate.

All 3 will last far longer than I will if given a little T L C.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 450, the gray one works fine. I have a 45 I need to get running.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    I have 2 45s and a 4500.

With a slight modification to the 45 you can use the 450 heater plate.

All 3 will last far longer than I will if given a little T L C.
    Is there a write up somewhere as to what this mod is?
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by thekidd76 View Post
    Is there a write up somewhere as to what this mod is?
    Not that I am aware of.

Simple job for any OLD shade tree mechanic.

There are several 1/4-20 holes on the heater plate. Slide your #45 sizer around till you find a location that looks good and use a black marker to save the spot.

Now drill out the holes in your 45 to allow 1/4" bolts to fit.

A couple of flat washers and the correct length bolts will be needed.

Place your 45 on the black marked area and tighten.

This was done shortly after Lyman came out with the plate and it is still working great.

Just remember to unplug the heater from time to time or you WILL have lube all over the place when it gets to warm.

NO DO NOT ASK.

Hope this helps as I do not have a camera or the knowledge to post a picture.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Man
    I was on the Lyman website yesterday, looking for parts and the manual for my 450. If the drawing in the manual (which is for both machines) is to be believed, the newest 4500s have a heater that inserts into a hole drilled horizontally into the base and is held in place by a setscrew. You can order/buy the 4500 without the heater, or with in either 115V or 230V. You can buy the heating element separately, as a part, as well.

However, it does not appear that there is any way to regulate the temperature, so one would have to unplug it from time to time, or add some sort of thermostat to the machine, as well.

The customer service rep who helped me was pleasant and we got the parts I needed ordered, so all in all it was a worthwhile visit.

Jess