RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade 45 acp shotshell die

Banned
    What primers are you using with the 6 grains of 231 load?

Some were loaded with CCI LP primers and some with Winchester (blue box) LP primers.

They sit a little deep in the rifle primer pocket but they all have gone bang.

Boolit Grand Master
    I seem to remember a large write-up in one of the gun magazines back about the mid- to late-'70s or so describing that writer's experiences with this same journey. It might be worth going back and looking for it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Ed Harris and Dean Grennell both had good write ups in the '70's about 45 ACP shotshell development.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Those look a lot like the ones used during ww2. I've been wanting to try making a few for my 454 out of 460 cases but can't get my hand on any.
    Bullshop Junior, I have made quite a few of these shot cartridges for my 357 and 44 mag (straight wall cases) by loading them like a shotshell.

I start by sizing, priming and belling the case. Add a light load of Bullseye (try 4 grains- much more tends to blow the pattern apart). Add an over powder cardboard wad made from a cereal box. Add small shot until the case is nearly full, leaving enough room for another cardboard wad over the shot and finish with a light crimp.
    I put laquer or finger nail polish to seal the top of the case. They all work great on pop cans at a few steps. I only got one snake, but it didn't wiggle so worked great in my mind.
    Dave
    smilin jack

Try them on Bumble bees. Its like shooting miniature sporting clays in your yard.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Loaded up a few, the wads were cut down to 11/16" and hard to get in on the first one. After that my brain started working and I used the wad guide off of one of my shotshell reloaders.

They hold 84.9+\- grains of #12 or around 425 pellets. Used 6 grains of 231 and over-shot wads punched from a 12ga hull.

Step by step.

They patterned tighter that my other pistol shot loads using Speer capsules, maybe because of the wad.?

15ft

Video link of them running.
    http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmo...b35-1.mp4.html
    JMorris-old post I know. Do you recall the diameter punch you used for the overshot cards?

Boolit Grand Master
    3/8" works for primer sleeve over shot wads, at least for me. I have also used 35 cal gas checks, kind of depends how much you crimp the mouth.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    JMorris-old post I know. Do you recall the diameter punch you used for the overshot cards?
    Well, can’t say you didn’t use the search feature.

They gasket punch is 3/8” but the plastic pops out of it a little larger in diameter, once the crimp is rolled over the ID at the mouth is 5/16.

Boolit Master
    push wads in sideways.Then use a pencil orflat end dowel or bolt to turn it flat before pushing it down

Use a pair of needle nose pliers

Boolit Master
    I believe the shotsleeve to be very important to the load.
    Without it, the shotload is spun in a whirlpool and flies outward as soon as it exit the barrel.
    A lot of the shot charge is waste and what does hit is a small amount except within very short range.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the shotcup does more good by protecting the shot from the rifling. It prevents shot from being scrubbed out of round by contact with the bore, and it helps prevent leading.

The shot charge is still going to be spun by the twist, but you have more round shot that helps the pattern, instead of immediately departing for left field as it leaves the muzzle.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    On the shells I make with the RCBS die sets, I use 375 gas checks, and they do an excellent job. Good to know that .357 ones work too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I think the shotcup does more good by protecting the shot from the rifling. It prevents shot from being scrubbed out of round by contact with the bore, and it helps prevent leading.

The shot charge is still going to be spun by the twist, but you have more round shot that helps the pattern, instead of immediately departing for left field as it leaves the muzzle.

Robert
    I agree.

Boolit Mold
    I take it that it doesn't hurt the barrel at all?

Boolit Grand Master
    None of my shotloads have.

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12