Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the most "different" breakfast you have had?

Moderator Emeritus

Captain Crunch with beer instead of milk after a friends wedding...

Banned

glass of v8 with a raw egg and a double shot of vodka

Boolit Master
    Never had anything that exotic for breakfast, but one evening, I had smoked salmon and oreos for dinner.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Fresh hog brains and scrambled eggs.
    This is what I used to have also at butchering time.

Boolit Master

I've been to too many Asian countries to count different breakfasts using "that" definition of the word.

Here's something different and PRACTICAL. 16 ounces whole raw cows milk, 3 tbsp. raw almond butter, 3 oz of chocolate, 85% cacao or higher (I like 99-100 myself).

That'll keep a guy going for hours and hours and takes less than 5 minutes to eat standing over the sink. No complex sugar at 100% cacao. Nothing but fat, proteins, and simple carbs for straight body fuel.

Boolit Master

Eggs and little chinese breakfast sausages. They were a tad off flavored, bright neon red, and had large hunks of visible fat the size of marbles in them. Best friend in highschool was from Taiwan.

Boolit Master

Those are my favorite sausages money can buy, bar none. I buy them constantly in Taiwan, and I recently found a restaurant here that will sell me some frozen.

I'm in hog heaven. The fat chunks are what make it especially worth it.

Grilled salmon,peas, v8 spicy, half gallon of milk and coconut meat. It was awesome and kept me going all day

Boolit Master

I spent some time in a B&B in Inverness, Scotland. The landlady served kippers (smoked haddock) fatty bacon, steamed tomatoes, fried mushrooms and blood sausage for breakfast. You could also get porrage (oatmeal) and if you begged really hard, she would fry you one egg as hard a rock.

At a breakfast buffet in a hotel in Bangkhok, the offerings were all oriential and looked like what you get at a Chinese buffet here. There were also 'hot dogs' seasoned with sage and garlic that they called sausage. If your really begged and slipped the cook a couple baht, he would cook eggs that were crispy brown on the bottom and runny and raw on top. No toast or biscuits, just steamed rice.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fresh Chicharones with eggs and tortillas. Had it several times since.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Cajun boudin and eggs. (That's pronounced "Boo-dan", light on the 'n')

Skin an eight-inch link of cold boudin, melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet, heat the boudin in the melted butter. Mash the boudin flat and let it get good and brown and crispy on one side before turning it to brown the other side, then crack a couple of eggs on top, cover, and let the eggs cook. Dump on a plate and enjoy.

For those not familiar with Cajun boudin, it is basically a savory rice dressing made with pork, a little liver, green onions, salt and pepper, all stuffed in a sausage casing, then boiled. It's a common item in south Louisiana. You might find it in Texas, where they can't spell it right, calling it 'boudain' or some such ****.

A Cajun seven-course meal is a yard of boudin and a six-pack.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Buddy

Ruther Glen,Va. Recently escaped from Peoples Democratic of Illinois
    My mom loved her brains and eggs, never tried them. As for me good old fashion Kiska. It is also called Barley sausage or blood sausage. It is all the left over pork parts ground, seasoned and mixed with some barley. Just heat it up with butter in a fry pan press it flat and loose, add some ice cold milk, fresh rye bread and butter and I am 7 years old sitting in grandma's kitchen. It is alot like what you Philly people call pork scrapple. Another is Spitka which is small pieces of salt pork fried, drained, and mixed with scrambled eggs.

Boolit Master
    Fried rattlesnake and eggs. Was on a Civil war reenactment. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Dried Salmon dipped in Seal Oil and a fried in Seal Oil Musk Ox Steak was my most unsusal breakfast....

AG

Moderator Emeritus

Mutton stew on the Navaho Rez was different. I have eaten perch roe mixed with scrambled eggs often, I add green Tabasco. Ate Duck eggs occasionally growing up.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    Cajun boudin and eggs. (That's pronounced "Boo-dan", light on the 'n')

Skin an eight-inch link of cold boudin, melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet, heat the boudin in the melted butter. Mash the boudin flat and let it get good and brown and crispy on one side before turning it to brown the other side, then crack a couple of eggs on top, cover, and let the eggs cook. Dump on a plate and enjoy.

For those not familiar with Cajun boudin, it is basically a savory rice dressing made with pork, a little liver, green onions, salt and pepper, all stuffed in a sausage casing, then boiled. It's a common item in south Louisiana. You might find it in Texas, where they can't spell it right, calling it 'boudain' or some such ****.

A Cajun seven-course meal is a yard of boudin and a six-pack.

dale in Louisiana
    Ha! We eat that, but chop it up, give it a dose of Sriracha sauce, and roll it in a fresh tortilla. Cajun breakfast tacos?

Boolit Master

While in Korea I was able to "enjoy" beef blood soup. My take on it is you whip up a good beef broth and then while it's boiling pour in the beef blood, which cooks into half in thick chunks of cooked blood... didn't eat much that morning...

Boolit Master
    Many moons ago, when I was a teenager. My best friend's parents owned a Summer cottage, on a small island that could only be accessed by a ferry. It was about 50 miles from Detroit, and we would do our imbibing there and afterwards, crash at the cottage. Lack of full-time law enforcement was the determining factor.

One night, the bullfrogs were making their migration and you could hear the splats, they made, as we drove over them in the pick-up truck. After several "beers", we decided to collect some live ones. Threw them, in the "tool-box", in the bed of the truck.

Next morning, "hung over", we had for them for breakfast. Pan fried, in butter and still "kicking".

That same island, also had a pharmacy with a soda fountain. Nothing better than a genuine chocolate malt, for a hang-over. Stan and I, were some of their best customers!

Winelover

Boolit Master

Not the least bit 'different' to us, but to somebody else...

Cajun Breakfast

We Cajuns ate a lot of things for breakfast. Dad was the notorious breakfast cook in our family, and what he cooked was a constant argument between me and my brother. I opted for Dad’s pancakes, and Joe always wanted Dad’s French Toast. My great-grandmother was always good for home-made biscuits, bacon and eggs. But If I wanted to toss out a recipe for the most distinctively Cajun breakfast **I** can think of, I have to turn to my maternal grandmother and her couche-couche. Okay, let’s work on the pronunciation. It’s coosh-coosh.

A high school cheer from my alma mater:

Hot corn bread,
    Cold couche-couche.
    Come on, Gators,
    poosh, poosh, poosh…

(Well, maybe you had to be there…)

Awww, cher, dis one’s so eeeeasy! (It doesn’t take much for Maw-Maw’s voice to come laughing back into my memory…)

Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients: (this is a bunch of EXOTIC stuff, yeah…)

2 cups of yellow corn meal. Okay, white will probably work, but Maw-Maw used yellow…

a teaspoon and a half of salt

a teaspoon of baking powder

a cup and a half of water or milk

oil (Maw-Maw used the grease left from cooking bacon. You ought to try this. Serve the crisp bacon as a side to the sweet couche-couche…)

(this makes the couche-couche. You’re gonna want some more milk, some sugar, or better yet, cane syrup or fig preserves, to EAT the couche-couche)

The procedure:

Put a heavy skillet (cast iron’s PERFECT for this!) on the stove over high heat and pour in a bit of oil. You want enough oil to where when you tilt the skillet, you can easily see it run to one side…

While the skillet is heating, mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Add the liquid a bit at a time. You don’t want a batter. You want a wet mixture that will hold its form when you squeeze a bit in your fingers.

Just when the oil starts to smoke, dump the whole bowl of cornmeal mix into the skillet and spread it over the bottom in a layer. Turn the heat down to medium. Now comes the hard part: Let it be! You’ll see a bit of steam start to rise through the mixture. Carefully lift a bit off the bottom? Is it brown? No? Let it be some more. If it’s brown, then turn the mixture over in clumps and let the other side brown.

What you want to end up with is thumb-sized clumps of cooked, browned corn meal mix. When it’s cooked all the way through, then serve. If you’re of the curious type, a quick taste of the cooking process will easily tell you the difference between the uncooked (wetter looking) and cooked (dryer looking) mix. Once you taste what you’re looking at, you’ll have no trouble understanding the difference. That’s how I learned…

How do you serve this?

My favorite way was to spoon a cup or so into a bowl, pour some cane syrup over it as a sweetener, then add some cold milk. Think Cajun corn flakes, except crunchier, WEEKS fresher, and flavors beyond anything that ever came out of Battle Creek. In lieu of the cane syrup, Mom’s (or Maw-Maw’s) home-made fig preserves served equally as well as a sweetener.

dale in Louisiana

Generous Donator

Brains or tounge with eggs. My Germen Grandfather liked his weird meats. Had Kidneys/Liver for lunch and dinner. Other items I didn't ask about. Just ate them.