Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Best slug mold for a smooth bore

Boolit Master

Best slug mold for a smooth bore

What would be "the best" slug mold for a 12 ga smooth bore? These would be mostly just for popping 25 yard targets. I would prefer something that would be easy to load without having to buy a bunch of new components. How do the Lee one ounce and the Lyman sabot slugs fly out of a smoothbore? Be easy on me as this is the first time casting slugs for shotguns. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Well I dont have the lee mold. I have tried one and it worked well. I have the lyman and love it. Its the one that looks like a gaint pellet. I load my slugs by hand. I started with a dowl, nail and washer. Then got a roll crimper at a yardsale for a few dollars. Come to think about it I might even have the one that looks like the lee but in a lyman mold. Thats for the thread might have to located a lost mold.

Boolit Buddy
    This "Philosophy of Use" is what I like to call slug plinking, and I do it all the time---nothing more fun, and it's great practice for tactical shotgunning. Lee 7/8 oz slug would get my vote---it's cheap, doesn't use as much lead as the alternatives, and can be loaded easily into many different trap wad/hull combos. You can't go wrong with the Lee 1 oz slug mold, the Lee .69 round ball, or any of the Lyman molds, but I think the Lee 7/8 is a nice way to get started.

Boolit Master
    I use a screw in rifled tube on my 870.( Lyman mold) In a smooth bore good "minute of deer" with Lee

Boolit Grand Master

My vote would go to either the Lee 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. slugs... or a 0.662" or 0.678" round ball. I do not have the Lee 7/8 oz. mould yet but will likely get one just because. I do have the others and more.

The Lyman sabot slug is probably another good choice though I have read that they can become unstable at transonic speeds from smoothbore. Not a problem with rifled gun.

Personally I like the round balls because they are easy to cast, easy to load and with good loads I can keep them under 4" at 50 yards from a smoothbore.

Longbow

Boolit Master

lee 7/8 is a very good load out of 2 3/4" hulls, trap commander wads, 1- 20 ga. nitro card and 1-16 ga nitro card per load...I like Longshot for high velocity loads, Clays for plinkers. Good luck finding either, so I discovered today.Attachment 101322. last range trip with said load, 125 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi,up there in the frozen North.The LEE 7/8oz gets my vote,real easy knocking down bowling pins at 25 yards rapid in a Winchester 1300
    Good luck,Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    lee 7/8 is a very good load out of 2 3/4" hulls, trap commander wads, 1- 20 ga. nitro card and 1-16 ga nitro card per load...I like Longshot for high velocity loads, Clays for plinkers. Good luck finding either, so I discovered today.Attachment 101322. last range trip with said load, 125 yds.
    I'm contemplating the Lee 7/8 ounce mold for use in my 12 gauge side by sides . Wanna use it to kill a deer with each gun over time . My criteria for good will be right and left barrel in 3-4" at 25 yards . I plan on using the Claybuster version of the WIN AA12 wad .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you will be disappointed with the Claybuster wads.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I think you will be disappointed with the Claybuster wads.

Don Verna
    Maybe or maybe not . Dunno until I try . But since I keep them on hand seems as good a place as any to start !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines