Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornaday Pro jector progressive Junk or Jewel?

Boolit Master
    Morgan, I don't believe that the disk with the indexing slots is hardened. I removed mine and relieved it with a dremel. I'm certainly no machinist, but I'd think a machinist could do a much nicer job. You also will want to have a look at/replace the split pin because if it is deformed it makes it very tough to get the timing right. The whole indexing/timing setup on the Pro-Jector is the major flaw in it's design. Being a yankee at heart I think I'll stick with my current low primer warning system as the price was right
    BD

Fellas, I need to buy/trade for a small primer tube for the Projector. Anyone have one to spare?
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I'm still looking for one for my press. I bought it used without the small primer seater or tube.
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I bought it used without the small primer seater or tube.
    BD
    It might not be too hard to make one.
    The Alum. tube from a RCBS primer thingy is just a little too fat to slide into the steel protector tube on the Hornady Pro-Jector. A little sanding and it'd fit.

Hardware and RC Model shops sell brass tubing in short lengths.
    For the seating stem: Make the stem from a machine screw.
    It doesn't have to look exactly like the original, just flat on top, and the right length.
    With a little section of brass tubing, make a bushing to go inside the large primer
    seater sleeve to compensate for the smaller diameter seating stem.
    (brass tubing can be cut with a pocket knief by rolling the edge on the tubing.
    Its sort of backwards of a regular tubing cutter, but makes a clean cut)

In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I made one years ago, for large primers using the cup out of a battery cup shotshell primer. It's the perfect shape, having the bottom to bear on the spring. If memory serves me, I think I had to expand it a bit with a punch, for the primers to fit, drill out the flash hole for the screw, and grind off the bit of a flare they have. They're steel, and when the copper plating is polished off, take a nice cold blue.They may be just the right diameter for small primers, or needed, you could tighten it up by driving it into a hole you've drilled into piece of steel.
    Morgan

Boolit Mold

Please help: Pro-jector Problem

Hi Guys

I seem to have stumbled upon the Hornady Pro-jector club!

I have one, but have a problem: The Spent Primer tube is blocked up and I can't get the primers out, and thus cannot load. How do I take the spent primer tube out of the press?? I have tried everything, short of taking a hacksaw and cutting it off. I need to load 600 rounds by Wednesday for this weekend's shooting session.

Please help if you can!!

Thanks

Can you get a piece of wire shirt hanger in from the bottom?
    Morgan

Boolit Mold
    Hi Morgan

I tried that. No luck. Jammed solid. Just got a email from Bob. He says the tube is press fitted, so I should be able to pull it out and just puch it back in again. Will try that this evening. Let's hope it works!
    Have you hugged your gun today?.....

In Remembrance

Hornady press aches and pains

I started out with a Pro 7 in .38 spcl. I added other pistol cals. later I sent the press back when I couldn`t straighten out the timing, they upgraded it to Pro-jector at no cost for my problems. The mods I did was to REMOVE the priming assembly and the cartridge kicker. I have a dedicated press now that sits a few feet away from my Rock Chucker. I have, and still do, load everything from .32 auto up to .458 mag. with no problems after goodness knows how many thousands of rounds loaded. I wore out their first attempt at auto powder charging and have never added any other type on the press. When I was into PPC shooting, back in my salad days, I re-loaded 23,000 rounds of .38 spcl. with Lyman 148 gr. WC slugs I also cast in 1 yr.! I kept track by keeping the empty primer "brick" boxes in a corner. So I prime off press, hand drop the powder and remove loaded rounds. I just dom`t trust the primers in a tube just a few feet from my face. Oh I know it`s supposed to be safer now, but I`ll pass on it. You can tell the age of the press by the color and texture of the red paint. An older Pro 7 had a duller red paint and a little more rough texture to it. Would I sell my press or any of my removed parts? I`ll let my wife and kids decide that when I`m worm food. I should add that I added to the spent primer tube with a plastic tube 16" piece of pvc air tubing pressed onto the brass drop tube already there, and a large brown plastic pill bottle, havent had a jam up in since - 7 or 8 yrs.
    Last edited by Hardcast416taylor; 11-03-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Does anyone know if the newer LnL parts are interchangeable with the Projector press?

Oh and I've been lurking here for a year or so but I'm a "regular" over on Calguns. This looks like another forum full of great info. Glad to be here.
    Last edited by BLFD1; 04-12-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Not many are. The ram is a different size and the base plate is too. There are more stations in the LNL too. The shell plates are interchangeable but even those are not identical..the newer plates are radiused for better shell entry and exit. None of the priming system is interchangeable either.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    Not many are. The ram is a different size and the base plate is too. There are more stations in the LNL too. The shell plates are interchangeable but even those are not identical..the newer plates are radiused for better shell entry and exit. None of the priming system is interchangeable either.
    What I'm hoping is that the base plate will bolt up so I can add the primer and bullet feed options, etc. I just need to compare the two so I can visualize.

I think you're dead in the water on this one. But, call Hornady Monday and ask. They have heard it all and will have an answer.
    R J Talley

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Sorry, I'm still looking for one for my press. I bought it used without the small primer seater or tube.
    BD
    I called Hornady on these parts. They told me the primer cups/springs/seaters are the same as the Pro-7 single stage press. These are still available as separate parts from MidwayUSA.
    Good luck finding primer tubes though... no longer made and out of stock.

I am thinking the lack of tubes will be it's demise unless the entire primer system can be upgraded.

Maybe I should buy a lathe and start make them for sale....

Big time brain fart!!!!

I just tried my RCBS primer tubes from my Ammo-Master II Auto in the steel primer housing of my Hornady Pro-Jector.

THEY FIT!!!

One tube was snug, but I think my housing needs a little cleaning and light rubbing of steel wool.

The RCBS tubes are about 1" too short and not handy to get out. I figure I can knock off an inch or so off the Hornady steel housing tube. I wonder if RCBS will make custom lengths...

The RCBS tubes are the same used for the single stage presses too. RCBS only makes one style of primer tube for all their stuff. Most places sell them for about $10-12 each.

There are 5 stations in my Projector as well...?

Yes, I goofed on the numer of stations. here's the deal, I've got a projector and I once thought about getting it into service. Too much hassle. Do you need an extra one? Shipping would be a bear put I'd let it go for a song
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    OMGB what all goes with the press? Like shell plates, primer conversions, primer tubes, etc....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Yes, I goofed on the numer of stations. here's the deal, I've got a projector and I once thought about getting it into service. Too much hassle. Do you need an extra one? Shipping would be a bear put I'd let it go for a song
    Well, what song do you wanna hear? LOL! Do you have any parts to go with it? Could you PM or email me some pics?

PM sent

~Robert

I'll gladly stand in line for another ProJector!! No matter the condition or goodies.

Keep me in mind if it falls thru!