Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to package a rifle cheap and safe for shipment

Boolit Master

Last time I had to ship a rifle, I used a piece of large diameter PVC pipe, cut a wooden plug for each end out of a piece of 2x8, and then used screws through the walls of the pipe to attach the plugs to the pipe. The rifle itself was wrapped in a LOT of crumpled up newspaper, bubble wrap, and packing tape. After putting one end on, I stood the container up on that end and placed a lot of crumpled up newspaper in the bottom. After putt the rifle in the tube, I put packed a lot more crumpled up newspaper around it and then even more on top before I put the top plug in. I taped the plugs to the PVC pipe so that it would be rather waterproof. I then shook it and dropped it to see if I could get any rattle. Nothing... So, off it went to UPS after wrapping it in cardboard. Probably a bit overkill.

Boolit Buddy
    Keep in mind rifles can break in ANY container.

We ship most rifles out in cardboard uline boxes. Stuffed with whatever paper acusport, or CSI sends us our merch with.

We also insure all rifles sent for whatever the winning bid was. The buyer may not want it. But if it breaks, you're gonna end up paying. Might as well buy the insurance.

We shipped a beautiful rifle with horn inlay to a mr LP, that may or may not own a big firearms supply store here in the states.... It was aledged he was intending to do a peice for his web site on restoring an old shootzen rifle....

Had that puppy wrapped, bubbled, jammed with paper in every area that foam and rifle didn't occupy, and in a hard side case.

When it got to him UPS had turned it into a long barreled carbine.

We had insured it. He got his money back.

The way they sort packages means if the box comes off the line wrong, the next box can hit it plumb in the center and flex it. Then the line jams and they do what it takes to clear it.

Remember. Fragile is Italian for major award. So they might ignore that if its plastered on every side of the box.
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Grand Master

I shipped a barrelled action to JES in a hard takedown rifle case packed inside a cardboard shipping box. Probably cost a bit more but the peace of mind was worth it. The short length probably made it even less recognizeable as a firearm.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tip Goodsteel. Just used it to ship a GunBroker sale. Definitely the easiest way I have found yet. No looking for anything. I just added a layer of bubble wrap under each foam piece to give a little more compression and protection as well as some heavy cardboard at ends and side. I tie wrapped the case and taped the box back up with reinforced packing tape. It worked beautifully!

It is so good I think it would be worth losing a few bucks on the sale to cover part of the extra shipping cost. The time saved more than makes up for it.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Master
    I had an origional unaltered machine gun barrel for the UK 59 MG. It was complete with front sight flash hider and carry handle and part of the gas system. Because of the weight of the barrel and the carry handle thought long and hard about packaging. Since I had some real heavy cardboard and bubble wrap this is what I did. Wrapped and taped the bbl in bubble wrap used duct tape, made up a rectangular double thickness of cardboard taped the bubble wrapped barrel to it and then sandwhiched it with another two pieces of cardboard. Then mummy wrapped the whole thing in duct tape. Then it went into the box it was to be shipped in. That box had so much strapping tape you could have used a machete to open it. Guy sent an email, took him a half hour just to cut the bbl out of the packaging. All I wanted was to make sure he got it in one piece. Heard too many horror stories about firearms getting trashed during shipment. Frank

Boolit Master
    duh! I don't know where my brain was when I shipped that Sharps action to you, I have three or four here! And the bad part is that is exactly what I did in January when I had to ship a rifle and a shot gun to my son in Germany, however I used a Plano box, as It was going to travel quite a ways, but yes the original box made it all better...........I get home in a couple of days, and I will send you a box so when ever you are done, you can ship it back.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master

This needs a bump
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Alternatively, a seller can just press the "EASY" button.............. Something I've been doing for mailing long guns successfully over 20 years, w/o any gun damage or other issues.

All USPO's have, or can obtain for the customer (you), a FREE 37" long USPS Priority Mail delta-shaped (when unfolded) mailing tube: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...=priority-mail

Here's a pic of the unfolded tubes, normally stored at a USPO folded "flat":

I'm sure many sellers have bubble wrap ($3 @ WallyWorld) and/or foam peanuts, from receiving "stuff" we order from wherever (Midway, Brownell's,etc) that can be used as cushioning/filler.

I break the long gun down (barreled action/stock, barrel/receiver & stock, etc) into two separate parts, which get bubble-wrapped separately, and eventually get slid into the formed delta tube. (I mail scopes separately, directly to the buyer - not to the transferring FFL)

I reinforce the inside of both ends of the tube via cutting a thin wooden (plywood, paneling, solid scrap wood, etc) into a triangle the same size as the mailing tube cross-section.

I usually insert the barreled action first, thinnest end toward the opening (so the thin end of the wrapped stock/buttstock can pass by the barrel section), drizzling in foam peanuts as req'd so that the bubble-wrapped sections won't move during transit (shake the parcel to check).

I apply the (ALSO FREE) USPS Priority Mail label and an USPS Insurance form to the appropriate spot on the delta tube, then cover the address label with clear tape. (I also use only initials for the addressee - like PG Inc instead of "Paul's Guns")

USPS mailing cost (NOT FREE), with insurance, will vary depending upon the parcel's weight, and destination - usually around $30-$35 for the lower 48 states.

As whenever mailing a parcel, there is NO legal obligation to disclose the parcel's contents to a Postal Clerk, beyond truthfully answering the USPS questions each clerk is req'd to ask every USPS customer, regarding the parcel's mailability ( are the contents explosive, flammable, liquid, toxic, fragile, etc ? ).

I always use a Sharpie to letter "FRAGILE" on each flat of the delta tube.

For handguns, I use an appropriately-sized USPS Flat Rate Box ($8-$17 postage), with the handgun packedbubble-wrapped inside, for my FFL to mail to the buyer's FFL (non-FFL's cannot legally mail handguns).

Last edited by pietro; 07-01-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Tim, thanks again for starting this thread. I would much rather fight my way through a ton of packaging, or gladly pay extra for shipping in a hard case, than bear the pain of a damaged gun. I recently shipped a minty HiWall for which I removed the stock and packed it separately to make a shorter package (less leverage for the sorting machine to act on). Since I didn't have a spare hardcase I made my own out of 1/4" marine plywood, reinforced inside, glued/screwed together, and stuffed with foam, peanuts, and wadded newspaper. It made for an ungodly heavy package but it arrived in one piece even with evidence of what looked like a forklift tire mark on it. The buyer said it took him quite a while to excavate the gun from its surroundings!

I received a Lovell Krag single shot heavy barreled rifle (.22 Maximum Lovell, built by Hervey Lovell himself) from a guy in Colorado who merely dropped it in an empty cardboard box, no buffering at all. Needless to say it arrived with the wrist broken in two. The guy then died a week or two later from cancer so that ended that as far as renumeration was concerned. (Luckily I was able to epoxy everything back together and the break isn't visible from 2 feet away, but still...)

Boolit Master

I've received long guns both ways: hard case in a corrugated box and wrapped well and double boxed.

Had to return a milsurp to the dealer for some work and returned in the same box I received it in. Wrapped w/bubble wrap and balance of box stuffed w/newspaper.

Once I had to have a box so went to LGS. They gave me one since I was a customer.

I like goodsteel's solution, also the tennis ball on end of barrel. If I did a lot of trading and selling, I would keep materials on hand.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I keep the Browells cases in stock, and I have also adopted the tennis ball trick. I also run tape around the box about ten times over the buckles, and apply liberal amounts of tape over the ends of the box once the case is slid back inside.

One point that I cannot reinforce enough is that if you buy a firearm from someone on this forum or anywhere else, do yourself a favor and bring this thread to their attention and offer to send an extra $35 for the case!!!
    I was recently contacted by a member who had a very bad experience, and from the way it went down, it was obvious that this thread had not been read by anyone concerned. If a firearm gets damaged in shipment, and it was due to sub standard shipping practices, nobody wins, and everybody loses except the carrier who could care less.
    When this happens, I guarantee that everyone concerned wishes they could go back in time and do it right, because $30 and half a roll of tape is cheap prevention, and both the buyer and the seller would be glad to pay for it at this point if only they could.

I wish I had been more serious when I started this thread, because I meant it to be taken to heart and applied. This solution is too cheap and effective not to be utilized, and if it comes to a lawsuit against FedEx, UPS or USPS, they are going to have a real hard time claiming that the damage was due to shoddy packaging if it was done as I have outlined.

I'm telling you: Read this. Remember it. Apply it.
    It is meant to protect your interests, whether you are the buyer or the seller.
    I don't get a dime for giving good advice.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 07-01-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    After reading this last year, I have started doing this too. Unless it's an old mauser or beater, I'll get on Brownells or Amazon and drop ship the seller a new case to mail my new gun in. Thanks for the post!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.