RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First hand opinions of Ford 3.5L EcoBoost engine wanted

Boolit Master

First hand opinions of Ford 3.5L EcoBoost engine wanted

I am considering buying a Ford F150 with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine. It is turbocharged with an intercooler.

I am looking for actual, real experiences with this engine, good, bad, or ugly.

I really don't need any Ford, Chevy, Dodge arguments/discussions. Thanks!

Banned

Ford Motor Company has dependably kept me from starving to death MANY times when nothing else would break down, but I couldn't make a living working on just the Ecoboost engines. My customers that in some cases have a LOT of miles on them say they really do live up to the hype. Efficient, powerful, economical, reliable. Go for it.

Gear

Boolit Master

Thanks Gear! I knew there were a few folks on this forum who would have first hand knowledge. I was hoping you'd chime in.

I bought one two years ago. My mileage was not even close to what the adds said i was supposed to get. I traded for a non Ecoboost F150 model last year. I'm getting 16-19 mph with this one depending how close my foot it to the floorboards. Pulling the same trailer with the Ecoboost I would only get 9-10 mpg, with the new non Ecoboost truck 15-16.

Boolit Master

I have had a 2011 Taurus SHO with this engine, it certainly does stand up to the hype. The MPG ratings are not done by the car companies they are done by the government and are very specific in the test parameters. My car does 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, this is in the largest car Ford produces currently. The police interceptor that Ford produces is the Taurus SHO. I have had no issues with my car and yes. I get an average of about 20mpg however on long trips I've gotten as good as 28mpg. I do not normally drive in a way conducive to good gas mileage, it is just so much fun to drive.

My next car will also be a SHO with the EcoBoost, it is an amazing engine. 420ft/lbs of torque with 90% of it available at 1,800rpm? What's not to love.

I'm also a Ford tech, I see very few issues with this engine. The fuel mileage is fair, but if you can't keep your foot out of it it does drink the fuel. The 5.0 is another good choice. The new F-150's are really nice trucks, like gear said. I wish they would break a little more often.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't personally own one but a lot of my friends have the F150 with that engine. You might want to do some research into EcoBoost stutter. Just about everyone around here that has one has experienced it at some point. From what we have been able to figure out they are getting condensation in the intercooler that is then getting into the turbo. The describe it as feeling like the truck is coming a part when it happens.

Boolit Master

I just ordered a new F 150 with the 5.0L due to two different Ford Dealers suggesting it. The woman I work with does not get over 15 mpg with her EcoBoost and another gets closer to 13 Mpg. I have heard of a friends getting 21 mpg so it's a tossup. I know they have power but the 5L isn't a slouch either.

Boolit Buddy
    Been working at a Ford dealership for 13 years. We sell 90% trucks and 90% of those are 4x4's. We probably do about 2/3 ecoboost engines in those. There have been a few that suffered from the moisture build up in heavy rain but that problem was supposed to have been fixed a while ago.
    If you have a heavy foot you wil not get the mileage it says. had a guy who couldn't get over 17mpg. Went 5 miles up the road to the Red River with him driving he got 17.4. I took over and drove back after resetting the fuel economy screen. I was at 21.4 when we pulled in the drive at the dealership. I hear these fuel economy stories all the time. After riding with scores of those who get poor mileage I have come to the conclusion it is almost always poor driving habits.
    The ecoboost has been a great engine. Having said that I am in a 5.0 Supercrew because it's a V-8 and they have been almost trouble free. I'm a little old school. Only 5 less hp, the bigger difference is in the torque. Both are great engines in what I would call the best half ton ever built.
    PM me if you have any questions you think I can help with.
    Last edited by tengaugetx; 03-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    If you say you can't, you probably won't.

Boolit Master

I drive an F150 with a 5.4L now. I get 9 mpg or less pulling a heavy trailer. I'm giddy if I get 17mpg on a road trip. Rarely do I get there. I am torn between the 3.5L turbo and the 5.0L V8. The potential for good fuel mileage while still having plenty of power available has me intrigued.

Test drives are next I suppose...

Boolit Master
    I am poor so I drive and old 89 F250 I bought in 89 and except for maintenance and and alternator it has and still preforms has the 5.7 (351) Windsor it has served me well for 25 years.
    Frank G.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I am poor so I drive and old 89 F250 I bought in 89 and except for maintenance and and alternator it has and still preforms has the 5.7 (351) Windsor it has served me well for 25 years.
    There I am in spades! Mine is a 1995 with the inline six. If people could do without all the heavy and power-hungry accessories and critter comforts, they wouldn't need turbos on their engines.

My turbo experience is limited to SAABs. Fun to drive, but a maintenance headache that I don't wish to have again.

This from a long-time Ford man, who spent years working at Windsor, Romeo, Lima, etc., upgrading process control systems for block and head manufacturing. Even my tractor is a 1948 Ford.
    Cognitive Dissident

i would suggest that you reset the mpg in the message center on both versions before your test drive, compare with your driving habits.

I have a 5.4 Econoline E150. Over the winter I get 16 mpg and 18-19 avg in the summer. Almost all highway miles. I keep a running log. I drive with a light foot. Perhaps you have been following me. haha.
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 2011 with a 5.0 engine. It will do 22mpg in the higher elevations, but only 18 at sea level where I live. Mind you there is almost always some wind here. Big difference. Towing, half that.

Boolit Man
    I have a 2011 f150 with that engine. Crew cab with a 6-1/2 ft bed. I have over 40 k on it and avg mileage by the truck computer is almost 17. There are numerous trips to Fla and Mi from Phila and if I keep my speed around 70 -71 I get over 20 mpg. If I run at 78 or so it drops to 17.8. You should know that the gov mileage tests are run with pure gasoline, not the alcohol **** that we are forced to buy. Alcohol has I believe it 20% less energy than gasoline and it is 10% of every gallon of "gas". Only issue that I have had with the truck is with the transmission. It had to have its computer reflashed twice to correct rough shifting. Its been good for 15-18k now. Towin a 28 ft car trailer takes the mileage down to around 12 or so.(Detroit to Auburn run). Like the commercial goes "try it - You'll like it"!!!

Another new tech service booliten out on the moisture in the charge air cooler problem, involves the 2013 and 2014 so I don't think they have it completely sorted out yet. only seems to happen on long drives in damp conditions and then hard acceleration. had one customer trade in his 2011 for a 2013 because of a near death experience, only to have the new one do a similar thing. we had one that needed new timing chains (stretched) after around 60,000 km, but that's the only ecoboost 3.5 we had apart.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input everyone. Especially the tip about the 3.5L stalling out. More research needed...

Boolit Master
    I was told the ecoboost required premium fuel. T or F?

Last year my choices were either the Ecoboost or the Tundra. Picked the Tundra and I owned Fords forever. My Tundra crewmax is a 2013 4x4 with the 5.7 V8 and my daily gas mileage around town is 17-18. On a trip I can get low 20's if I drive 60. Made a trip to Austin recently and ran 75 the entire way down and back and averaged about 17.5.

Power out the wazoo with that 5.7 and it runs on 85 octane ( we live at 7,000 feet)
    East Tennessee

I have two experiences. 1.) my 13 f-150. Maybe be too early to tell but no issues.

My mom drives a 11 Taurus sho --- no issues.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast