MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Here! Hello from Missouri!

Boolit Bub

Newbie Here! Hello from Missouri!

Just saying Hello. Ive been reloading for a while now. Decided to expand my hobbies. Ive been reading like a fiend and have started compiling equipment and lead (wheel weights). I started collecting wheel weights about 2 weeks ago, up to 240lbs of lead. Picking up another 400+lbs tomorrow. In my line of work I get a chance to meet a lot of people. My networking skills are paying off.

So far Ive melted down 94lbs of ingots. Heres a few pictures. I was excited when I came home today to see my order from MidwayUsa sitting on my doorstep. Its pays off living 2 hours away from them. I get my orders in 2 days.

The ingots are not the prettiest. I learned quite a bit in the first session of melting down the wheel weights.

1) Zinc is a sneaky sucker. Looks are deceiving. Thought I got them all when sorting, missed 3-4 in a 100lb bucket. Thankfully I kept the temps in the 650-700 range as a precaution.
    2) Putting hot molds on a carpet was dumb and didn't realize it would melt it within seconds. Switched to large paving stones very quickly.
    3) Neighbors and passerby's give you weird looks when are fully dressed in warm weather while wearing a breathing mask and welding gloves.
    4) Level ground in a must, lop sided ingots don't stack well and look funny.
    5) Heat, Heat and more Heat. It took forever to get the first batch going. I didn't want to overheat, so I kept the flame down. After about an hour and decided to crank it to get it going. Lid helped too. Went to Home Depot last night, bought some steel flashing and made a heat shield.

I love this site by the way. Ive learned so much and there is a ton of reading left. Im going to keep it simple for now and just do wheel weights. Seems like a good starting point. Don't have to worry about adding to much to it to make bullets for my .44mag or .40s. Hardness should be good enough, as long as I flux good to keep the tin in.

I do plan on tumble lubing for now. We will see how it goes. Keeping costs down for now. Wife has been nice so far, don't think I can swing another $200+ for a sizing/lubricator. Seen lots of good reviews on the Lee sizing kits with lube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	99904

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	99905

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	99906

Boolit Bub
    Welcome to the site.

On Heaven's Range

Welcome to the madness. You are starting off fine, more and more equipment will follow as needed. If you have a question about a particular piece, just ask. You will get a lot of opinions. LOL

Where in the show me state are you?

Mr. Ed
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target

Boolit Master
    Welcome RacingRedGT. You have found the right place to learn all you ever want to know about casting boolits...........Terry

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, where are you from? I'm near Fort Leonard wood. Would love to have a dual casting session some time.

Hello newbie welcome to this site you'll find that there are a lot of great people on here willing to help you in anyway they can, I know first hand they've helped me alot

Boolit Bub
    I'm in Blue Springs. Just east of KCMO.

+1 for what wrongway said. You name it, there's likely several people here who've already been there. Me, I now a helpless addict. Be told there's no cure, praise be
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome and enjoy the addiction.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Welcome and enjoy the addiction.
    My wife has been very patient with my addictions. Whenever she does say something, I normally respond, "Its better than being addicted to crack!"

Welcome to the maddness of casting. Misourie loves company. Just seems once you start it becomes and addiction. More molds just so you can get more guns to need more lead to need more equipment and so on.
    Don't we all love it. 40 cal not hard to reload and cast for, kust read a bunch of gearnashers, I beleive, threads and you won't have to do the leading learning curve. Also this google sight will make it easier to find info. https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...69:ggn3vg-bjum
    It is made for us.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    Welcome to the maddness of casting. Misourie loves company. Just seems once you start it becomes and addiction. More molds just so you can get more guns to need more lead to need more equipment and so on.
    Don't we all love it. 40 cal not hard to reload and cast for, kust read a bunch of gearnashers, I beleive, threads and you won't have to do the leading learning curve. Also this google sight will make it easier to find info. https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...69:ggn3vg-bjum
    It is made for us.
    CD
    Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

And thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

Welcome from southwest MO, this is a great site, great folks.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingRedGT View Post
    I'm in Blue Springs. Just east of KCMO.
    (Blue Springs) Quantrill territory! Lots of Civil War History around you!

Welcome aboard, molding is just as much fun as reloading. Long as you dont get a hot piece down your glove. This site is great for reseach and answers. Alot guys here know how its done. Good luck and enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Welcome. If you do not want to spend all that money on lubra-matics, try powder coating. Covered VERY well in the stickies on here. Very low investment to start (dry tumble) and eliminates any need for grease and other lubes. NO LEADING! Electrostatic coating is the best way to go once you get your feel of PC'ing.

banger

Boolit Master

Another welcome from southwest MO. As you have already found out, this is a great site. You will find answers to a lot of questions in the "stickies". I also recommend you get the Lyman cast boolit handbook for a lot of reference info. You will also quickly learn we are all a bunch of enablers who will try to get you to expand your reloading habit so you can save even more money!
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Welcome. If you do not want to spend all that money on lubra-matics, try powder coating. Covered VERY well in the stickies on here. Very low investment to start (dry tumble) and eliminates any need for grease and other lubes. NO LEADING! Electrostatic coating is the best way to go once you get your feel of PC'ing.

banger
    It's funny that you mention that. I'm up to page seven of the main PC sticky thread. Already found a working harbor freight coupon code.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Another welcome from southwest MO. As you have already found out, this is a great site. You will find answers to a lot of questions in the "stickies". I also recommend you get the Lyman cast boolit handbook for a lot of reference info. You will also quickly learn we are all a bunch of enablers who will try to get you to expand your reloading habit so you can save even more money!
    It's cool. As long as I don't leave receipts around the house I can always use the, "Honey, I've had that for years!" excuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast