RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Help with cast bullet weights

Help with cast bullet weights

Well I'm about to attempt my first time reloading just to give you an idea of how new I am at this.

I have finally got everything I need to get started. Im reloading for 357 magnum. I ordered my boolits from Missouri Bullet Company. I got 158gr SWC. They came in yesterday so out of curiosity I weighed some of them. All of the boolits are weighting around 160gr to 162gr. Is this normal? Will it throw off my reloading data for 158gr bullets?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

It'll be fine. You shouldn't start off with top end loads anyway so if you use 160 gr load data or even any 158 gr data the difference will be negligible. It's quite common for the alloy to vary in weight by that much. It is good that as a new reloader you caught that and asked though. Always err on the side of caution and keep in mind that the only dumb question is the question that you don't ask.

Good luck and welcome to CastBoolits,

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    It is not unusual for boolit to weigh heavy . Many folks here except 2% as normal variation w/in a lot. I cast a 252gr SWC and 255 RNFP in 45s that weighed in at 262 and 265gr . As we often say start low work up, a couple of boolit grains don't seem to make too much difference as far as loading goes.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Ok. Thanks. I was really worried at first.

Boolit Master

If you have a good loading manual, it will have 'minimum' loads, and maximum loads. Start at the bottom and work up, until you have a load that is accurate. My rifle mold is rated at 160, and drops at 171-172. Don't know why, it just does. Most of my molds are a bit heavier than the stated design weight. I simply adjust to weight. Good luck! mikey

Boolit Master

I'll just add my Welcome !
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Welcome to castboolits. As was stated above no question is a bad question until you don't ask and something bad happens. I agree with erring on the side of caution. A few years ago I would have asked the same question, but I tend to search out an answer before I ask here.
    I originally started out loading for just one pistol, i.e., .45 acp. Once I mastered that I moved on to other calibers within my abilities and knowledge.

Once I moved on to rifle calibers, I probably studied different powders for a couple of months before I made a decision on which type powder to use in my rifles. If you cannot ever find an answer to your question, then it becomes necessary to ask on the board. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard, The information given by some others above is correct. It is not uncommon for some small variations in weight. I'm not sure about you but I'd bet they'd shoot better than I can for the most part.
    Best of luck jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for all the info. Sorry if I was beatin a dead horse. I'll try and search out the answer before asking next time.

Love Life
    Start at the start load for 158 gr or 160 gr bullet weight data and work up from there in whatever increments you feel safe.

Boolit Grand Master

What powder you have on hand to use?

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum. Can't add anything to what's already been said RE: boolit weight variations. cbrick said what I was thinking when I read your post.

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 03-19-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

The bullets are heavier because you are probably not using the alloy the mould was designed for. If you are using something like straight COWWs there is a greater % of lead in that alloy and less % of tin and antimony thus the bullets will be heavier than if the mould was designed for #2 or linotype alloy (most commercial moulds are designed for one of those alloys).

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The bullets are heavier because you are probably not using the alloy the mould was designed for. If you are using something like straight COWWs there is a greater % of lead in that alloy and less % of tin and antimony thus the bullets will be heavier than if the mould was designed for #2 or linotype alloy (most commercial moulds are designed for one of those alloys).

Larry Gibson
    The OP is using boolits he purchased from Missouri Bullet company, not ones that he cast himself. That will undoubtedly come a bit later after he uses up the ones he bought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman5045 View Post
    Well I'm about to attempt my first time reloading just to give you an idea of how new I am at this.
    I have finally got everything I need to get started. Im reloading for 357 magnum. I ordered my boolits from Missouri Bullet Company. I got 158gr SWC. They came in yesterday so out of curiosity I weighed some of them. All of the boolits are weighting around 160gr to 162gr. Is this normal? Will it throw off my reloading data for 158gr bullets?
    If the load data you have is for jacketed bullets and you are substituting cast bullets of the same weight that will throw off your load data more than the difference in weight.
    If you look through load data for other cartridges you will see that often bullet of slightly varying weights are grouped into the same load data.
    There is however way more drag or friction resistance in a barrel between cast and jacketed that will skew the load data if substituting one for the other.

Thanks

If the load data you have is for jacketed bullets and you are substituting cast bullets of the same weight that will throw off your load data more than the difference in weight.
    If you look through load data for other cartridges you will see that often bullets of slightly varying weights are grouped into the same load data.
    There is however way more drag or friction resistance in a barrel between cast and jacketed that will skew the load data if substituting one for the other.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The OP is using boolits he purchased from Missouri Bullet company, not ones that he cast himself. That will undoubtedly come a bit later after he uses up the ones he bought.
    Ah, right you are.....my bad. Hard to say the reason then, eh?

All the other advise for loading the heavier than advertised bullets applies. He shouldn't have any problems if he works up the load.

Thanks for the correction.

Larry Gibson