RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Winchester 30-30 Value ?

1972 Winchester 30-30 Value ?

The bore and action are good. It just looks bad lol. In these crazy times is this Winchester worth $250.00? I know nothing about Winchesters really as I am used to Marlins.

If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

In Remembrance
    I don't know about worth it, but I would likely snatch it up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I don't know about worth it, but I would likely snatch it up. lol
    Ummmmmmmmmm What??????
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

I'd give that for it. If you're looking for a FTF buyer shoot me a PM.

Gear

In Remembrance
    I have and like both, but I am one of theodd ducks that like winchesters better. My only win was born a couple decades earlier though too.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I'd give that for it. If you're looking for a FTF buyer shoot me a PM.

Gear
    Gear I am sorry I am going to purchase said Rifle. I was not looking to sell it.

I was just wondering if it was worth the asking price. And I have been informed that it is. And that my thinking is dated lol. As in 20 years past dated lol.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have and like both, but I am one of theodd ducks that like winchesters better. My only win was born a couple decades earlier though too.
    You an odd Duck no way lol.

Well I will pick up the Winchester tomorrow evening. But then I have to figure out what to do about the receiver? As I have read that in those years they used some kind of odd metal that bluing would not attach to well.

Some more pictures of Ugly.

If you bought it for a shooter, why worry about the way the receiver looks, everyone will tell you you should have bought a Marlin anyway.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Elk 45/70 View Post
    If you bought it for a shooter, why worry about the way the receiver looks, everyone will tell you you should have bought a Marlin anyway.

Well Thank You so much for your very nice words and pulling punches lol.

I have a couple of Marlins a 45-70GS and a .357 Mag. But I messed up and kept reading about the lowly Thutty Thutty lol. And I could not find a Marlin at a decent price since Remington took over and producing JUNK. So I ran across this one today and thought what the heck. I also thought that hey if I did not really like the Thutty Thutty I could send it off to Jess later and have it turned into a 35 30-30.

Look what I ran across. A bolt on rail for a Winchester. No holes to drill in the Winchester as it uses the existing rear site dove tail and lever screw. http://www.mod94scoperail.com/index.html

Those 1970's models with the flakey finish look good cerakoted:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_01981280x960_zps0d0c112d.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	99747

http://www.australianhunting.net/ind...topic=152248.0
    ars longa, vita brevis

I would agree that they bring $250 for a receiver finish worn example. If the bore is good and it should be, its a fine truck gun. Yours almost has a pre-64 worn look. Some of the post guns as stated "flake" and look funky. If you don't know it, it hard to cold blue and or any type of bluing to the receiver of the post guns. I am casting Lyman's 311291 gas check and a charge of Unique for about 1500 FPS and having a lot of fun with my newly acquired 1962 94 30-30 out to 200 yards on metal plates. Very economical. I am shooting it for what scalpers want for 22LR ammo these days.

Boolit Mold
    Well, wouldn't ya know it. Just last week I mounted an XS rail on one of my 94s. My timing is truly amazing. I really like the XS rail but I might mount this on my other 94.

Leave it alone and throw some Break free on the metal and some Feed and Wax on the stock to clean it up. It worked hard for years to achieve that look. I think it's beautiful as is. People are actually charging money to do that to new guns....and some are actually paying it...go figger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bagdadjoe View Post
    Leave it alone and throw some Break free on the metal and some Feed and Wax on the stock to clean it up. It worked hard for years to achieve that look. I think it's beautiful as is. People are actually charging money to do that to new guns....and some are actually paying it...go figger.
    Agreed. A little TLC with the appropriate stuff to seal the exterior and it's good to go. Some guns just look beat-up, but that one looks like a well-used, trusted companion of a man who is probably equally worn but solid.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    May you get as many years of dependable service as the original owner did with the old 30-30. I agree keep it oiled and keep it the way the receiver looks now.

In Remembrance

Do you plan on just shooting it, or entering it in a beauty pagent?Robert

Well I was thinking some 4 Ought Steel wool and oil to remove any rust? And take it down for a good cleaning.

Now what do I use on the Wood?

In Remembrance
    I told you I was an odd duck, that gun looks great, as is to me. lol I tend to like the used look.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast