Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Wet Tumbler Issue

Boolit Buddy

Wet Tumbler Issue

I've built a wet tumbler, but am having issues with keeping the drum rotating. My drum is made from a piece of plastic pipe that is 20" long and is 10.5" in diameter. My motor is from an old treadmill and is turning the rollers I scavenged from the treadmill. I tried non-slip tape (skateboard tape), but the drum causes the grit to wear away and the drum stops rotating after 15-20 minutes. Does anyone have a better way to skin this cat?

Thanks in advance.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Boolit Buddy

O-rings on the rollers maybe?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

cut the length down some?

Cut some strips from the treadmill belt and glue that to the drum.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

How about big rubber bands made from inner tubes slid over the tube to give the rollers something to grip. I think you need more surface area to contact the rollers, that size drum filled with brass must be heavy. Maybe even put some inner tube on the rollers as well. Rubber against rubber should not slip.

Down at the auto parts store should be some spray cans of what is called belt dressing. It is made to stop the fan belts on a car to stop squeaking and grab some traction. It works!

May Liberty Increase!
    My solution was to use tygon tubing with an inner diameter the same as the shaft. I cut it to the length between the pillow blocks and spacers (30-in on mine). Then I ran hot water through the tubing to get it pliable. Put several drops of dish soap (I did about 1/4 teaspoon in each of mine) then run just enough water into the tubing to dissolve the soap. Put your fingers over both ends of the tubing and slosh the solution back and forth to lube the tubing. Put one end of the shaft on the floor and slide the tubing over the top end of the shaft, twisting it as you push downward. I found it worked best to grab the tubing about a hand-width above the end of the shaft. If the tubing sticks to the shaft and won't budge, use a heat gun to get it pliable and moving again. The shaft will suck the heat out of the tubing and make it stick.

Once the soap solution dries, it will actually help the tubing bond to the shaft.

This was my project this weekend. The roller shafts are 3/4-in with 3/4-in ID 1-in OD tubing covering them.

WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Master

I used conveyor rolls for my drive. They are about 1-3/4" in diameter and galvanized steel. The drum is plastic. Had the same problem. Cured it by getting an old inner tube off a bicycle, cutting off a couple of sections about 3' long and stretching it over the roller. Tight fit but it eliminated the problem. Have not noticed any wear to them yet and it has run many hours.

If you wanted to put it over the outside of the drum, a car or truck tube may be a possibility. It doesn't have to cover the whole thing, just a strip on each end.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks to all!
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    I used automotive heater hose over my rods and have never had a problem

Boolit Bub
    I made my own from an old tread mill also. I have some of the treadmill rubber glued to the shafts and have a strip of rubber glued to the drum at each end that lines up with the shaft rubber (hope this makes sense) the strip is about 2" wide

The new drum I have made runs with polyurethane rings also 2" wide fixed to the drum. I think sometimes having a long/large surface area causes its own problems (think flotation tires??) with getting enough friction to turn the drum

Good luck

Reddirt204

Boolit Master

I have an RCBS Sidewinder. When I used to run it with dry media, it would do what yours is. Useless.
    OTOH, when I ran it with wash solution, it ran like a champ. The added weight, coupled with the self leveling nature of water, fixed it perfect.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy

Thanks again to all for the ideas.

Today, I took a truck toolbox liner and cut strips that covered the rollers. I attached the strips with heavy duty spray contact cement. Works like a champ now.
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

- James Madison

Boolit Master
    I used hyper resistant metal reinforced hydraulic hose that has the same ID as the metal rod. (1/2 ID).
    Soap and water, and push quick on the rod to cover it. wont move once it dries, will take a life to wear down.
    Before that I just had rubber hose on, and it wore down pretty quick.

I wrapped an old pulley rubber belt around my drum, glued it with contact glue and made a hot glue reinforcement all around.
    Doesnt move, doesnt slip.

Quote Originally Posted by mktacop View Post
    Thanks again to all for the ideas.

Today, I took a truck toolbox liner and cut strips that covered the rollers. I attached the strips with heavy duty spray contact cement. Works like a champ now.
    some pics would be nice.....