Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Good 38 special, 357 mag small game cast bullet

Boolit Bub

Good 38 special, 357 mag small game cast bullet

Would a wadcutter be a good small game bullet in a .38/.357 lever gun or you just use your standard cast and powder loads.

Thanks

158 RN would make a nice plinker/game getter!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The roundnosed bullets sometimes seem to slip through game almost without making a hole, and are criplers. Much better is a rounded flat point having a meplat at least 1/2 of bullet diameer, such as Saeco #358, if for rifle use. If feeding is not an issue, as for a revolver, a full wadcutter at target velocity kills well without excessive meat destruction.

Boolit Master
    I'd see if Mihec has any of the 358156 GC HPs left we have one that works fantastic in both the model 28 and the 1894 on varmints.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Round nose is better for critters you want to eat. Less meat damage. Well placed shot=food on table. Just my 2 cents...

Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

The lee 358-158rf shoots great in my carbines and pistols
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master
    the Lee 358-158 RF certainly has a meplat on it.

Banned

I use rnfp's for everything.
    they tip over steel animal cut-outs, kill deer, rocks, and make holes in paper.

Boolit Buddy
    That lee bullet is pretty good. It seems to shoot good out of a variety of guns.
    I know a guy who shoots mule deer with it out of a 2" barrel at 1050 fps and
    doesn't recover the slugs.

Boolit Master
    I use a wad cutters on squirrels. the dead squirrel looks like you used an over sized paper punch on it. There is a caliber sized plug of meat that is just gone. I based my choice on what is the most accurate at subsonic velocities from my rifle. IMO accuracy and possibly feeding if you are using a repeater, trumps down range performance in the case of small game. I cannot see a squirrel or rabbit going far with a properly placed .357 boolit hole in him.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    I use a wad cutters on squirrels. the dead squirrel looks like you used an over sized paper punch on it. There is a caliber sized plug of meat that is just gone. I based my choice on what is the most accurate at subsonic velocities from my rifle. IMO accuracy and possibly feeding if you are using a repeater, trumps down range performance in the case of small game. I cannot see a squirrel or rabbit going far with a properly placed .357 boolit hole in him.
    I have done the same thing on a few bunnies and squirrels. Nice neat holes like it punches in paper. I guess you would have to be sure it feeds well in a lever. I shoot mine from a 6" revolver. I have also shot them with the 100gr Ranchdog .380 ACP design, the Lyman 358156, and everywhere in between. I would just use whatever works best in your guns.

Boolit Master
    +1 for the Lee 358-158-RF. Very accurate in both rifle and pistol... either 357 or 38 Spl.

Boolit Grand Master

If your rifle will feed it, the Lyman #358432 in the 160 gr. weight (it also comes in a 148 gr. weight) is a wadcutter with a slightly rounded shoulder , this allows it to feed smoothly in my buddies Model 92 Winchester , usually loaded in 357 mag. cases, this is a dandy bullet.

Gary