Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .58 Caliber - 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    This is the description and I am confident because I am buying it from drhall762:

Armi Sport 1861 Springfield .58 cal. unfired with sling and bayonet

Now I have two complaints.

1. When I requested a lead to one in this thread, no one told me about this one when it was listed

2. When I looked over his thread, I didn't see it until the second time it came around, or was it the fifth or sixth time?

Make that three complaints!

3. Cag40Navy hasn't had lessons on how to dipper pour these out of my moulds. He'll probably post a thread similar to "It's way too slow and Brass wants way too many!"
    Yay! Another task at hand... When will you want this done?
    Last edited by Cag40Navy; 05-05-2014 at 02:21 AM.
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Boolit Master

All good Task Masters want everything immediately, if not sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    All good Task Masters want everything immediately, if not sooner!
    Yessir. Let me get the time machine warmed up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cket_zps3b7f4d37.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	104144
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Yessir. Let me get the time machine warmed up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cket_zps3b7f4d37.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	104144
    Might even help when we score the hits!

Boolit Master

Time for an update.

I found a second 575213 mould in swapping and selling.
    I also have a Lee 585505 Lee Minie mould.
    Musket should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
    I can't wait. Wait a minute. I have to wait! No Time Travel here!

Boolit Master

It's here early! Arrived today! Cag40Nave is out back dipper casting! Guess what moulds he gets to try next?

Three guesses and if they are not 575213, 575213, and 585505 then you lose!

Boolit Mold
    I have an ArmiSport version of the 1861 Springfield. Anyone have any experience with shooting one of these? I've yet to test it out, but I am eagerly looking forward to doing so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
    I have an ArmiSport version of the 1861 Springfield. Anyone have any experience with shooting one of these? I've yet to test it out, but I am eagerly looking forward to doing so.
    i have the same exact model that you have. I just got it and I haven't managed to try it yet.

Boolit Master

I managed to find a store with propellent and #11 caps.
    I guess I really should have looked to see if it uses #11 caps.
    Oh, well. I was driving down the highway and I saw a store I had never seen before. Well stocked and I was able to buy 1,000 caps. If they won't fit this then I'll just have to use them on the .36!

Boolit Master
    Well if it is a .36 cal rifle then maybe the #11s will work. If it has the small nipple or is a revolver then many times they take a #10 cap.

On your musket I'd bet it has a musket nipple so uses a musket cap. All caps are kind of hard to find- especially the musket caps, so not a bad plan in getting the #11s. The #11s will work but require a #11 nipple for that musket. I think Track of the Wolf sells a #11 nipple for the Armi Sport M1861 musket and they should be 8x1 metric. If in doubt call Track of the Wolf.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1
    Last edited by fouronesix; 06-21-2014 at 03:13 PM.

I see this post and I read it and found it interesting because i got a 1864 Brigsburg 58cal. say on the side plate but i was told it is really a 1863 because of the rings for the barrel and stock.I got it back from the gun smith yesterday and in working order.and can be used also fond a bayonet for it years ago. my dad had it sit in the attic years ago and did not do anything with it .it was given to him and i got it fix and the gunsmith tested it and shot good and just need to sight it in now he shot ball and patch in it for his test.He said it was the oldest gun he shot.I am looking forward of shooting it and i also working on getting some moulds also to cast myself.I am looking for a sling for it now.then the gun will have all it was to have after.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

trapper9260,
    Good hear you got the old musket into working order!! You can shoot either Miniés or patched roundballs. The smith shot the roundballs probably because that was the easiest or handiest for him or he may not have had handy access to a Minié.

I'm not absolutely certain based on your post but I think your musket IS a model 1861. Is the lock plate marked "US Bridesburg 1864"? According to Civil War arms references, Jenks and Son had a large military contract for M1861s (many or all were marked Bridesburg) and they can have dates ranging from 1861 to 1865.

As I understand them, the "rules of thumb" include: The correct barrel bands for the model 1861 would be flat and have band springs. While the barrel bands for the M1863 would be rounded. The hammers were slightly different between the M1861 and the M1863. The bolster on the M1861s would have been rounded and have a clean-out screw. The bolster on the M1863s would have been flat with no clean-out screw. Of course there were variations among the many, various arms contractors during the Civil War, and exceptions can be found including variations among those called "special contract" models. And of course, your musket could be a mix of parts. I would tend to classify it as an M1861 if the lock and barrel are M1861... even if the stock or other furniture are from an M1863.

No matter, get that thing to the range and see how it shoots! They seem to do best with light to medium charges of real blackpowder. In 58 cal muskets, I don't like to exceed more than about 60 gr of FF and it's certainly not recommended to hot rod any original.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 06-22-2014 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    trapper9260,
    Good hear you got the old musket into working order!! You can shoot either Miniés or patched roundballs. The smith shot the roundballs probably because that was the easiest or handiest for him or he may not have had handy access to a Minié.

I'm not absolutely certain based on your post but I think your musket IS a model 1861. Is the lock plate marked "US Bridesburg 1864"? According to Civil War arms references, Jenks and Son had a large military contract for M1861s (many or all were marked Bridesburg) and they can have dates ranging from 1861 to 1865.

As I understand them, the "rules of thumb" include: The correct barrel bands for the model 1861 would be flat and have band springs. While the barrel bands for the M1863 would be rounded. The hammers were slightly different between the M1861 and the M1863. The bolster on the M1861s would have been rounded and have a clean-out screw. The bolster on the M1863s would have been flat with no clean-out screw. Of course there were variations among the many, various arms contractors during the Civil War, and exceptions can be found including variations among those called "special contract" models. And of course, your musket could be a mix of parts. I would tend to classify it as an M1861 if the lock and barrel are M1861... even if the stock or other furniture are from an M1863.

No matter, get that thing to the range and see how it shoots! They seem to do best with light to medium charges of real blackpowder. In 58 cal muskets, I don't like to exceed more than about 60 gr of FF and it's certainly not recommended to hot rod any original.
    Thank you for your help on some things that you clear up for me . it is like you stated about the M1863 All that you said about it.Yes it was also easy for the gunsmith to use round balls to test it.I am getting some moulds for me to cast some mini and round balls .At first when I had someone else look at the gun they told me that do not shoot it for how they said it was.Then later on in years i went to this gunsmith and ask him to look at it and see what he said and he told me it look shootable. So I went that way and had him get the missing part that was reprodution and had to replace a broken part also and now it is good to go .He did say toward the breech plug some of the riflen was gone but that is not going to be a problem that the rest was in the rest of the barrel.to the end of the barrel.now I have a complete rifle now.Need to ust find a sling for it. Thank you also for letting me know to est use real BP in it and how much. Here is the link I found n the company that made it. http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCG...objects,.thnak you
    Last edited by trapper9260; 06-22-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    The NRA museum is another source of information. Here's a link to a Bridesburg M1861 with photos.
    http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/...le-musket.aspx

The NRA museum is another source of information. Here's a link to a Bridesburg M1861 with photos.
    http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/...le-musket.aspx
    Thank you I look at the site and my dose not have that clean out like the on that is show.That is why I said you got it for saying it is a 1863M .Thank you

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Yes, that bolster indicates M1863, so it may be one of the late Jenks M1861 contract muskets that was built in an M1863 Type I configuration. It would take an expert in these arms, with the musket in hand, to tell for sure. The Springfield Museum info does mention that possibility in their write up of one in their collection. IF that is the case with yours, it does increase value some because it may be in more of an original condition than thought.

"Manufactured by Alfred Jenks & Son, Bridesburg, Pa. in 1864 - Late Model 1861 Jenks contract rifle-musket and is actually in Model 1863 Type I configuration. Jenks was the only contractor to make weapons in 1863 configuration. Clean-out screw eliminated. Clamp type barrel bands. Jenks & Sons manufactured 98,464 M1861 rifle-muskets."

Attachment 108506Attachment 108507Attachment 108508Attachment 108509Attachment 108510Attachment 108511

Here is some pics i just took of it and think you like to see it and also other might like to see how it looks also.

Boolit Master
    trapper,
    Those attachment links don't seem to work. While this thread has wandered a bit I think it is still on topic of M1861 & M1863 rifle muskets so would like to see photos of your Bridesburg.

trapper,
    Those attachment links don't seem to work. While this thread has wandered a bit I think it is still on topic of M1861 & M1863 rifle muskets so would like to see photos of your Bridesburg.
    I do not know how to post the pics on here that is why I try what I did if you give me your email address I can email you the pics and go from there.

Boolit Master
    Ok, it's not too hard to add image to post- just a few steps.
    90-100kb image file size is best and JPG (JPEG) format works well.

When storing image files on computer for use in posting, save or transfer the image file you want to post to the "Desktop". That way it is easier to select a visible file on your screen. (there are other ways, this is just the one I use)

On the Forum site:

Click "Reply" then type in message as per normal
    Click "Manage Attachments". If it doesn't show then click "Go Advanced" then click "Manage Attachments".
    a small window will pop up
    Click "Add Files"
    Click "Choose Files"
    a small window will pop up
    Click "Desktop" (or location of your photos in your computer)
    Click on image file you want to post
    Click on "Choose"
    Click on "Upload". This adds the selected image file to your post and takes a few seconds to load.

Click X or close small pop up window.

Follow those steps exactly and it should add photos to a post. You can choose "Review Post" to see results.

If satisfied, Click "Submit Reply".

Just to practice go to the "Testing Area" of the forum and try adding generic photos to a post. After you've done it a few times it gets fairly easy and routine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast