Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: What suppressor?

What suppressor?

Hey Guys/Gals, I've never owned a suppressor, but I'm thinking about getting one. I'd want one to use with a pistol and a rifle. Something that can be taken apart to be cleaned and also one that would not interfere with most standard open sights. What do y'all like/recommend? Thanks

What suppressor?

.22lr..oops!

Boolit Master
    I've got a Gemtech outback II. It can be taken apart to clean. It is also small enough in diameter that open sights can be used. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I have a Liberty Kodiak TL. Love it. It can be taken apart for cleaning. I can't speak to the sight issue as I shoot mine on rifles with optics. I will say that the sights on my P-22 are too short to see over the top of the suppressor. BUT, I've learned to "see through" the suppressor when shooting the pistol. IIRC the outside diameter on most 22 suppressors is right at 1 inch. Here is a link to the Liberty website: http://libertycans.net/rimfire-suppressors/kodiak-tl/ I highly recommend them. Great folks to deal with before and after the sale.

Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone have any experience with the HA Guardian?

Boolit Master
    I have a Spectre and a Sparrow. Both come apart easily for cleaning. I personally wouldn't buy a can for a .22 that doesn't come apart, and can only imagine how much I would spend on shipping. Anyway, the sparrow is easier to take apart. The Spectre has no "first round pop", which is the first shot being louder than the rest due to oxygen in the can. After the first shot, both are equally quiet. I'd recommend either one, but honestly slightly prefer the Spectre due to the lack of FRP for hunting use, but have been able to eliminate it in the Sparrow by using a little water or grease in the can, so either can works great. If you're planning on using the same can, or really any can, on a rifle, remember that if you have enough barrel length for your ammo to be able to achieve supersonic velocity, the can will eliminate the muzzleblast, but can't do anything about the sonic crack of the bullet in flight. This is the reason most factory threaded pistols are in the 4.5-5.5" barrel length range. In a rifle, you will have to use subsonic ammo or just live with the flight noise--whichever you prefer.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few thousand rounds through my Sparrow II without any complaints. It comes apart and cleans easily. If I were going to buy another I would go the same route. I only notice a slight difference in the first round after having cleaned the can. After a few rounds I don't notice it any more. I have killed five squirrels from the same tree with mine. I have it on a CZ452 American 16".
    If you say you can't, you probably won't.

Last edited by Artful; 03-04-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=716
    IIRC you have to sign up to read on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Neat concept, but too big! Also, I wouldn't waste a tax stamp on one of those

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    IIRC you have to sign up to read on that site.
    And??? - lots of boards make you register - takes what 3 min to do so
    The link I provided will let you look at Test data comparing many suppressors
    not only in 22LR on rifles and pistols (yes there is a difference) but many other calibers.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."