Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Made some apricot jam

Made some apricot jam

So the export department at work had some apricots the shipper said were not up to export grade. Funny. They looked better than what we get locally! Anyways, I got some for making jam. SWMBO cut them up while I was out fishing today and started them pulping. I finished off and bottled this evening.

Here's the old jam pan brewing away:

And the final product all jarred up:

Just had a cup of tea with a piece of home made bread and apricot jam. Life is good.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Those jars look fine, and the combination you ate sounds terrific! I have been making sourdough bread from a starter I have had over 30 years. The starter must be fed at least once a week, and occasionally I have had to ask a friend or family member to do this for us when we are away. Occasionally when our youngest daughter gets a bit ill about my attention to this starter (or any other trivial matter) I remind her we have had it longer than she has been with us, so it has seniority over her! That pretty much calms her down and ends the disagreement. Tell me about your home made bread, please. Thanks.

Thin Man

Boolit Master

That does look great! Every thing around here is froze and has been that way for a long time. It is -2 F right now. I can almost smell them cooking.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

You sure you aren't from New Jersey? The guys at LaGuardia Airport always say that things just "fell off da truck..."

Good for you and the Missus on the nice collection of Apricot Jam for the next year.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Mmmmm, tasty. I love apricots and apricot Jam....devine.

Boolit Master

Funny thing...

I love most any fruit, BUT apricots...

Just can't stand the things!

Enjoy, and I'll have some peach jam!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    You don't like fried apricot pies?
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

I have made some apricot jam this past year.Also had some peach I made also .i have been maken some different ones also that i froze the berries for later, during last year and been working on it off and on during this winter.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    You sure you aren't from New Jersey? The guys at LaGuardia Airport always say that things just "fell off da truck..."

Good for you and the Missus on the nice collection of Apricot Jam for the next year.

Bruce
    No, the apricots were all above board Bruce but I do know what you mean.

The last batch we got two years out of and some. Of course it took Sheryl 6 months to make it though. She was pulping the fruit when the quake hit Feb 22nd 2011. The pulp got frozen as we had other priorities and she finished it later that year. Slowest production in history.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

In Remembrance

I love Apricot! We made strawberry this past weekend as the local grocery had a sale on strawberries. We did enough to share with kids, grand kids, and great grand kids.

Wish I could find someone around here that has apricot ice cream!

Oh, man, that looks tasty. I have a apricot tree here that unfortunately is trying to get ready to bloom right now. It has roughly a 10% chance of making fruit because of our late freezes here. But it is great when they make a crop, sure makes us appreciate the little rascals.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master
    Apricot and peanut butter sandwiches! Yum! Strawberry jam and peanut butter, honey and peanut butter, do you begin to see a pattern here?

In Remembrance

Apricots in our area only average a crop every seven years. There may now be a variety with a higher chilling hours requirement that would delay flowering enough to improve that figure. There are peach varieties that have longer chill days that help production. When we have a good year for wild plums (sand cherries) we freeze gallons of juice and have made jelly for up to three years from a crop.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post

Bruce
    It's actually "youse guys want..." Sorry to say from and still live in Jersey (not New Jersey). And its going down the shore no matter what direction it actually is.

Boolit Man
    If talking about store bought apricots I wouldn't feed them to the pigs. I grew up in some of California's prime apricot land and I can say if you ever ate a proper tree ripened apricot you would change your mind. Most of California's apricot orchards have been turned into malls and housing tracts. That is why we only find those pathetic little Chinese/Turkish 'things' in the market any more, the one that like a faded yellow pitted olive. Ugh!

In Remembrance

Grocery store fruits and tomatoes are such a disappointment that we don't buy them. If I grow nothing else garden related, I grow a few tomatoes, there is no comparison.