Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hey, .357 maximum, lubes

Banned
    I am also a flintknapper/arrowhead maker and have gotten my fair share of caveman jokes....so yeah "its so easy even a caveman can do it" applies here.

I waaaaaay overcomplicated loob at first, it needs not be that way to work. Most potential loob alchemists tend to do the same, most get over it eventually and make something simple.....a few souls deliberately make an epic saga story out of it......whatever makes you happy. I will take simple, thank you very much.

I'm A Honcho!
    Just out of curiosity how hard have you pushed this loob.
    Will it take rifle velocity?

Banned
    It will take all that the laws of physics allow you to accomplish. It has gone to 2800+ in my toys with accuracy.

I'm A Honcho!
    How bout the low end light pistol ?
    Is this the perfect lube easy to make and shoots in all velocities....
    Not possible it can't be this easy.
    It is blowing my mind I think I am dreaming will someone pinch me

Banned
    I have used it in 32S&W-Long, 30x38Spcl...AKA.....30Badger (contender pistol/rifle),38Special, 357MAG ( revolvers,contender,rifle), 30-06, 8X57, 243Win, etc, etc.......so far I would call it pretty close to perfect, but I do not live/shoot where the temps get much above 95 degrees unless you have crawled into a pizza oven either. Sometimes SIMPLE **** WORKS, why fight it?

Try it in everything you have and tell us

I'm A Honcho!
    I will
    In the desert where I am we see triple digits a lot but I like A.C when it is that hot.
    Fat guys melt like snowmen
    Thanks 357

Wasalmonslayer

Banned
    Wasalmonslayer...you are more than welcome, and I feel you on the heat issue.....I hide in the AC if at all possible anytime it hits 90 degrees.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Hi Mike, It is amazing to me how much can be gained by a person with an understanding of basically any subject can have astonishing revelations when they just "STOP" and think about things!
    It is not often I see someone who learned that lesson on there own, however you are definitely one of them. I really commend you for your understanding into what has been a mistry to many.

I was lucky in high school to have a wonderful teacher who was a litle old lady who had the paitence to deal with me, once she smacked me right up beside the face and said " Stop and think before you run your mouth are worse", that was a turning point in my life! Haven't always done as she said, but I keep trying!
    Thanks for your efforts and accomplishments.

Banned
    Changeling

Thank you, and you are welcome....BUT............, both Felix(R.I.P) and Glenn Larsen were regular "chat" companions during my "lube journey", would not have gotten there without their help......Glenn was the first to plant the less is more thought in my head when it comes to lubes in fact. So as you see.....I did not get there on my own.....I just asked the right men the right questions at the right time in the "journey".

Boolit Master
    Hi, Mike. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Can I use Sodium Sterate instead of the ivory soap at the same weight levels or is it different?

Can I put the finished product in a container till it has set up and cut it into pieces/strips to store outside the freezer? Then remelt it for use?

That's it. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions, thank you.

Banned
    You are welcome but,I have not used pure sodium stearate in this recipe, you are on your own....been over 4 years since I have had any in the lube making cupboard in fact....I like Ivory as it works and I can have SWMBO pick it up with the vittles....you are on your own, but it should be pretty close going from past experiences with different recipes, but again you are on your own.

I ran out of mini lube muffin pans the last time I made a batch so I grabbed a teflon coated cake pan and poured on large lube cake. I then let the lube cool naturally, when cooled I put it in the freezer for an hour so the "cake" would release, then let it come back to room temp. I then sliced it into lil blocks with a knife afterwards and all was good....so YEP. I store my lube in the "LUBE CUPBOARD" and I keep my venison in the freezer btw.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Mike, I'll work with the Sterate and post any findings.
    Glad to hear you have some venison to store.

Boolit Master
    Have not yet tried your "Satan's Lube" Mike. Reckon I'm going to have to get some paraffin and another jar of Vaseline. Also wondering if, with some slight adaptation it could be used with holy black.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Have not yet tried your "Satan's Lube" Mike. Reckon I'm going to have to get some paraffin and another jar of Vaseline. Also wondering if, with some slight adaptation it could be used with holy black.

smokeywolf
    It has already been successfully used with REAL BP in my .50 H&A style underhammer on Lee 250 R.E.A.L, and as a patch and felt wad lube.........No adaptation required.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking more along the lines of boolit lube on 45-70 and on Minie Ball in a Springfield 1861.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of boolit lube on 45-70 and on Minie Ball in a Springfield 1861.

smokeywolf

Try it as is, then report your findings.....enquiring minds and all, ya know.

Boolit Buddy
    Just catching this thread, and after reading I'm wondering - how's this lube do for load-and-store? Any problems with the lube 'leaking' oils and contaminating the powder?

Also, see some references to it being unknown how the lube performs in a hot environment - anyone have any feedback on use in hot environs?

I'm looking forward to trying my first batch soon. I'll stick to he original recipe...

Thanks,

Tristan

Banned
    Tristan

I have used it up to 92 degrees and all is well, but I do not leave gun/ammo in a closed vehicle or nothing like that. It will not seperate oils or nothing until about 250+ degrees....lube and store under normal conditions would be fine, unless you live next to the main gate to Haites I spose. I have only ever seen one lube "leak" or "bleed" and it was a blue colored commercial lube that normally works pretty good otherwise....it leaked what appeared to be mineral oil, but the lube was being mistreated when that instance occured. I believe as a group we all put too much thought and not enough do into boolit lube, it is more resiliant/easy to get along with than seems "logical" I spose.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate your feedback and agree with your desire to follow the KISS principle. Might try mixing up a batch this week if other projects get delayed.

It easily gets over 100 here in the summer, and inside a closed vehicle, who knows. Hot as heck, that's for sure. Maybe I can do some testing with a few cartridges this summer...

- Tristan

I made a smaller test batch of your recipe- 2 oz gulf paraffin wax, 2 oz vaseline, 2 oz beeswax, .33 oz of dried & grated ivory soap. I wouldn't venture into lube making if it weren't for the fact that I have a supply of free gulf wax and vaseline. I was surprised at how simple the process was. I pan lubed some mihec 503 boolits and loaded them over 10 gr of unique and shot them at 25 yards. I'm impressed! They shot really well with no leading. Now to switch the lube in my lubr-sizer for further testing....

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Attachment 104882
    Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

-Chesterton