Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Mixing lubes

Boolit Buddy

Mixing lubes

I have some old lube sticks from my casting start-up days that I'm wanting to use up. The lube is Jake's purple ceresin. I have used Jake's Moly ceresin and 50/50 with good results, but never used the purple in the sample pack. For some reason I was always uncertain of the purple. I was thinking of melting it with some 50/50 to make it harder. Would this mixture work for 9mm and .40sw? After it is gone I'm going to try some of the White Label offerings and randyrat's Tac1.

Banned

you are looking to make the 50/50 harder right?
    the cersin will do that, just add about 25% to the 50-50 or use it alone. [I'd add a little lanolin too]
    the purple takes heat to flow, but is a decent lube [nothing great but is better than the commercial micro-wax lubes]

Boolit Buddy
    I like 50/50 for what it was intended for as a bullet lube. I like harder lubes for the way the bullets are kept in storage. I was thinking that mixing the ceresin I never use to be a way to make a harder 50/50 as you said. I decided experiment a little with the same load in 50/50, mixed, and just the purple. This will be a way to learn something while using up what I have on hand before ordering more. Eventually I would like to find two lubes for most of my needs and get another Lube-a-Matic. I did melt some purple and 50/50 together and Jake's **** brown was the result. Hope it works better than it looks. In the future I plan on doing a test between 50/50 and Speed Green also.

Banned

the 50-50 and speed green is pretty decent. [although softer]
    it's similar to my simple lube [recipe published here somewhere]

mixing 50-50 2 to 1 with carnuba red and adding some lanolin is a good storage lube that works very well [it does take a sighter/cleaner/cold barrel shot to get going though]

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds like a good combo. I'm going to keep it for reference for future use. Thank you for the info.