Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: A Handy Skill - Soda Can Stove

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Lightbulb A Handy Skill - Soda Can Stove

A source of controlled heat is handy for things like cooking and boiling water to make it safe for drinking. One of the simplest is a "Soda Can Stove" which can be made with simple tools and two empty beverage cans. It uses alcohol for fuel, is very light weight, and can easily be made in the field. Like most things it takes some practice to make one well so now is the time to learn how and to make a few to hone your skill. There are several designs and variations as well as some accessories that you can make.

Google "Soda Can Stove" and look at how they work and how various people make them and then decide on one to try. Make your own then fire it up and cook something. I made my first one from two Pepsi cans with nothing but a Sharpie marker, utility knife and an ice pick I then used it to fry an egg and boiled water for a cup of hot coffee. I learned from that one and made a better one with the help of a pair of scissors. I am still making them and trying different designs and sizes and the more you make the better they are.

So develop your skills now because you never know when it may hit the fan and you will need them. This is just one skill of many you may need. If you have a simple skill building project to suggest start a new thread using a title similar to this one to make it easy to search for and perhaps we can build a library of skill building projects.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

They are neat little stoves. I've made a few myself and shone others how to build them.
    You can find pop cans everywhere so they are a handy tool to keep in your mind.

Paint/coffee can rocket stoves are another excellent stove to know about.

My dad made everyone at elk camp one year before last to place in their backpacks, along with a little sealed container of fuel.
    The stoves are very neat, and light weight, and could be very useful if you get in a jam...

Bo
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson